TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Link to first SSR sold to public ---->

Crazyquik, that Motor Trend quote said it all. Nuff said
Old 07-31-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hm. im wondering what is uglier .. the man who bought that thing or the thing itself.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Marauder has been cancelled.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What i don't get is gm threw out the f-body because it was a "niche" vehicle. Only to bring out a "niche" vehicle
Old 08-01-2003, 02:06 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

I dno i like it.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

I would drive it before an Assteck though
Old 08-01-2003, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like a PT cruiser took a crap
Old 08-01-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

i think its a cool car (truck). much better than the pt cruiser. a step in the right direction for GM.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

base price of 41k? pops picked up his brand new Z06 for 42k? i'll wait a week and save the extra G to pick up the vette. nuff said...
Old 08-04-2003, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

I like it..to pricy though. Just wait till someone gets some mods onto that engine. But yea can't wait to see what kinda bugs it comes with from the factory..condsidering it has that niffy re-tractable top. Should be fun LOL.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Kind of reminds me of a new VW Beetle
Old 08-04-2003, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

I read a few more car magazines why hanging at the in-laws.

IMHO the SSR will be a flop. Road & Track think it's a dodo and will follow the Prowler and the Thunderbird.

At $41K base price, 4700 curb weight, and with 2500 lb towing capacity, it's not going to sell the 15,000 units it needs to move in the 2nd year or production to survive. IMHO it's a cumulative pile of crap. Someone at GM should have said "Wait guys, we can't release this, it does not that fast OR PRACTICAL." In my mind for 40 large it needs to be one or the other.

I bet the GTO will be a huge hit, as will the CTS-v, and then we will see Chevy come out with a GTO clone!
Old 08-04-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

How this could be appealing to anyone I dont know.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

I bet the GTO will be a huge hit, as will the CTS-v, and then we will see Chevy come out with a GTO clone!
Chevelle?

GM is stuck so deep in internal red tape and stupid business school theories that I don't think they'll ever get to where they could be (the premier automaker in the world). I was recently reading a 1993 issue of Car and Driver, about how all the new brand managers and marketers from grocery store products were supposed to sweep in and change the whole auto industry thru thier marketing savvy. What did it get us, the Malibu and the Aztek.

Brock Yates summed up how I feel about all of GM in one paragraph this month in his editorial in Car and Driver. He was speaking about the Indy 500, and prior to this paragraph, about how Chevrolet has been running a rebadged Oldsmobile engine in thier IRL cars, and the ground pounding they got by Honda and Toyota (in Toyota's rookie year) at Indy.
Sadly, it follows a pattern of half-assed efforts by Chevrolet and GM in many aspects of racing, tracing back to the aborted Corvette SS campaign of 1957 to the Grand Sport shutdown in the mid-1960s to the IMSA GT program in the 1980. The Cadillac debacle at Le Mans from '00 through '02 is the latest disaster. Yes, the Vettes have done well in recent international endurance racing, as long as the Vipers, Ferraris, and the Porsches don'tplay seriously. Chevrolet, beyond the elemental work necssary to refine the ancient pushrod engines for NASCAR, has never devoted the same cost-is-no-object intensity to its racing programs that is commonplace at Toyota and Honda, not to mention Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Porsche.
While I'm on my soapbox, here is another thing that irks me. When Harley Earl came to town, his first assignment was "design a car that you would like to drive." Wow, what a great revolutionary idea!!! Have designers build cars that they would want to be seen in, not survey the market for 4 years and then make the designers sketch some uninspired, amorphious blob that no one wants to see. Hell, go watch some GM commercials, they almost never show the cars because they aren't worth showing!!!

Toyota recently came out with an updated minivan. Prior to this, they made the cheif designer drive 40,000 miles in the predessesor, so he would have ample time to note and provide fixes and improvements for anything he didn't like in the older one. I highly doubt there are cheif stylist at GM driving around in Malibus, Impalas, Jbodies, Monte Carlos, or Azteks looking for any flaws so they can improve the next model (although they should be forced to as punishment for signing off on these cars).

They just don't get it. If you design a great car, you can tell the marketing staff to go home because they're useless. Its only when you design uninspired shitboxes do you have to "market" them, usually by not even showing them in the commercials, lest you wouldn't want to scare people away.

They want to sell 15,000 SSRs a year. Instead they should try and make the next Monte Carlo as captivating and beholding to the eye, as well as offering performance options, as the 1955 Chevrolet was, a car that sold over a million copies.

J.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Hell, I love the prowler too. Just wish it had a little
more under the hood.
Guy at work just got one, (or just started driving it to work)
and it is just plain sweet!

Quick Reply: First SSR sold to public