Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Different idea for lowering with nivomats

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different idea for lowering with nivomats

I already have spacers for my car but for those wanting to go a different route couldnt you just modify the lower connection my drilling a hole higher up in the Lower mounting bracket on the rear shock?? seems like it might be a easier and better way to lower more than 1 inch??

Just like in this pic where the spot is just seems like an easy way to go more than an inch without having to modify the top mount....Let me know what you guys think

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clearance?

Can you get adequate clearance between the shock and the suspension knuckle at both ends of the suspension travel?

The safest way to check would be to remove the spring, fully compress the suspension then let it extend to maximum, and while monitoring the clearance throughout the stroke.

Keep in mind that you must also allow for the deflection of the rubber bushing in the knuckle, which is pretty soft on our cars. If the lower bushing was a Heim, you could probably discount any deflection.

Minimum clearance depends on the above observations. Suspension clearance is like beer, you can never have too much but it's a bitch when you run out.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Think youll have trouble clearing what I made red.
Attached Thumbnails Different idea for lowering with nivomats-knuckle.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

yes the clearance would be close. I already have spacers for mine so i will be going that route but i have seen many that want to go lower than GC or the spacers allow. So i figured this might be an option
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

def looks like an option. I want to go lower in the back as well. Maybe something in bewteen those two spots....or some material could be removed from the thing I made red....
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

I will try and mess with it and see what kind of clearance there is when I install my springs. I gotta pull the shocks to install the spacers anyway. So as soon as it gets above 40 degrees on a weekend in Illinois we will have our answer.

Quick Reply: Different idea for lowering with nivomats