Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

It's On - ZR1 Chief Says GTR Won't be King of the 'Ring for Long

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think both cars are awesome. Personally I would rather have a ZR1 than a GTR, but if some one gave me a GTR, i wouldn't turn it down.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't turn it down either, i'd give it a nice run then toss it on ebay for 100K just so i can get myself a ZR1. I agree with you guys that there are alot of us with GM bias, but then again many of us just say it to **** off the fan boys that continue to register even when they are constantly banned over and over. Im not a huge fan of the car, and i have never been. Never been a huge fan of AWD, i'll take a real manual transmission over paddle shifters any day, horsepower is pretty nice, love the drivers information thing, and think the interior is pretty ugly for being Nissans HALO car. And my SIG says it all...
-Joel
Old 05-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Launching!

i think both manufactures should bring the cars off the showroom floor have them checked out by a tech disclose any mods or variations if any from a production model and then run back to back record the whole event and settle it
Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Who cares if we have GM bias. We don't have to "respect" or "give props to" any other fast car. If the Japs have a fast car, good for them. I could care less.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Anyone want to guess what cellis', 25psi,45psi, etc, next screen name will be?
How about; sellusouttojapan or pimpforjapan.
Not working for ya?
OK, try; kamikazeboiee, zero (as in the WW2 Mitsushitsu fighter plane) psi
Or one I'll have to give Tony (Nine Ball) credit for coming up with; geeterfanboi

Last edited by dailydriver; 05-03-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Regardless of what numbers either car puts down and it which way they do it, they are both great feats of engineering, same as the Veyron was when it came out.
I think we'd all like to see them run one after the other with the same driver yadadada but that won't happen. I think GM hit the Nail on the head with the ZR-1 and then Nissan will or has answered right back with the V-spec and then I would like to assume that Porsche will answer back and reclaim the title.
Basically whoever goes fastest on a certain day is impressive but props to both companies for making fantastic cars.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

HELL YEAH!!! I cannot wait for this thing to smack down...

However to not activate the GTR's AWD...run what the factory brung.

W
Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Deactivate 2 cylinders in the Vette also then..........

Hmmm...

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Yeah and lets deactivate the zr1's 2 extra cylinders while we're at it

Please don't start this type of game again...
Sorry, someone beat you to it WAY back in page one.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Who cares if we have GM bias. We don't have to "respect" or "give props to" any other fast car. If the Japs have a fast car, good for them. I could care less.
No one said you have to do anything...

Just like the car enthusiasts who are not fanboys don't have to hate the car like the GM redneck club.

In fact, since none of us don't have to do anything, it should be obvious we are by choice discussing the car that is the Vette's main rival as of late... Very relevant stuff, you know... It's not like the GTR is off topic.

So forgive us if some of us, whether we like the car or not, don't mind what you call "giving props" but I call it being an informed enthusiast with an appreciation for fast cars.

And bias is not bad, for the cars we love I agree, that is until you start making retarded arguments like the two cylinders one above... But no, bias is not bad who cares?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bboyferal

So forgive us if some of us, whether we like the car or not, don't mind what you call "giving props" but I call it being an informed enthusiast with an appreciation for fast cars.

Couldn't agree more!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bboyferal

Just like the car enthusiasts who are not fanboys don't have to hate the car like the GM redneck club.

In fact, since none of us don't have to do anything, it should be obvious we are by choice discussing the car that is the Vette's main rival as of late... Very relevant stuff, you know... It's not like the GTR is off topic.

And bias is not bad, for the cars we love I agree, that is until you start making retarded arguments like the two cylinders one above... But no, bias is not bad who cares?
I couldn't agree more.....

PS
To Bboyferal: Foxhound rules!!!!

TJ
Old 05-03-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

It doesn't mean everyone has to agree with your bias, #1, and #2, it doesn't mean you guys have to cry on every thread that mentions something beside's GM. Just don't click the thread, move on, grow up, realize that there are other performance cars out there beside's GM models that have been tried and pruven, some even being a better bang for the buck depending on your goals. Come on you have to admit, wouldn't it be boring if there were no other different performance cars out there beside's GM cars.

Most of the people on here that disagree with you guys own or have owned GM cars and/or other muscle cars. This section is automotive news/meida & press, it's not a specific section like the new camaro, or the new possible firebird, there's already sections for that, if that's all you care about stick to those sections, leave the general automotive talk to those who are interested. Like I said before, tough concept I know.

Last edited by jimmy169; 05-03-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
This isn't documented by the ring officials. The runs aren't even timed by the officials. "Test lapping" is done and timed completely by the individuals using the track at the time...an official checks the car to make sure it complies with track rules (which is kinda pointless for a street car so there really isn't alot of attention paid there), they are issued a pit area for equipment staging, and that's it. Test drivers are able to use any section of track that is cleared for use that day.

Not even sanctioned events are timed by track officials. The governing body oversees all event officiating.

I hope you understand that it is not speculation, but common knowledge that the GT-R acheived it's times with a rolling start...

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos/10...urburgring.htm

This is not uncommon practice, a good chunk of the cars on the "official" list used the same procedures in their runs...some did not. Shows how great of a gauge this new found ring frenzy really is when it comes to performance.

The GT-R took six months of on and off-track testing, specially engineered tires, AWD, and every trick in the book to run a 7:29 just a few weeks ago. It's first run on the ring was 8:14. Well the ZR1 just showed up last week and it's first run was a 7:42.

Do a little interpolation there and go cry about what you learn.
LMAO

******* brutal dude!

Yeah...I'm about to stop giving new GTR lovers the benefit of the doubt at this point...how many times have I been burned by this motherf#cker?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Give each the same tires and see what they can do. If you want a better head to head comparrison, deactivate the GTRs AWD.
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

ZR1 won't be able to beat the GTR and why don't you make some more ricerboy excuses. Ohh let's deactivate the GTR's awd. Hahahahhahahahha

That's fine. That goes the same for the non GM fanboi's. Why would we give props to a POS chevrolet that can't beat a 70K dollar Nissan around the track?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok then, GTR can keep AWD, and the ZR1 gets to keep all of it's cylinders firing. But we remove the supercharger from the ZR1 and remove the turbos from the GTR. Then we put them on the same sized tire, same gallons of gas......
That whole fist post of mine was a bit tongue in cheek. I was playing on the posts of the other 'ring threads.
Sorry if any of you thought it was serious or argumentative.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by COD02SS
ZR1 won't be able to beat the GTR and why don't you make some more ricerboy excuses. Ohh let's deactivate the GTR's awd. Hahahahhahahahha
OK I agree with you about how ridiculous the idea of deactivating the AWD is, but damn dude...don't you pay attention or are you really that dense?

I'll try to spell it out for those who need special attention:

- More than six months ago, when the GT-R first showed up at the Ring, it ran a respectable 8:14. Here we are now, after more than six months of rigorous testing and development, and the car has run an astounding 7:29. Awesome. That's a 45 sec improvement.

- When the ZR1 showed up at the Ring just a couple of weeks ago, it ran a 7:42. That's ALREADY 32 seconds faster than the GT-Rs first run. The GT-R improved by 45 seconds over six months. Even if the Vette only garners half as much improvement in it's time under the scope, it will be capable of at least 7:20.

Get it yet? Again, nothing against the GT-R, it's a damn impressive car, but it's just not in the same league as a car like the ZR1. Remember on top of all this, the GT-R ran these times on R-comp tires from a running start (and possibly on a shortened course). The ZR1 will work it's magic from a standstill on extremely traction limited street runflats.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by COD02SS
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

That's fine. That goes the same for the non GM fanboi's. Why would we give props to a POS chevrolet that can't beat a 70K dollar Nissan around the track?
Why should we give props to a car that requires a running start?
-Joel
Old 05-04-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
OK I agree with you about how ridiculous the idea of deactivating the AWD is, but damn dude...don't you pay attention or are you really that dense?

I'll try to spell it out for those who need special attention:

- More than six months ago, when the GT-R first showed up at the Ring, it ran a respectable 8:14. Here we are now, after more than six months of rigorous testing and development, and the car has run an astounding 7:29. Awesome. That's a 45 sec improvement.

- When the ZR1 showed up at the Ring just a couple of weeks ago, it ran a 7:42. That's ALREADY 32 seconds faster than the GT-Rs first run. The GT-R improved by 45 seconds over six months. Even if the Vette only garners half as much improvement in it's time under the scope, it will be capable of at least 7:20.

Get it yet? Again, nothing against the GT-R, it's a damn impressive car, but it's just not in the same league as a car like the ZR1. Remember on top of all this, the GT-R ran these times on R-comp tires from a running start (and possibly on a shortened course). The ZR1 will work it's magic from a standstill on extremely traction limited street runflats.
Are we done with this BS yet?
Until otherwise all your doing is bench racing! This isn't about potential it's about actual. For right now if the numbers prove correct than the GTR is the King of the Ring for production cars. We all believe the ZR1 will make a good showing but enough with the "It will be capable of at least 7:20". Dude right NOW...it's a 7:42 car and THAT'S IT!
I think I as well as everyone else are very excited to see what GM will be capable of running with the ZR1 but regardless of how big a boner this car gives you it's not faster than 7:42 yet.
If this was any other car...let's say it was the Ford GT, people with GM blinders on would start ragging on how slow it's time was, saying the car sucks and it's slow and yadadada because of it's initial run. And I assure you if you go to a Ford Forum you'll find some people ragging on the ZR1 and it's initial time. Let the cards play man...Let's all watch how well it does rather than claim to know what it will do!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Thats the thing i honestly think we will never get a correct time and end this war. From what i have heard the GTR uses running starts, and GM uses what i believe is to be the correct method in the standing start. Then theres the who used what section of track, and what corner of said section was alittle damp. When i look at the specs of the GTR i honestly believe that no factory GTR will be able to run the numbers that Nissan ran. I may be incorrect in saying that, for all i know maybe the car is just that incredibly advanced. Go figure that the same time the GTR V-Spec or whatever you want to call it has been testing, the normal GTR just posted an insane number. And the numbers aren't that much further from that of the V-Spec. I think a set of rules should be made, if they haven't made them already:
1. Production car is just that production car, basically taken right off the assembly line.
2. Production car tires, whether it be run flats or racing tires. If the production model comes with it then let it be.
3. NO tuning or engine modifications should be done to the vehicle what-so-ever. Even if you want to test a theory you bring another car, or that cars times wont be recorded if messed with.
Basically im saying the car should come off the trailer, have fluids, air pressure, all the normal things checked then it should hit the track. And if possible have both cars run the track at the same time, moment one gets off the other gets on. Yes i know its never going to happen, but thats the way i see us finding out whos really King of the 'Ring.
-Joel
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

I think we may have to wait for topgear to get there hands on these cars.

Quick Reply: It's On - ZR1 Chief Says GTR Won't be King of the 'Ring for Long