Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

McCain - No Federal Assistance for American Automakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Personally.... I have NEVER bought a car made by any forigen car manufacturer .... and I don't want to have to do so anytime in the future.
Why be stubborn? FYI, I had an 06 civic for 8 months, It achieved 30mpg- city & 40 mpg-hwy. I calculated the mpg myself. I wish i would have kept the smurfin thing because gas is killin me now! Automotively speaking, foreign trumps domestic (exception- Corvette).
Old 07-10-2008 | 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 0000000000
Why be stubborn? FYI, I had an 06 civic for 8 months, It achieved 30mpg- city & 40 mpg-hwy. I calculated the mpg myself. I wish i would have kept the smurfin thing because gas is killin me now! Automotively speaking, foreign trumps domestic (exception- Corvette).
ill take a malibu over a camry anyday and id never consider any of those full size jap trucks over a domestic.
Old 07-10-2008 | 09:31 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Lightbulb

Automotively speaking, foreign trumps domestic (exception- Corvette).
Well, there are far more exceptions than merely the Corvette but we're not getting into that here.
Old 07-11-2008 | 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
ill take a malibu over a camry anyday and id never consider any of those full size jap trucks over a domestic.
Well... said.... Personally... I just have never seen any of the jap cars/trucks that were attractive to me.

Automotively speaking, foreign trumps domestic (exception- Corvette).
I can't tell you how far to the other side of this equation I stand. I think there are several models of GM, Ford and Chrysler that are far better than the jap cars.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 07-11-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2008 | 01:43 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Well... said.... Personally... I just have never seen any of the jap cars/trucks that were attractive to me.

I can't tell you how far to the other side of this equation I stand. I think there are several models of GM, Ford and Chrysler that are far better than the jap cars.
Old 07-11-2008 | 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Why be stubborn?
WE can ask the same thing of the import nameplate ONLY buying sheeple general public as well.
Nowadays at least.

I have lost all respect for those who refuse to even consider their own country's companies' products.
Old 07-11-2008 | 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

I doubt Mccain will win, and Obama's approach is entirely opposite. He wants to help the automaker's in this time of transition because of gas price's. Hopefully with that help they can make both fuel economic options for those that can't afford the gas price's, and sports cars and v8's even for those that can afford it or want a weekend fun car or suv or w/e.
Old 07-11-2008 | 05:29 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

best education I got was at a GM plant in Mexico that was as high tech as any in the United States and yet it had no parking lot because the workers that built those cars couldnt even afford to buy the cars they created. But at least they cut $1100 off the price.
Old 07-11-2008 | 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brad8266
Why the **** should my tax money go out for loan to a private corporation?
I know what your saying but atleast it would be keeping the money in the U.S rather than having it all go to Iraq while China has us by the ***** with the ammount we owe them.

Right now there's a big gas crisis that seems to get worse monthly if not weekly, and I think the automaker's could use the help transitioning while gas is still somewhat offordable for the lower to middle class family. It would help everyone. Putting gas money back into people's pockets that they would use towards purchasing goods from your small business and big business's alike, it'll spur up demand because right now a lot of people are having to choose to buy gas to get to work over other goods and service's.
Old 07-11-2008 | 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmy169
I know what your saying but atleast it would be keeping the money in the U.S rather than having it all go to Iraq while China has us by the ***** with the ammount we owe them.

Right now there's a big gas crisis that seems to get worse monthly if not weekly, and I think the automaker's could use the help transitioning while gas is still somewhat offordable for the lower to middle class family. It would help everyone. Putting gas money back into people's pockets that they would use towards purchasing goods from your small business and big business's alike, it'll spur up demand because right now a lot of people are having to choose to buy gas to get to work over other goods and service's.
agreed
Old 07-11-2008 | 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wannabess00
best education I got was at a GM plant in Mexico that was as high tech as any in the United States and yet it had no parking lot because the workers that built those cars couldnt even afford to buy the cars they created. But at least they cut $1100 off the price.
it did? then why with rebates and incentives excepted do prices go up no matter where a vehicle is assembled?
Old 07-11-2008 | 09:26 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

good question!! How the dealerships price them after they leave the factory is a mystery to me. But I find myself questioning GMs sanity everytime I see some of the prices on new models such as a $42,000 2008 Z-71 truck
Old 07-11-2008 | 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

good question!! How the dealerships price them after they leave the factory is a mystery to me. But I find myself questioning GMs sanity everytime I see some of the prices on new models such as a $42,000 2008 Z-71 truck
im talking sticker. im interested in examples of the same vehicle assembled here and in mexico that shows a lower price because thats news to me.

if im not mistaken GM has full size truck and SUV plants here and mexico and ive never noticed a pricing difference. i could be mistaken but id like to see this for myself.
Old 07-12-2008 | 03:50 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im talking sticker. im interested in examples of the same vehicle assembled here and in mexico that shows a lower price because thats news to me.

if im not mistaken GM has full size truck and SUV plants here and mexico and ive never noticed a pricing difference. i could be mistaken but id like to see this for myself.

The way corporations work is by not selling it at a lower cost at all. They concider the reduced labor cost profit and keep that instead as profit. But their is only one standard price on most vehicals. GM often loses $1100 on their cars in the US and Canada due to the labor and currency difference. As long as life essentials and cost of living increase costs are raised on the general populus it will continue to hurt the market in the US. Companies will always want to take work from Americans and give then to cheaper workers in hopes of increaseing profit.
Old 07-14-2008 | 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

My question is why deos the government have to give Gm a loan, why cant they go get a loan from a bank like every other business and person does?

Ill tell you why, because Gm is probably too much of a risk to loan money to, no bank wants to take that big of a risk. But I guess there is no harm in taking high risk with our tax dollars, our tax money is disposable to the government. If they loan the money and Gm happens to go under hey no big deal the government can just recollect that lost money from us.
Old 07-14-2008 | 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

The way corporations work is by not selling it at a lower cost at all. They concider the reduced labor cost profit and keep that instead as profit. But their is only one standard price on most vehicals. GM often loses $1100 on their cars in the US and Canada due to the labor and currency difference. As long as life essentials and cost of living increase costs are raised on the general populus it will continue to hurt the market in the US. Companies will always want to take work from Americans and give then to cheaper workers in hopes of increaseing profit.
Youre a little behind on economics. Coprorations will lower cost in order to compete with other companies. The Jap companies are getting more and more ahead because they have low overhead and production costs, therefore bringing the product to the market for a low price. This is cutting into American sales, so if the American companies could lower the price and sell more vehicles they would get more profit. If they cut overhead and just kept the price the same they would still get beat out by the other companies.

This all goes back to basic capitialism, whoever brings a product to the free market for the best price will outsell the competition.
Old 07-14-2008 | 04:48 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Youre a little behind on economics. Coprorations will lower cost in order to compete with other companies. The Jap companies are getting more and more ahead because they have low overhead and production costs, therefore bringing the product to the market for a low price. This is cutting into American sales, so if the American companies could lower the price and sell more vehicles they would get more profit. If they cut overhead and just kept the price the same they would still get beat out by the other companies.

This all goes back to basic capitialism, whoever brings a product to the free market for the best price will outsell the competition.
Youre taking the first part outta context. That is refering to no noticeable price difference between a Ford Fusion built in the US and one built in Mexico.
Of coarse low cost is the driving force in manufactured goods. Asia practices very inhumane styles of cutting costs as one thread talks about on here. But they also have a lower currency level that was the big "kick in the ***" that came back to haunt us after the signing of NAFTA and its costing Americans too many jobs. As a result people lash out at the blue-collar workers for the higher cost with out any recognition that if you subtract spending power from the general populus your economy tanks because no one will invest a company that cant sell their product. Just ask the Soviets how well it worked out. The bottom line is that this is a uncharted territory and a giant cluster **** because of an unstable,money obsessed world.
Old 07-14-2008 | 10:21 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Lightbulb

The Jap companies are getting more and more ahead because they have low overhead and production costs, therefore bringing the product to the market for a low price. This is cutting into American sales
True, meaning that they tend to do more, with less.
Which also means that if things keep moving forward as they seem to be right now and GM/Ford/Chrysler do end up going away (though I do not believe AT ALL that that will happen) in years to come, Americans will be looking to the likes of Toyota/Honda/Nissan etc to hire them...but those companies, being by nature just SO efficient and productive, might do no such thing.
Hence giving validity to the belief that GM/Ford/Chrysler still do employ more Americans (aka: taxpayers) than than Japan Inc.
Old 07-15-2008 | 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes the american companies do employ more people than the foriegn companies, do doubt about that. I just wish the american companies would formulate a winning strategy so they can stay above the foriegn companies. Cut costs, produce quality vehicles, and diversify the fleet. The american companies have been banking mostly on gas guzlers in the past years and now they are taking the hit for not forseeing the downward trend for these vehicles.

Good luck to them. Id hate to not be able to buy a new viper or z06. I just dont think a taxpayer loan is the right thing to do, let them get a private bank loan.
Old 07-16-2008 | 01:21 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Lightbulb

Yes the american companies do employ more people than the foriegn companies, do doubt about that. I just wish the american companies would formulate a winning strategy so they can stay above the foriegn companies. Cut costs, produce quality vehicles, and diversify the fleet.
That's what they are doing (and actually have been for some time) now, the domestics have some great products out now and they ARE well made and many are quite fuel efficient as well.

The american companies have been banking mostly on gas guzlers in the past years and now they are taking the hit for not forseeing the downward trend for these vehicles.
That's true as well but those trucks still got very decent fuel economy considering their size and weight. Plus they weren't building ONLY trucks, they built plenty of cars too but the consumer wanted trucks so that's what they were given and what became somewhat of a focus.
And contractors, cable companies, families of 6+ etc all still need light duty trucks, it's not all over just yet.

Quick Reply: McCain - No Federal Assistance for American Automakers