Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Bob Lutz: Global Warming a "total crock of sh*t"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about ready to boycott GM because of all their whining. I mean geez I don't see Dodge or Ford crying about it, I think I will get a better look at the challenger when I am ready to buy a newer car, rather than the camaro.

It's sad really GM has some of the best engineer's, they have some great gas economy concepts like the volt which has gotten such a great reaction from the public, and STILL they're whining about it. Maybe if they give the people more gas economical cars to choose from, the people would have more money to buy newer cars from them more often to replace their older cars, instead of sending that money oversea's to make the CEO's of gas company's billions more in their pockets.

I bet this has nothing to do with global warming...I just don't get why GM complains so much about making better gas economical vehicle's, are they really invested in the oil company's that much or something?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Global warming is BS as the temperatures has been warming co2 has increased not the other way around...stupid misleading hockey stick graph.

I dont think the govt should be forcing the companys to get better MPG but instead the consumer....I mean even if the consumer don't demanded that much as tech increases so will MPG IMO.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by El es one
Global warming is BS as the temperatures has been warming co2 has increased not the other way around...stupid misleading hockey stick graph.

I dont think the govt should be forcing the companys to get better MPG but instead the consumer....I mean even if the consumer don't demanded that much as tech increases so will MPG IMO.
Yeah but #1, what if it's not BS? #2 I don't see how this new law can hurt us. We're giving so much of our money to those CEO's oversee's that give us our gas, it's crazy the profits they've made, how much did they make every second of last year again, I can't remember...I just remember that I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Why do we have to give them our hard earned money, people are living paycheck to paycheck as is already, having a vehicle that's much better on gas will put a lot of money back into their pockets to support their family and keep the economy moving...our U.S economy I mean, not the economy of one CEO that has more money than he knows what to do with.

Again I'm just asking, how does raising the "average" mpg hurt us? Average meaning we could still have our sports cars...it's abvious GM has the technology to balance out a v8 with a much more fuel efficient vehicle, does this law say all the cars have to meet 30+mpg or just the average?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the actual percentage of oil used per barrel of oil on cars. Isnt it like 17 percent, and the other 83 percent is used for factories etc.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Yeah but #1, what if it's not BS? #2 I don't see how this new law can hurt us. We're giving so much of our money to those CEO's oversee's that give us our gas, it's crazy the profits they've made, how much did they make every second of last year again, I can't remember...I just remember that I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Why do we have to give them our hard earned money, people are living paycheck to paycheck as is already, having a vehicle that's much better on gas will put a lot of money back into their pockets to support their family and keep the economy moving...our U.S economy I mean, not the economy of one CEO that has more money than he knows what to do with.

Again I'm just asking, how does raising the "average" mpg hurt us? Average meaning we could still have our sports cars...it's abvious GM has the technology to balance out a v8 with a much more fuel efficient vehicle, does this law say all the cars have to meet 30+mpg or just the average?
it hurts us because the gov't is telling us what we can manufacture and what we have to buy as consumers... sure the cause is good, the less oil we use the less dependent we are on other countries, but I think the gov't shouldn't get involved in telling the people what they can and can't produce/buy
Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
it hurts us because the gov't is telling us what we can manufacture and what we have to buy as consumers... sure the cause is good, the less oil we use the less dependent we are on other countries, but I think the gov't shouldn't get involved in telling the people what they can and can't produce/buy

I think there should be a balance to what the government can and can't control. It would be wrong to say they can't make this or that, period, or tell us what we cannot eat because it could make us fat, but something like this I think is needed now because the car manufacturers would rather keep things the way they are, because it's cheaper, while gas price's continue to go through the roof.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I think there should be a balance to what the government can and can't control. It would be wrong to say they can't make this or that, period, or tell us what we cannot eat because it could make us fat, but something like this I think is needed now because the car manufacturers would rather keep things the way they are, because it's cheaper, while gas price's continue to go through the roof.

By making car companies up their MPG average they are going to pass some of that cost onto us the consumers and I'm sure when it comes time to pay for that technology that the Gov has made companies use consumer's will bitch.

There are so many solutions and also a lot of bs going around, and also people's own ideas on what should be done that we'll never reach an agreement. I want to keep the enviroment healthy but I also don't want to have to drive a hybrid because that's all that is produced. I would rather have a law that says any perofrmance vehicle has to be driven on weekends or something to that effect than get rid of them entirely
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
By making car companies up their MPG average they are going to pass some of that cost onto us the consumers and I'm sure when it comes time to pay for that technology that the Gov has made companies use consumer's will bitch.

There are so many solutions and also a lot of bs going around, and also people's own ideas on what should be done that we'll never reach an agreement. I want to keep the enviroment healthy but I also don't want to have to drive a hybrid because that's all that is produced. I would rather have a law that says any perofrmance vehicle has to be driven on weekends or something to that effect than get rid of them entirely

I don't think they will get rid of them entirely though. I see what your saying, but I think it's up to the car manufacturers whether they wanna have all hybrids. IMO this law push's for more choices than anything else. Supply and demand will still reign supreme imo though. If most people don't wanna drive hybrids they won't have to. But I think there will be enough people buying both, hybrids and non-hybrids, with todays gas more people seem to be pushing for gas economy cars anyway, I think this could only help their business.

American car manufacturers seemed to think this same way before, and look where it got them. Toyota and Honda are reigning supreme now, and it seems to be because they have more fuel efficient/better economy and more reliable vehicle's.

I don't like the idea of the government getting too involved in the market, but I hate and am extremely sick of rising gas price's and paying so much at the pump, I guess I am just not as well off as most people here (and I have an integra for a daily, right now it's hard to find that much better gas mileage vehicle's than an integra).
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kingc8r

So you are ok with the gov't telling you what you can drive and when you can drive it??
Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Government just said you can't have your car. It must be crushed now since it doesn't meet new "enviromental" standards.

Now tell me you wouldn't be pissed? That's basicly what the ******* tree hugging hippie bitches would do if they could considering how they seem to be ******* every damn politician to get thier way...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

I'm just tired of career idiot's playing off peoples fears to get what they want mainly more power. it's funny that co2 causes warming buy the green house effect but a valcaino causes a ige age when it put's to much sulfur in the air. I'm sorry but the rules of the game don't change as you go they stay the same.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dvboard
Government just said you can't have your car. It must be crushed now since it doesn't meet new "enviromental" standards.

Now tell me you wouldn't be pissed? That's basicly what the ******* tree hugging hippie bitches would do if they could considering how they seem to be ******* every damn politician to get thier way...
I would be pissed, but they didn't say that. Like I said I believe there should be a balance, everything isn't that black and white, where you either can or can't have something, I think this new law is fair and create's a fair balance, it just up's the average making them push the technology they have out to the market faster, because gas price's are soaring fast. They have the technology, they just don't wanna produce it cause it costs a lot, while they wait, we pay the price, and those few ceo's become more insanely rich by the minute. It boils my blood knowing how much money goes to the CEO's while people are suffering here.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dogger
I'm just tired of career idiot's playing off peoples fears to get what they want mainly more power. it's funny that co2 causes warming buy the green house effect but a valcaino causes a ige age when it put's to much sulfur in the air. I'm sorry but the rules of the game don't change as you go they stay the same.
There's a ton of danger's out there. I was watching it on history channel, interesting stuff, lol. A big volcano eruption can be devistating just the same, and scientists say we are overdue for one, a big commit hitting the earth...they are worried about a particular one that will miss the earth in a few years, but then is calculated to come back dangerously close, and there is a small percent chance that it will go into our atmosphere, it's a small chance but small enough to cause a great concern because the results would be catastrophic. There's a ton of danger's out there in the universe don't get it twisted, lol. Watch history channel, i forgot what the show was called...the universe.... i think it was called, lol.

wow I can't believe I'm replying so much, I've been too scared to reply thinking I'd get chewed up and spit out. But oh well w/e it's just my opinion, not trying to state it as fact, just like debating.

Last edited by jimmy169; 02-15-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

10mph gallon cars burn less fuel then electric cars . Do some research if you doubt it...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
10mph gallon cars burn less fuel then electric cars . Do some research if you doubt it...
No.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Bout time someone in the auto industry said it!

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz: Global Warming a "total crock of sh*t"