Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Considers Discontinuing Brands, Massive Layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

GMC need to go. All these badge engineering means more cost/tooling, and overhead.

If all the revenue went to one division maybe it wouldn't look so glum. I know one thing is that GM is so vastly large that really these cuts are needed. They have kept the corporate body way too large and this weights on them now.

GM isn't selling 1/3 of every new car like they did back in the day.
Old 07-08-2008 | 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
GMC need to go. All these badge engineering means more cost/tooling, and overhead.

If all the revenue went to one division maybe it wouldn't look so glum. I know one thing is that GM is so vastly large that really these cuts are needed. They have kept the corporate body way too large and this weights on them now.
I agree, they have been stretched too thin for years.
Old 07-08-2008 | 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
He post about every automotive news pretty much, its just the media hits on American companys (mainly GM since they are the largest) so thats mainly what he post....but he post plenty of other news to. So yeah.....thats a no on the ban.
It's big news, it's relevant to our interests and I'm sorry some people don't like it.

I just purchased a brand new G8 this past weekend. I also purchased a new GTO two years ago. I've also owned and enjoyed mostly GM products my entire life.

I hate to see the company in the shape it's in and hate to see it being run into the ground.
Old 07-08-2008 | 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
They won't get rid of Buick becuase it is the top selling car in China. GMs total sales right now are 40% North America and 60% overseas.
We may not see Buick here, but GM is not going to kill the best selling car in China. To much to lose.

Buick is NOT going anywhere. As you state, it sells really well in China. It might go away here in the US.... but GM won't kill it.

Although that new Riv is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! It would surely sell here in US.

GMC needs to go.... or be reserved for commercial applications only.

There is no point of having re-badged Chevy products in the GMC umbrella.

Pontiac..... Leave the G8 alone. I think returning to the days of the Bonneville name plate wouldn't help anything. I think bringing back a modern non-retro Firebird would help them.... but it won't happen.
Old 07-08-2008 | 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I still say the most logical thing to do with GMC is make it the sole truck brand. GMC has always been trucks and only trucks. Dump the Chevrolet trucks over to GMC. They are the same damn trucks with different trim.
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:06 PM
Banned

Talking

**** , just go ahead with your plans to merge with "FORD
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Buick sales are down 21 percent so far this year, while Saab is down 29 percent and Saturn sales are off nearly 19 percent. Saab, the Swedish automaker, sold only 12,068 vehicles during the first half of 2008. Saturn sales have declined nearly 19 percent for the year even though its model lineup has been completely revamped.
Buick seems to be poised to come back. It seems ashame to axe them right now given how much time and effort GM has put into new designs for that the brand. The Enclave won all kinds of awards and they have hot new concepts. That being said, if the new designs don't sell, axe it.

When GM Talk Abouts Saturn, what they mean to say is:
Saturn, remember that profitable division that used to make reliably, highly rated and high MPG entry level cars? Yeah we fucked that one up didn't we? Wanna buy a VUE?

[My 1992 SL2 still runs, just rolled over 200k miles and gets 33 mpg out of a tank, over the life car aside from regular upkeep I've replace the altnerator once, the A/C compressor once and two water pumps. Cost my parents somewhere around around 11 thousand to buy new.]

Saab, well Saab actually sells well in Europe from what I've seen. I'd imagine GM would stop exporting them over to America and selling them here or at least massively reduce the amount they bring over here, but I doubt they'll die since they still sell in Europe.

As for Hummer an GMC kick them to the curb.
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I still say the most logical thing to do with GMC is make it the sole truck brand. GMC has always been trucks and only trucks. Dump the Chevrolet trucks over to GMC. They are the same damn trucks with different trim.
I agree. There's no point in offering the same truck under two brands.
Old 07-08-2008 | 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
It's big news, it's relevant to our interests and I'm sorry some people don't like it.

I just purchased a brand new G8 this past weekend. I also purchased a new GTO two years ago. I've also owned and enjoyed mostly GM products my entire life.

I hate to see the company in the shape it's in and hate to see it being run into the ground.
Yeah, I love GM as well....and the times suck for them (ALL automakers) but mainly GM since they had put so much into the truck & suv line up that now it has come back to kick them in the ***. The thing is they have PLENTY off fuel efficient cars out there just people over look them because in their minds American cars are crap....when there not but the media always makes them out to be. I am sure GM (along with Ford, Dodge) will fix the problems they have and be on top once again. I mean even Toyota sales have dropped these past months....but the news never talks about that! How annoying!
Old 07-09-2008 | 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

I would hate to see GM lose any brand, they all have something i like. But then again the world doesn't revolve around what i like, and im sure they are hurting right now. Hummer i would hate to say i would drop, gas prices are killing them and the prices ain't going to drop anytime soon. GMC im alittle iffy about, you can always just go buy a Chevrolet honestly. But i really like the Yukons, and the Sierra Denali, which is the reason i am iffy about them. And Saab i would drop as well, don't see any reason to drop anybody else.
-Joel
Old 07-09-2008 | 03:04 AM
TECH Regular

Ultimately, in a company that is smart and quick enough to respond to market demands, the bottom line should determine what stays and what goes. If GMC continues to show a profit there is no reason to sell them...provided there is a Pontiac Buick Cadillac dealership to sell them.

Unfortunately, this is a massively bloated corporation that:
did not forsee a time when gas prices went up and buyers wanted fuel efficient vehicles
is too massive and slow-moving to respond to shifts in demand in less than 2-4 years
doesn't seem to subscribe to the notion of giving each brand its own identity.

Thus, due to the mismanagement of GM's brands, we are sitting here speculating which ones have to die. Thank you GM.
Old 07-09-2008 | 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
**** , just go ahead with your plans to merge with "FORD
Only Chevy could make a good looking mustang.
Old 07-09-2008 | 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Can we just ban trishield already? He's as bad as pissy-crissy. Any time there's something even POTENTIALLY negative about GM to be said, he jumps at the chance to say it. It's really getting old.
Old 07-09-2008 | 03:59 PM
Banned

Once GM trims the fat, they will be OK.
Old 07-09-2008 | 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
True.... but believe me.... Chevy is NEVER going to give up the Silverado!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2008 | 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Can we just ban trishield already? He's as bad as pissy-crissy. Any time there's something even POTENTIALLY negative about GM to be said, he jumps at the chance to say it. It's really getting old.
Hes not stating anything wrong, hes telling us what many of us already know. GM was prepared for gas prices to sky rocket, and now they are hurting in a big-big way. And all the threads he starts are either positive or negative of any manufacturer. This is automotive news section by the way, if all he stated was positive about GM then that means they weren't in such as a hole as they are now. GM is going to need to drop some of the weight and it sucks, especially something like Pontiac who has had alot of history. If it was wasn't for John D. and the GTO we might have never heard of the muscle car wars. The only thing they can do now is see where things are now, and where they "might" be in the near future and develop on that.
-Joel
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Heres some more news:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/09/g...g-models-will/

I would like to see how they are going to discontinue competing models, since a brand like GMC basically is built off competing models. The Yukon/Sierra/Acadia are basically Chevrolet Tahoes/Silverados/Equinox.
-Joel
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Buick is NOT going anywhere. As you state, it sells really well in China. It might go away here in the US.... but GM won't kill it.
They had better NOT kill Buick off as those China sales might be all that keeps GM alive in the near future!!
China's rising middle class will have more buying power than ours very soon, to the point that fuel prices will not even affect them as much as it has our ever shrinking middle class.
They love Buicks over there, and if GM can sell to those billions of people it can only be good, since our sheeple sexa/septua/octogenarians, who used to buy almost exclusively Buicks (and Grand Marquis) will now only buy their f'ing Camrys/Avalons.
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
They had better NOT kill Buick off as those China sales might be all that keeps GM alive in the near future!!
China's rising middle class will have more buying power than ours very soon, to the point that fuel prices will not even affect them as much as it has our ever shrinking middle class.
They love Buicks over there, and if GM can sell to those billions of people it can only be good, since our sheeple sexa/septua/octogenarians, who used to buy almost exclusively Buicks (and Grand Marquis) will now only buy their f'ing Camrys/Avalons.
I agree.
Old 07-09-2008 | 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree as well!!!!!!!!!!! They do sell well in China.... and that new Riv may sell well here. It is HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: GM Considers Discontinuing Brands, Massive Layoffs