Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Has your V lost performance power with higher Mileage on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
SEAFOAM IT......itll restore performance improve has mileage....this **** is awesome. Do a search on here...chocotaco i think his name is did a great writeup....follow his steps 1 by 1 and your car will run like a dream.....
lol, you live by that stuff!!! I seen you praising it on another thread a few days ago! I will def give that a shot if I get a high mileage V later on this year
Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

450rwhp really is the sweet spot for fun on public streets. At least, that has always kept me happy!

Does anyone push or recommend the tranny or diff coolers from GMPP as a good idea? I figure that is more for the folks doing autocross who are going to cook the fluid, but it sounded like a good idea in general. You run cooler temps and have more fluid in the system that way.

For the wheel hop problem. I looked at BMR, which changes some of the connections. That seems dirt simple. Heard of another kit, but when I searched I couldn't find it. Also, does SPOHN support parts for the CTS-Vs? I've always been satisfied with his products in the past.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

idk my Lightning made over 600 when i was still driving it on the street and it was fun could have had more. Just the 3-2 downshift was pointless. Oh I didnt have kids then though
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frank02L
idk my Lightning made over 600 when i was still driving it on the street and it was fun could have had more. Just the 3-2 downshift was pointless. Oh I didnt have kids then though
LOL, The most hp I've EVER had was 275hp so going from that to 400 will prolly make it very hard for me to tell if its under powered due to higher mileage... I think once I get the V, the easiest way to find out would be to have it checked at GM... Or race another stock car thats at equal levels of performance such as an S.R.T.8, STI, M3, EVO, another CTS-V EXC... I will prolly lose against these cars for a few weeks before I get my 1-2 down.. I would LOVE to here some stories of other V owners and how long it took to get it correct? I dont think it would be bad to here about some races that you TOTALY should have won but due to being a new car owner lost???
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what? 1-2? I'm pretty disappointed in the 'factory' 400hp rating. I've never lost to something I shouldn't have lost to, but thats not saying much. bone stock V vs a nearly bone stock c5z06 and a built ws6.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

seafoams good for low or high mileage
I deep creep the car every oil change and do a full treatment about every 10k. Really restores the car, and puffs out lots of crap out the exhaust, so I know its cleaning and getting rid of the carbon build up.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frank02L
what? 1-2? I'm pretty disappointed in the 'factory' 400hp rating. I've never lost to something I shouldn't have lost to, but thats not saying much. bone stock V vs a nearly bone stock c5z06 and a built ws6.
My research has shown that 1st and 2nd gear are hard to get down when really running it... In your case not so much....
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its hard to get a quality, quick 1-2 shift without losing serious traction and thus reducing your speed, and moving out of your target rpm zone. It can be done, as Ive done it before, and let me tell you it makes a world of a difference. You will notice when you get it right...it may be 1 out of 30 attempts that truly feels "right-on".

The easiest way to learn it, is find a friend with an automatic car thats somewhat quick....auto mustang gt's work great...go line them up and run him from 0-60 until you start kicking his *** BAD.

With a quality 1-2 shift, Ive beaten brand new STI's - stock - from 0-60. Without the quality 1-2 shift, Ive lost to the older 04 wrx's -stock - from 0-60.....

that right there should show you the difference the 1-2 makes. Stock 04 wrx's have trouble running high 13.9.....stock 08 sti's are running low low 13's.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
the easiest way to find out would be to have it checked at GM... Or race another stock car thats at equal levels of performance such as an S.R.T.8, STI, M3, EVO, another CTS-V EXC... [/COLOR][/B]
Apples to oranges and way too many variables. Bottom line is you're not really looking for HP changes with miles, but the condition of the car. We look to HP as an indicator, but really, unless the car has been anally raped the HP will still be within 10 or so. So it's more about driving it... does it hesitate, does it flatten out in the mid-range, how's the idle, are there any leaks, is the clutch worn and/or has it been replaced, has the rear been replaced, what is the service history on the car.

I mean... any old guy or young woman could have owned the car and babied it forever. But it only takes one hole-shot or burn-out if someone makes a mistake to tap a few valves. Likewise, could be driven like a kitten forever but the owner doesn't know cars and kept driving with the Check Engine light on when the car was overheating, causing significant damage.

When it comes to sports cars, you've got to take a good look. Esp w/ these... they ONLY came with 6-spds and they all have 400hp. In today's world, those of us who want to have a good time with a car all opt for stick. So this isn't quite the same as a Corvette, which come with automatics as standard options, where you have casual mid-lifers and women driving their fancy car. With the CTS-Vs, we're all out there having fun.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seriously? Am I reading LS1tech?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Its hard to get a quality, quick 1-2 shift without losing serious traction and thus reducing your speed, and moving out of your target rpm zone. It can be done, as Ive done it before, and let me tell you it makes a world of a difference. You will notice when you get it right...it may be 1 out of 30 attempts that truly feels "right-on".

The easiest way to learn it, is find a friend with an automatic car thats somewhat quick....auto mustang gt's work great...go line them up and run him from 0-60 until you start kicking his *** BAD.

With a quality 1-2 shift, Ive beaten brand new STI's - stock - from 0-60. Without the quality 1-2 shift, Ive lost to the older 04 wrx's -stock - from 0-60.....

that right there should show you the difference the 1-2 makes. Stock 04 wrx's have trouble running high 13.9.....stock 08 sti's are running low low 13's.
lol, The ONLY mustang GT owner that I know has a 35th Anniversary addition GT with some bolt-ons making him run low 13's(13.01 to 13.3 range) and then my other friend that has a fox body cobra thats running 9's in the 1/4 miles! My friend with the fox body said hes about to detune it to run 11's because he wants to run on pinks all out!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

mid 40s lady bout it brand new in may 05 traded it in for a 09 Lots of highway travel...
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

that anniv one is perfect, i said automatic to take some variables out.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

that anniv one is perfect, i said automatic to take some variables out.
I really cant wait to put a hurtin on his car! I just cant think of 1 person that has a quick auto in my area that I could run once I get it???? I may have to go practice on some local S.R.T.8's or TBSS's in my area... I know a couple of brothers that own matching orange Galardos that I can go get spanked by!!! haha
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont expect to be hurting on that GT until you get some driving time under your belt. But racing him 20-30 times, I guarantee by the end your giving it to him. I know I easily shoot past 13.0 cars when I race them from a roll.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Its hard to get a quality, quick 1-2 shift without losing serious traction and thus reducing your speed, and moving out of your target rpm zone.

Yeah That !!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

SO, you should be focusing on lots torque! Remember, this car is Heavy......It seems we will be getting a V around the same time, Let me know if you find some really cheap ones.......I can't wait to see how it drives with a 400-700lbs Diet.....HEHE.....I am looking right now but otherwise, I am having my buddy who owns a dealership find me a ragged one in the autions....
Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

wow my car makes 530 on motor and i HATE going out without bottle because its slow as hell
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Launching!

You are worrying "way to much" about your purchase. You are not buying a new car, so you are going to find a problem eventually. Just go with you gut. You are going to love it, or you are going to pawn it off on some other poor sucker. Anyways, good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
wow my car makes 530 on motor and i HATE going out without bottle because its slow as hell
Now you're just rubbing it in.

Quick Reply: Has your V lost performance power with higher Mileage on the car?