Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

It's On - ZR1 Chief Says GTR Won't be King of the 'Ring for Long

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I can't wait till Spoolin' comes on here tomorrow and tells me just how much of an idiot I am for even THINKING about not calling the GTR the ultimate device of road-going pleasure-boating.

I need to stop letting these fanboys get my goat, but it's hard to do sometimes. I'm actually an old fan of Nissan's, but lately, all these manic "supporters" of the GTR have pretty much turned me off from anything new they put out...

Man, how did this one get turned into a GTR thread again? Can someone enlighten me why everything in this damn section devolves into a bitch-fest about that stupid little rice-rocket? Seriously, I don't mind news about it, but speculation and arguments are not what I come on this website to see.

Blechhh...I need some sleep already....
Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

What did the ls7 ZO6 run at the ring?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver 00 SS
What did the ls7 ZO6 run at the ring?
7:42 if I remember right. People can say what they want but I could see it making up the 13 seconds vs. the gtr easily with the same tires the gtr wears and a running start. Not to bash on the gtr, but more on gm, why isnt there a z06 at the ring right now for some 'testing'? Put the exact same damn tires the nissan is wearing and do a couple running starts, I'd be suprised as **** if it didnt better a 7:29.

Ultimatly the gtr is pretty cool. I dont think its anywhere near what all the hype is making it out to be, and people are going to be pretty dissapointed if they believe it when they drive off the lot. Honestly I'd put it right on par with a z06. Which, for a p.o.s. company like nissan, is a pretty big compliment.

I think the vtech... I mean vspec is going to be right on par with a zr1, price and performance. Really after all the hype dies down its going to be so close between the two it depends on what someone looking to buy- a car you can drive or a car that can drive you. Either way, if it can put a smile on their face for ~100k, so be it.

Seriously, not to repeat myself, but I think gm should start publishing two sets of times from the ring. First set from a stop with runflats, second set from a roll with some sticky tires. Just to keep the competition in check.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the front reminds me of a Nike Basketball Shoe.

=

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Oh!

Oh, what the f5ck ever, dude. You wouldn't know what being a sports car constitutes if it walked up, took advantage of you, then put the video on the internet.

Get over yourself.

How many legendary sports cars had AWD, two usable rear seats, and a semi-auto transmission?

How many legendary sports cars had RWD, a manual transmission, and weren't GT's?

You lose. Go cry in the corner like the import-***** you really try hard to make yourself out to be.

The GTR is no sports car, and it hardly deserves the label, just like the Skyline never earned the moniker. In fact, in Japan, they are considered "muscle cars."

Edit: Damn, I'm a little hostile at night, ay?
Well, that "muscle car" outhandles all of their "sports cars."
Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mekkadon
the front reminds me of a Nike Basketball Shoe.

I loved those Jordan's. They look WAY better than the GTR...and they
outperform it as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Oh!

Oh, what the f5ck ever, dude. You wouldn't know what being a sports car constitutes if it walked up, took advantage of you, then put the video on the internet.

Get over yourself.

How many legendary sports cars had AWD, two usable rear seats, and a semi-auto transmission?

How many legendary sports cars had RWD, a manual transmission, and weren't GT's?

You lose. Go cry in the corner like the import-***** you really try hard to make yourself out to be.

The GTR is no sports car, and it hardly deserves the label, just like the Skyline never earned the moniker. In fact, in Japan, they are considered "muscle cars."

Edit: Damn, I'm a little hostile at night, ay?

You can hate awd all you want but to say it's not a "true" sports car since it's awd, and that the 350z is more of a sports car...I didn't know you wrote the rule book as to what a true sports car is? hhmmm, isn't there an awd turbo porsche that some might say is a pretty damn good sports car, guess not, what a waste since it doesn't fit your definition of a sports car, then there's...the lambo is a toss up I'll give you that, but that new ultimate supercar, the Bugatti....oh that must be nothing, 350z must be a faster true sports car than that too, right right...maybe you should call those manufacturers and let them know to stop engineering those cars because they go against your rulebook, idk what those top scientists and engineers where thinking, they should of called you first for your advice...
Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmy169
You can hate awd all you want but to say it's not a "true" sports car since it's awd, and that the 350z is more of a sports car...I didn't know you wrote the rule book as to what a true sports car is? hhmmm, isn't there an awd turbo porsche that some might say is a pretty damn good sports car, guess not, what a waste since it doesn't fit your definition of a sports car, then there's...the lambo is a toss up I'll give you that, but that new ultimate supercar, the Bugatti....oh that must be nothing, 350z must be a faster true sports car than that too, right right...maybe you should call those manufacturers and let them know to stop engineering those cars because they go against your rulebook, idk what those top scientists and engineers where thinking, they should of called you first for your advice...
Well all the hard core performance versions of most of those cars are RWD.

There is a reason RWD is better then AWD, hell there is a few.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
Well all the hard core performance versions of most of those cars are RWD.

There is a reason RWD is better then AWD, hell there is a few.
That's fine, I'm not saying awd is better, like I said he can complain all he wants about awd, but to cry and moan about awd not being a true sports car, apparently an awd 911 turbo isn't a true sports car...go figure...and then to try and say spoolin is the one crying...eh idk why i bother...

Personally, I'm a fan of Reebok...and newb's (newbalance, aaawww snap I'm such a ricer!)
Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
I loved those Jordan's. They look WAY better than the GTR...and they
outperform it as well.
Ditto
Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah but if your going to buy a Porsche to be fast at a track i'd put my money on the Porsche 997 GT3 RS, and that comes RWD . When all these magazines test cars they don't just take lap times into their final decision, they also take in how much fun the car is to drive. I still can't see whats going to make the GTR so much better than the Z06. Everyone is giving this car records and praise when any of us have yet to see one, and drive one for that matter. This car is getting over-hyped because of what the GTR name was not what it is. GTR was the R32-R33-R34, this car has yet to prove that it deserves the GTR name. What just because it supposedly ran this great time in "factory" trim, and comes AWD it should be crowned the best GTR ever? Same thing when the Z06 went from C5 to C6, we all praised it because it stuck to the same dimensions as the previous model. It got more power, got lighter, and made the previous Z look like it belonged to amateurs. The GTR has stuck to the same dimensions as the previous model, but it has yet to prove itself to the world. And no i wont trust nissans way of running tests.
-Joel
Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Yeah but if your going to buy a Porsche to be fast at a track i'd put my money on the Porsche 997 GT3 RS, and that comes RWD . When all these magazines test cars they don't just take lap times into their final decision, they also take in how much fun the car is to drive. I still can't see whats going to make the GTR so much better than the Z06. Everyone is giving this car records and praise when any of us have yet to see one, and drive one for that matter. This car is getting over-hyped because of what the GTR name was not what it is. GTR was the R32-R33-R34, this car has yet to prove that it deserves the GTR name. What just because it supposedly ran this great time in "factory" trim, and comes AWD it should be crowned the best GTR ever? Same thing when the Z06 went from C5 to C6, we all praised it because it stuck to the same dimensions as the previous model. It got more power, got lighter, and made the previous Z look like it belonged to amateurs. The GTR has stuck to the same dimensions as the previous model, but it has yet to prove itself to the world. And no i wont trust nissans way of running tests.
-Joel
I don't disagree with most of what your saying, I like rwd cars more than awd...well ok I'm lieing, lol. I enjoyed my dsm more than my trans am, I liked going sideways off the launch with the dsm more so than spinning sideways not going anywhere, but that was driver error. In any case, I agree with you that rwd is better than awd in most cases, but that doesn't mean the awd isn't a "true sports car." And I like the older skyline's more too, I don't like how they've locked the computer on this skyline down, what made the older skyline so great imo, not just the awd system and how it would put most of the power to the rear wheels to get that perfect launch, and would adjust accordingly, but also that the older skyline's responded extremely well to mods, and their stock internals could handle a lot of power. This new skyline seems to be so locked down with it's ecu that who knows what it can handle, it's just another expensive supercar to me until someone cracks the ecu and can really start modding it to see what potential it has.

And the irony is even though I've been defending the skyline, I'd take a zr1 over it anyday, are you kidding me...lol. I'd take a z06 over it too if I had to choose between the 2 because I think it's priced too high, just personal preference though.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't disagree with most of what your saying, I like rwd cars more than awd...well ok I'm lieing, lol. I enjoyed my dsm more than my trans am, I liked going sideways off the launch with the dsm more so than spinning sideways not going anywhere, but that was driver error. In any case, I agree with you that rwd is better than awd in most cases, but that doesn't mean the awd isn't a "true sports car." And I like the older skyline's more too, I don't like how they've locked the computer on this skyline down, what made the older skyline so great imo, not just the awd system and how it would put most of the power to the rear wheels to get that perfect launch, and would adjust accordingly, but also that the older skyline's responded extremely well to mods, and their stock internals could handle a lot of power. This new skyline seems to be so locked down with it's ecu that who knows what it can handle, it's just another expensive supercar to me until someone cracks the ecu and can really start modding it to see what potential it has.

And the irony is even though I've been defending the skyline, I'd take a zr1 over it anyday, are you kidding me...lol. I'd take a z06 over it too if I had to choose between the 2 because I think it's priced too high, just personal preference though.
Look, I'm not saying AWD sucks, just that it doesn't really need to be on a true sports car, which the GTR isn't in many categories. Does having great handling and acceleration make the Lancer Evo a true sports car? Hell no. It's a rally homologation special, and will never be anything but that. I'm not saying that car is bad or slow, just that it isn't a sports car.

A sports car is more than just being fast, it's the experience of the drive. A sports car should stimulate the driver, make them strive for more, and be fully willing to let the driver kill themselves in the process. A sports car should draw stares and instantly spark passersby's curiosity. A sports car should look SEXY in bright, Lisa Frank color schemes. A sports car must PROVE itself before it gets the title. The Corvette didn't deserve the title until it got a V8 in the fifties.

Are my definitions of what a sports car should be ludicrous? Hell yes they are, but so are sports cars. Who wants a safe Viper? It would never have been as big as it was if it weren't for the combination of outrageous qualities it had. Sometimes, you have to live on the edge, and if that isn't your game, then buy a Volvo instead of that 993 Porsche Turbo. We won't fault you for it, but we do want you to recognize that bright green paint means don't ruin my fun by getting in the way.

I'd like to see a GTR try and pull this one off...

Or this one...

Last edited by Hydramatic; 05-05-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

A sports car should stimulate the driver, make them strive for more, and be fully willing to let the driver kill themselves in the process.
Holy Crap! I can drink to that Probably the greatest definition i have ever heard!
-Joel
Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Look, I'm not saying AWD sucks, just that it doesn't really need to be on a true sports car, which the GTR isn't in many categories. Does having great handling and acceleration make the Lancer Evo a true sports car? Hell no. It's a rally homologation special, and will never be anything but that. I'm not saying that car is bad or slow, just that it isn't a sports car.

A sports car is more than just being fast, it's the experience of the drive. A sports car should stimulate the driver, make them strive for more, and be fully willing to let the driver kill themselves in the process. A sports car should draw stares and instantly spark passersby's curiosity. A sports car should look SEXY in bright, Lisa Frank color schemes. A sports car must PROVE itself before it gets the title. The Corvette didn't deserve the title until it got a V8 in the fifties.

Are my definitions of what a sports car should be ludicrous? Hell yes they are, but so are sports cars. Who wants a safe Viper? It would never have been as big as it was if it weren't for the combination of outrageous qualities it had. Sometimes, you have to live on the edge, and if that isn't your game, then buy a Volvo instead of that 993 Porsche Turbo. We won't fault you for it, but we do want you to recognize that bright green paint means don't ruin my fun by getting in the way.
Listen no offense but who are you to be the judge of what a true sports car is, and what car give's you the better driving experience. You have too much of a bias, and it's abvious. People love the experience of the evo, it does very well at the track and I remember how impressed people where with the vq400 that beat the lambo. And how can you say the skyline isn't a true sports car, it was built and tuned precisely for that, being a sportscar, who are you to take that away from it (don't mean to spaz out I just don't get where your coming from with this)? You may not like it, you may not like 4 door cars, you may not like nissans, or awd, w/e, but you can't say as if it's fact that the skyline isn't a sports car, that's outrageous. It is a true sports car, it was tuned to be a true sports car, they brought it to the ring to be a true sports car, sports tuned suspension, etc, they gave it the turbo's to be a true sports car, and 400-500hp, what do you think that was for??

The skyline was built to be a sportscar, most supercars are built to be sports cars right? This car is under 100k, so idk if it's supercar territory although it give's em a run for their money, but what in the world do you think it was built for if not to be a sports car? Let me guess, your gonna say for ricers and fanboyzz right?

Also don't think just cause it's awd you can't kill yourself in the process. Awd means it's heavier anyway so you can think of it as being harder to control in that sense that it's heavier. Awd doesn't do the driving for you, people have flown off the track with awd just the same, but each sports car wants to give you the best handling you can get, that's what they're going for if it's used for the track, I don't get why that's a downside? You might as well talk down on suspension work too while your at it because that helps stop people from killing themselve's in the process too, unless you're just being picky...
Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Im not a fan of calling a 2+2 a sports car, but then again there have been bad *** 2+2s in history that fall under the sports car name. But calling something with 4 doors a sports car is f*cking pushing it.
-Joel
Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Im not a fan of calling a 2+2 a sports car, but then again there have been bad *** 2+2s in history that fall under the sports car name. But calling something with 4 doors a sports car is f*cking pushing it.
-Joel
I try not to judge whether a car is a sports car by the number of doors it has (aspecially these days). The evo has been tried and pruven, it's a sports car as much as any imo. May not be a liking to everyone's style, but everything else is there imo. The power, performance, handling, it compete's with the best of em. And they respond very well to mods. Like I said, the styling may not be there for everyone (although I really like the new evo x's compared to the evo 8's, never was too much of a fan of the evo 8's style, i was impressed with it's performance though) but it's formidable on the streets, the way it gets the power to the ground not everyone appreciate's but it gets the job done and that's what counts.

I would take a trans am over an evo, I actually already did, but ironically I would take an older 1g dsm over a trans am, now that I've experienced both. I like the feel of the turbo more than the linear powercurve of the v8 I guess, personal preference though.

Last edited by jimmy169; 05-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah the Evo X is ******* ugly as hell, i was never a fan of the IX but i would take that any day over the X. And you can't really call a car a sports car just by its performance, that would be like calling an M5 or E55 a sports car. They obviously aren't, thats because they are sports sedans. Either way back on topic, to think the ZR1 isn't going to be faster than any GTR is just retarded. That thing is going to put cars to shame, and its going to do it quickly. If the Nissan and the GTR want to be taken seriously tell them to try getting legit times from a standing start. If not then they can shove their times up their ***.
-Joel
Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the Evo X is ******* ugly as hell, i was never a fan of the IX but i would take that any day over the X. And you can't really call a car a sports car just by its performance, that would be like calling an M5 or E55 a sports car. They obviously aren't, thats because they are sports sedans. Either way back on topic, to think the ZR1 isn't going to be faster than any GTR is just retarded. That thing is going to put cars to shame, and its going to do it quickly. If the Nissan and the GTR want to be taken seriously tell them to try getting legit times from a standing start. If not then they can shove their times up their ***.
-Joel
The M3 is a sports car imo.

This is a pic I took of a girl I know who recently purchased an evo x.

I think it looks sick but to each there own I guess.

I'm surprised the zr1 is even considered to be in the same class as the skyline. I think it's a whole different animal entirely.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I can't wait till Spoolin' comes on here tomorrow and tells me just how much of an idiot I am for even THINKING about not calling the GTR the ultimate device of road-going pleasure-boating.

I need to stop letting these fanboys get my goat, but it's hard to do sometimes. I'm actually an old fan of Nissan's, but lately, all these manic "supporters" of the GTR have pretty much turned me off from anything new they put out...

Man, how did this one get turned into a GTR thread again? Can someone enlighten me why everything in this damn section devolves into a bitch-fest about that stupid little rice-rocket? Seriously, I don't mind news about it, but speculation and arguments are not what I come on this website to see.

Blechhh...I need some sleep already....
Umm... your are the idiot you proclaimed your self to be. However from my previous encounter with your intellect I don't think I'll bother. If I remember you correctly you regurgitate things you hear from other people and state them as facts and don't do any of your own research...I'm sure your a great guy in person but listening to your "Facts" make my head hurt. I hope your doing well in school though, best of luck!

Quick Reply: It's On - ZR1 Chief Says GTR Won't be King of the 'Ring for Long