Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

End of the V8 in USA

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To use corn as a fuel...we would have to double our corn crops (meaning many things would not get grown we need) and import food. Corn for fuel is not the way to go.

W
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Vote for and elect the right President and guess what happens to rising CAFE standards?

Bye
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WECIV
To use corn as a fuel...we would have to double our corn crops (meaning many things would not get grown we need) and import food. Corn for fuel is not the way to go.

W
What's so wrong with doubling our corn crops? There is plenty of land owned by plenty of people who would love to get into an almost failsafe market such as that would become if we were to achive a mostly corn-gas market. Not to mention it could help get rid of alot of CRP land that should have crops growing on it but doesn't because the farmers get paid not to grow anything there.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
What's so wrong with doubling our corn crops? There is plenty of land owned by plenty of people who would love to get into an almost failsafe market such as that would become if we were to achive a mostly corn-gas market. Not to mention it could help get rid of alot of CRP land that should have crops growing on it but doesn't because the farmers get paid not to grow anything there.
thats very true, we have a lot of CRP on our land, our neighboring farm has that switch grass stuff which is supposed to be more efficient that corn
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pointless.

The current mark-up on FlexFuel and Hybrid cars negates the cost of gas. You either pay the extra $$ on your monthly car payment, or you pay it in gas. Your choice.

I noticed this when I was looking at a Honda Civic. I could either buy a newere Civic (~14,000-15,000) or I could buy a newer Civic HYBIRD (~19,000-20,000). Ok sweet, so I save a lil on gas, but I'm spending it for the car anyways so who gives a **** if I get better mileage. I don't care if I polute the air a little more if I am saving myself $5,000.

When a eco car becomes the standard and not a reason for a mark-up I'll buy one.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not just about the cost of gasoline, is about exhaustion of those resources that causes the price increase
Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Pointless.

The current mark-up on FlexFuel and Hybrid cars negates the cost of gas. You either pay the extra $$ on your monthly car payment, or you pay it in gas. Your choice.

I noticed this when I was looking at a Honda Civic. I could either buy a newere Civic (~14,000-15,000) or I could buy a newer Civic HYBIRD (~19,000-20,000). Ok sweet, so I save a lil on gas, but I'm spending it for the car anyways so who gives a **** if I get better mileage. I don't care if I polute the air a little more if I am saving myself $5,000.

When a eco car becomes the standard and not a reason for a mark-up I'll buy one.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
'cept for the fact that electric cars have a range of about 5 miles and still burn fossil fuels (coal, or "worse" Nuclear (not "fossil", I know)), they just centralize the burning to the power plants.

Plus, what happens to them in the long term? Batteries are not that easy to dispose of in an environmentally friendly fashion. What happens in a wreck? (between the spilled acid and potential high voltage arcing through the vehile, it would be tough for rescue workers and tow truck drivers) What happens to re-sale value? What happens with repair costs post-warranty? You'll be stuck in a perpetual lease, constantly upgrading to stay within the warranty period and because you don't be able to re-sell anything.

All get's back to too many people. lol Fewer people, less demand, cheaper prices. No matter what gets used, it'll always be a strain because of the scary population growth rate (increasingly as liberals handout industry to 3rd world nations).
Yep, totally agree. I've always wondered why people think that electric cars are the solution. Don't people remember all the problems with the electric grid issues and brownouts. If everybody had an electric car and plugged in at night to charge-up, this country would blow a circuit! The electric companies still mainly use coal, oil, and natural gas to generate electricity. Since there are soooo many freaks that oppose nuclear energy, this isn't going to change for a long time. Electric cars need electricity. Where's is going to come from?

Now, what I think should be researched is hydrogen powered vehicles. BMW has been working on this for a while. They have a 7 series converted to run on hydrogen and it still performs like a gasoline powered vehicle. The advantages of hydrogen are clean burning (water is the byproduct) and strong energy content. The disadvantages are storage of compressed hydrogen at extreme cold.

My thoughts are to work on a conversion processor to take ordinary water and distill the hydrogen out and inject in the engine. That way, you fill up on water, eliminate the need for dangerous hydrogen filling stations, and no storage within the car itself. This way, we still would have our internal combustion engines. BMW also has shown the ability on their 7 series test vehicle to switch between gasoline and hydrogen. The car runs on both and nothing would need to be modified to accomplish that.

So, if the need arises, maybe this technology will start getting the funding that's required. But, like everything, until it's needed, the research doesn't get done.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I read a good article a while back how electric cars are actually the most harmful cars. One reason was stated above by BAD2000TA. Another reason I remember was the amount of money and fuels burned just to create the battery for the car negated the amount of fuel they saved over I believe a 30yr span. I'll try to find it.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Yep, totally agree. I've always wondered why people think that electric cars are the solution. Don't people remember all the problems with the electric grid issues and brownouts. If everybody had an electric car and plugged in at night to charge-up, this country would blow a circuit! The electric companies still mainly use coal, oil, and natural gas to generate electricity. Since there are soooo many freaks that oppose nuclear energy, this isn't going to change for a long time. Electric cars need electricity. Where's is going to come from?

Now, what I think should be researched is hydrogen powered vehicles. BMW has been working on this for a while. They have a 7 series converted to run on hydrogen and it still performs like a gasoline powered vehicle. The advantages of hydrogen are clean burning (water is the byproduct) and strong energy content. The disadvantages are storage of compressed hydrogen at extreme cold.

My thoughts are to work on a conversion processor to take ordinary water and distill the hydrogen out and inject in the engine. That way, you fill up on water, eliminate the need for dangerous hydrogen filling stations, and no storage within the car itself. This way, we still would have our internal combustion engines. BMW also has shown the ability on their 7 series test vehicle to switch between gasoline and hydrogen. The car runs on both and nothing would need to be modified to accomplish that.

So, if the need arises, maybe this technology will start getting the funding that's required. But, like everything, until it's needed, the research doesn't get done.
Not everyone is against nuclear power. ANO just got renewed and everyone thought it wasn't going to happen.

You might be right that the grid may need upgrades if a TOTAL replacement of gas vehicles was implemented but I figure we will be ok if it is gradual. Most generators aren't at 100% operational cap. It costs too much per kilowatt to do that.

BTW the average car would need about 55kW of power under WOT acceleration. Just for reference.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA

the only problem is where does this hydrogen come from that could supply enough volume cheap enough?

currently the cheapest way that hydrogen is produced is called steam reforming using methane gas... methane is a fossil fuel which is also a greenhouse gas, didn't solve issue of independence from fossil fuels and didn't do anything to help with greenhouse gases.

how about electrolysis to produce hydrogen? uses electricity, still using fossil fuels... sorry

unlesss we build a huge infrastructure of windmills and solar panels to produce this electricity we're still in square one.

who ever comes up with a cheap way of producing hydrogen will be a very rich person
Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Also, just for reference you are looking at a ten year lifespan with a photovoltaic cell. The process to manufacture them uses a lot of harmful chemicals. Before you think it is all over though consider that the first cars were steam and electrical because no one thought IC engines worthy.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmy169
I don't know about this, I watched that who killed the electric car video and it was funny when they compared the 2 different cars going in for there tune up's, back when GM had that electric car out because the government mandated it. They show machanics talking about how they had to replace this this and that in the gas cars, and then they say how for the electric car they just rotated the tire's, added windshield washer fluid, and good to go, lol. One machanic had the usually greese and oil on em, the other that was working on the electric car said he didn't even have to wash his hands. The electric car seemed to be much more reliable, and this was back in the mid 90's.

Plus I think GM's volt looks pretty cool, a lot better looking than toyota's prius, the volt looks like a pissed off train, I like it. I'm just saying I think all it would take would be to make some better gas economical vehicle's to offset their higher gas mileage vehicle's like the v8, and I think that's not such a bad thing.
You totally missed the point. Your argument is analogous to the Mac user. Sure, their systems are generally more stable (though only slightly) and don't suffer the upgrade madness of real computers, but they pay for it on other ways. (real computers suffer their problems because of their very flexibility and need to be upgraded because they are being so heavily utilized, but the point is you HAVE that flexibility and CAN upgrade (or repair) them without having to toss and replace the whole system)

It's the same everywhere. Integration is normally a bad thing. The point is that those gas cars COULD replace all those bits and pieces. What happens with the electric when it does break? Large pieces have to be replaced because they can't be repaired (kinda like how if you had an all in one motherboard with no expansion slots and the video or NIC died, you have to dump all the good parts and spend a lot more money).

Take note of just how often batteries die and how expensive they are (and I mean rechargables, like your cordless or cell phones). Once the warranty runs out you will be faced with HUGE repair costs and no re-sale value. Thus, you have to keep buying new cars all the time.

And as mentioned, you spend a few hundred bucks on a sound gas burner and you can drive for a decade before you reach the buy-in cost of the electric.

ICE is the way to go, you just need to improve on the vehicle it's housed in and run other fuels. Electrics are a dead end pushed by those who haven't really thought it out, and those who wish to profit because of it.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TriShield
The biggest issue with diesels is emissions (which cause cancer at a much higher rate than gasoline emissions), they are very dirty engines that require complex emissions systems to make them "cleaner". Diesels typically add a hefty premium to the price of a vehicle too, a premium many people are not going to be willing to pay.

Moore specific to us, diesel may be fine for an A to B car but it does not make a great performance car. Diesel engines do not rev freely nor do they rev all that high, something that will take a lot of the fun out of driving.
Modern diesels are clean burning. You are talking about old diesel fuel and engines. They have come a long way.

Not only are they cleaner burning with proper oil, they can run on non-petro based fuels, they don't have an octane limit to the amount of compression or boost that you can run, and the technology of them in performance applications has ALSO come much further than you realize.

Audi won with a diesel powere Le Mans prototype. Audi has plans to put a diesel in the R8. Gale Banks has run a Duramax diesel truck into the 7s (7.96@167.34), a Cummins diesel Dakota over hte salt at 222mph, and is currently road racing another Duramax diesel truck. He's working on aluminum block technology and increasing rev range (which is already better than you suggest).

Those speeds and ETs do not suggest a lack of fun for enthusiasts.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

i think the biggest problem in the us is huge cars driving with only one person commuting everyday, lack of a good public transportation sytem, no real incentive for commuters, and huge unneccesary vehicules on the freeway.......i lived in south america where its supposely a third wourld contry there was transportation anywhere at any time busses pass with a interval of 10 min anywhere and buses are just alowed to use specific roads and certain times lowering traffic congestion 50 percent of people dont have cars because the transportation is so efficient......i know for sure that if transportation was that efficient here i would take the bus to work everyday....... they should have vehicules like the smart etc more efficent cars on the rode for DAILY USE AND COMMUTING......SO WE CAN HAVE FUN WITH OUR CARS ON THE WEEKENDS
Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey did you guys just see Chicken Little come running through here? He was screaming something about the sky falling.......
Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Modern diesels are clean burning. You are talking about old diesel fuel and engines. They have come a long way.

Not only are they cleaner burning with proper oil, they can run on non-petro based fuels, they don't have an octane limit to the amount of compression or boost that you can run, and the technology of them in performance applications has ALSO come much further than you realize.

Audi won with a diesel powere Le Mans prototype. Audi has plans to put a diesel in the R8. Gale Banks has run a Duramax diesel truck into the 7s (7.96@167.34), a Cummins diesel Dakota over hte salt at 222mph, and is currently road racing another Duramax diesel truck. He's working on aluminum block technology and increasing rev range (which is already better than you suggest).

Those speeds and ETs do not suggest a lack of fun for enthusiasts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poCsdMrm998

He is just sick. lol Part 1 of that is on there too and good as well, but this is the one where he's talking about diesels and his current projects.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Electric cars are only a useable idea if.....we have plenty of nuclear, wind, and solar power. Then they are a good idea.

W
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rustylt1
Maybe in the near future cars wilth V8s will be fought over like the gas in the Mad Max movies
Awesome!!!

I'm ready to kill some of you f$@kers!!!

j/k
Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Blame the stupid greedy ******' oil companies....It's all their fault gas is so pricey

And people need to stop banging so much (too many people to live comfortably)
Old 01-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mid
And people need to stop banging so much (too many people to live comfortably)
Taking responsibility for one's actions. I agree with you there.

Quick Reply: End of the V8 in USA