Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test & Video - Dodge Challenger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

AFAIK, SRT models have no powertrain warranty.

Camaro >>> SRT8 Challenger
Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WECIV
"For 2010, the federal government has mandated certain ESP interventions on all cars regardless of whether the system is off or on."

I agree it is scary, but it will save a lot of lives and that is worth us having to reprogram the damn things.

W
you do realize the new obd programs will be able to catch any tampering with the ecu right?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
The sixties called...they want their car back. This retro styling does little for me. Pretty good numbers for such a lard-*** though. If the new camaro gets the LS3, should be a good match.
My LS1 camaro ran those times stock so what are you talking about? LS3 5th gen should be in a different ballpark then the Challenger. It's a nice crusing car. Definitely not a car you would bring to the track.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
you do realize the new obd programs will be able to catch any tampering with the ecu right?
Then we'll tamper with the programs that detect tampering.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Just a sidenote:
Why doesn't Mopar actually use a true HEMI anymore? They are still a very power efficient head design. I would think a modernized version with today's technology would be able to get better mpg than the 426 did and still get gobs more power.

Or is it because they aren't as bullet proof as old school motors?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Just a sidenote
That's what these engines are. HEMI is a Chrysler brand name like MAGNUM or Viper or Jeep. The name is derived from the head design that debuted on a V8 they made in the 1950s but the public knows it stands for high horsepower Chrysler V8s. As it should.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dom
My LS1 camaro ran those times stock so what are you talking about? LS3 5th gen should be in a different ballpark then the Challenger. It's a nice crusing car. Definitely not a car you would bring to the track.
And this is larger, heavier car with a whole lot more equipment, a rigid unibody chassis, fully independent suspension and monocoque body structure. It's extremely impressive it runs as fast as lighter cars out of the box. It also looks damn good doing it.

Why wouldn't you bring these to the track? People race virtually everything from motorcycles to diesel pickups down at Firebird and Speedworld here. There's also a few SRT8s here (that weigh more) that run 11s as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
And this is larger, heavier car with a whole lot more equipment, a rigid unibody chassis, fully independent suspension and monocoque body structure. It's extremely impressive it runs as fast as lighter cars out of the box. It also looks damn good doing it.

Why wouldn't you bring these to the track? People race virtually everything from motorcycles to diesel pickups down at Firebird and Speedworld here. There's also a few SRT8s here (that weigh more) that run 11s as well.
Personal preference, I'm not a fan of raceing tanks. Car looks good, has a ton of power, perfect for crusing around town.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test & Video - Dodge Challenger SRT8