Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Oil in the throttle body!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
Why not do the bypass? It definetly did a lil something for me. You essentially make a bridge and connect the coolant lines (which are on either side of the TB) to one another.
Did you REALLY notice a difference? Ive heard yes and no... I didnt really feel much. So other then eliminating the heat from the TB (and making it easier to work on) i dont see how it does much. Ls's were ment to run 200-210+ degrees, my turbo car doesnt even see 190 degrees w/ the coolant going through the TB.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a slight improvement in throttle response...nothing major...

living in florida I probably noticed it more than others....and with you in vegas...im sure you would notice a slight throttle response increase...

Cant hurt right?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the coolant bypass on mine. The TB was lava hot to the touch before... so great for horsepower...

Basically I just took the hose that runs from the radiator and put it directly to the head. It doesnt interfere with anything, and it doesnt require spending money.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
ive only capped the TB on my turbo car because i creates vacuum... which throws off the turbo.

Its part of the PCV system... If you are going to remove the line, it needs to be capped (on the TB) because it would be unmetered air getting into your TB, your car would run like crap. Thats where your getting oil from probably. You could put a catch can on it... you just splice the line attach the can in the middle and your done, while keeping the 'stock' PCV system.

Or cap the TB and put a filter on the end of the line, it needs to stay open because it relieves pressure from the crank case. Thats how my turbo car is.
ive already done all that, i was asking about his TB connection for the coolant line. i doubt ill mess with the coolant bypass, but ya never know.

im more concerned with getting my exhaust done, then im gonna do a cam swap.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

04ctsvfl, still curious about this seafoam...is it like Lucas Oil Stabilizer? is it something usually used on higher mileage vehicles?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EHam
04ctsvfl, still curious about this seafoam...is it like Lucas Oil Stabilizer? is it something usually used on higher mileage vehicles?
Seafoam is a cleaning agent to remove carbon and oil etc. Not a stabilizer

To the OP.

Catch can
Truck pcv valve
clean the hell outta the intake.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

thanks, i think im going to go with that nice billet catchcan that oshia86 gave the link to.

not a bad price for what looks like quality piece.

Jeremy
Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
I have the throttle body bypass done to my car...works great. Cost like 10 bucks. Took about 30 minutes. I can take pics if requested.
yes please, can I see a picture of this?

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com
Old 03-29-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cts-Voodoo
I did the coolant bypass on mine. The TB was lava hot to the touch before... so great for horsepower...

Basically I just took the hose that runs from the radiator and put it directly to the head. It doesnt interfere with anything, and it doesnt require spending money.
not a bad idea...what size hose is it?? So I can go pick some up later on today...or is whats there long enough?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Hey CTS-V guys. I was just reading this and I thought that I would link you to a catch can install from LS1/2 GTO. You can also make your own using an air compressor filter and some hose and a mounting bracket. I also agree with the seafoam for intake cleaning.
The directions say to run it through your brake booster vacuumn line but we all induce 1/3 can ever so slowly into the vac port just behind the tb. I pour 1/3 of a can into a bottle that has a flip up nozzle and put a 1' hose on port's shaft. I then just put the other end of the hose over the bottle and the vacuum will suck it out. It is emphasized to induce it slowly so pull the hose off of the bottle occassionally. When done, shut the car off and let it sit for a while. Here's the fun part and If you have any close neighbors, you should've pre warned them because if they see the smoke, they just might call the fire co. Start it up and watch. The more oil you have in your intake - the more smoke you'll have.
http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10568

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...eafoamed+today
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Not uncommon at all. Mine looked way worse than that last time I had the inlet tube off.

What you're pointing to here is the Vacuum port.

This is the vent. It lets clean air pass through the crankcase, to prevent too much vacuum.

As stated above its the coolant passage.

This is all you need to do to bypass that, if you so choose. Just connect reroute the hose that runs from the "T" above the radiator to the passenger side of the TB directly to the coolant crossover pipe that connects to the head. and throw the short piece of hose away.

Quick Reply: Oil in the throttle body!