Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default winter driving

anyone drive there cts-v in the winter? i mean like winter as in snow lots of it haha
Old 10-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Launching!

its 65-75 here in the winter, so yeah, no problems here
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

hahaha its 48 right now where i am...im jealous of you
Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My V is my daily driver, snow included. I have an extra set of rims with Blizzaks and they've been great in the snow with plenty of traction. The stability control does a good job of keeping you straight too.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cts-Voodoo
its 65-75 here in the winter, so yeah, no problems here
I miss that weather. I was in the Marines stationed at Miramar and then went to SDSU. I miss PB and Mission Beach.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

good to here guys thanks. i now know what the new car in the garage will be haha
Old 10-19-2008, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

hmmm i wonder if it could pull the sled trailer haha
Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whisler151
I miss that weather. I was in the Marines stationed at Miramar and then went to SDSU. I miss PB and Mission Beach.
Hoorah!
I was stationed at Camp Pen...I miss it down there.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

After driving my V in the rain I would assume that driving in the snow would not be too bad. I would think someone could get by on all-seasons and very careful driving habits. Blizzaks would be night and day difference though. Once the car gets away from you though or if the roads are treacharous you might be heading to a body shop.

My V will hibernate for the snowy season. Indiana roads with salt and sand dont sound like a good combination. The bottom is CLEAN and I would not subject a V to that. Besides I bought my CTS-V to DRIVE IT not schlep around in snow and crappy roads. I have another car I would recommend any one to buy a beater and save the abuse on your beloved V.

My .02
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CORNER CARVER
After driving my V in the rain I would assume that driving in the snow would not be too bad. I would think someone could get by on all-seasons and very careful driving habits. Blizzaks would be night and day difference though. Once the car gets away from you though or if the roads are treacharous you might be heading to a body shop.

My V will hibernate for the snowy season. Indiana roads with salt and sand dont sound like a good combination. The bottom is CLEAN and I would not subject a V to that. Besides I bought my CTS-V to DRIVE IT not schlep around in snow and crappy roads. I have another car I would recommend any one to buy a beater and save the abuse on your beloved V.

My .02
there we have it folks.. everything i have to say on this matter only he sed it nicely....
Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
My V is my daily driver, snow included. I have an extra set of rims with Blizzaks and they've been great in the snow with plenty of traction. The stability control does a good job of keeping you straight too.

I plan on driving mine this winter as well... if I can find a decently priced extra set of stock rims. Otherwise I may not have a choice, I may have to buy a beater for the winter. Has anyone that has driven it in the snow ever put any sand or ballast in the trunk to help with traction?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

You could probably find a cavalier for the price of a set of CTS-V rims.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Teching In

You're absolutely right... actually I was thinking an older Jeep Cherokee, Blazer, Etc... but RWD can be fun in the winter and I've been longing to try it again after 10+ years of FWD. I actually started out driving a RWD Nissan pickup during the winters, then moved to a Fiero... so I have had some experience with it.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

I've driven 3 previous Cobra's in the snow with all season tires and survived. The CTS V with 4 snow tires will be a synch. Bring on the snow!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I tell ya, I got REAL good at skid control real fast, especially driving the Fiero. I've heard it compared to driving a hockey puck on ice and that's not far off. Once the rear end goes, if you don't catch it quick, you're done. I'll never forget the first winter I drove it with crappy tires. I was trying to make it up a snow covered hill and had some jackass 5 feet off my bumper as I'm fishtailing like crazy trying to make it up the hill, not spin out, and not slide backwards.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Yeah I have great "fun" with my 85 Fiero too. Now I am going to be driving my V in Canadian winter.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

sand in the trunk of a ******* cadillac?!?!?!.... you guys are killing me..
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Teching In

May be buy some gold and put them in the trunk instead. Price will rise, you win either way.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JOHN_DEERE_LS6
sand in the trunk of a ******* cadillac?!?!?!.... you guys are killing me..
If you put the sand in PVC Pipes and cap them... you don't get sand everywhere... sheesh... you'd think this was still the 70s.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Better than sand in the trunk.

I had a Bravada awile ago that had almost bald tires on the rear and new tires in the front. Talk about a fun car to drive in the snow. It would drift with light throttle and then I could steer with different throttle/steering input. ENDLESS drifts.

I think everyone that is a CTS-V purest will think anyone is crazy for driving a V in the winter due to the detriment of winter roads.

I say go for it! because when your car is rusting on the bottom, I will still have a garage fresh version of a V.

And at the same time I will have more fun sliding a beater around in the snow knowing if something gets out of hand it wont be a V getting torn up.

Quick Reply: winter driving