Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Holden Coupe 60 Concept (New Monaro/Pontiac GTO)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WECIV
This one cures the problems of the last Goat. I for one was a fan...not on the looks but the drive train. This car would have the drive train and the looks that say...GTO. The old Goat was just too blah to be as popular as something like this would. This car should come here as the new Goat. You could sell that for 35k.

W
I totally agree with you, this thing has Judge written all over it. It has a tough modern look to it, and those side pipes really work great with the body of the car. As MZOOMORA stated i would like to see it raised a bit, not because i don't like the look. I think it looks fantastic, but here in Miami the streets are garbage, and every entrance and exit to a gas station looks like your going up hill. That car would be a real winner in the states, and if gas prizes weren't as ridiculous as they are, im sure GM will make a killing off it.
-Joel
Old 03-02-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Agree it should be raised a bit. That would be a pain in the *** in DC. But it is really **** hot!!!

W
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 AM
11 Second Club

A little riced-out looking to me as well, I like the Camaro prototype much better. Not a bad looking car though, just not my taste.

But besides the "boost" on the dash, is it just me or does that look more like an intercooler than a radiator in the front there?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the fender flares, raise it up an inch or so, and get some 17" wheels that look more like a muscle car and less like a Skyline.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

The boys down under are starting to make some sick cars.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Keep the fender flares, raise it up an inch or so, and get some 17" wheels that look more like a muscle car and less like a Skyline.
I think it looks awesome! I reflect your sentiments on this issue as well. That's the only flaw I find with the car.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I think it looks awesome! I reflect your sentiments on this issue as well. That's the only flaw I find with the car.
Yep, I am waiting for GM to announce this is the new Chevelle/GTO.............maybe I should not hold my breath.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want that car. I dont want it to be labeled a Pontiac GTO, a Chevy Chevelle, or anything like that. Just keep it a Holden. You wouldn't be trying to recreate a legend. You would be creating a new legend. And screw all this retro stuff. If they were selling this car in the U.S. I would buy it. Why don't you listen GM?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I think G8 coupe would be good. The hi-po LS3 G8 coupe could wear "GTO" like other Pontiacs where "GXP".
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

A G8 coupe should be offered, I agree.

G8 lineup:
Sedan
Coupe
Ute
Wagon

Would be a nice lineup.

W
Old 03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
A G8 coupe should be offered, I agree.

G8 lineup:
Sedan
Coupe
Ute
Wagon

Would be a nice lineup.

W
Indeed it would. Those cars combined with the new Alpha platform and kappa's would make a fairly complete, yet fairly unique lineup for Pontiac.

Off topic, but I think Buick needs some small cars...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Perhaps old news, but I thought I'd share...

A Motor Trend article on the coupe stated that in order for it to reach production, even in Australia, it would have to be sold under a different GM division in the US, and that "the G8 front clip, left hand drive interior set, badges, and other bits have already been engineered and basically would bolt straight on."

Now, there's good news in that, and bad. First off, GM execs are worried that there may not be room for the coupe as the mid-price rear-drive coupe market is going to be saturated with the new Challenger and Camaro. Also, to meet safety requirements a new B-pillar would have to be engineered to meet side-impact crash standards. Now if they want this car to sell, I suggest leaving it as is. If all that is done to the car, and I mean ALL, is what was shown in that artist's conception earlier in the thread the car will probably sell well. Keep it looking like a Holden. So many American cars, some European and Asian as well, come to look like every other car offered by the manufacturer. Pontiac is pretty guilty of this, by trying to add the same grill to every car they put out. Replace the badge, and nothing else. I like the clean look of the car's side profile as well, and adding a B-pillar would break it up too much. I don't see why they couldn't keep it the way it is with a floating B-pillar, much the same as the Chevy SS concept from a few years back. If it won't pass crush-standards, market it as a convertible. Add a sliding or removable roof panel if necessary. I'm incredibly anxious for the return of the Camaro, but if what I said here was actually implemented, I'd have a tough choice on my hands.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 AM
9 Second Club

I think that is one of the coolest cars ive ever laid eyes on. I want one!

Quick Reply: Revealed - Holden Coupe 60 Concept (New Monaro/Pontiac GTO)