Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lost a running light this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost a running light this morning.

On the way to work this morning as I met another car in the road something flew of of the other car and completly busted out my turn signal on the driver's side. I have not had a chance to call the Cadillac dealership yet to see what it will cost to replace it, but I was wondering what the piece itself costs and if it may be possible for me to replace it myself considering I am sure that labor at the dealership is going to get expensive. I have a place to change it out if that is a possibility, as long as i don't need any extra special tools to do any of the work.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Front turn signal? Did it just crack the half clear, half orange lens?

If so, I doubt you can get just the lens from the dealer, you probably have to buy the whole assembly. The lens is very easy to replace though, just unbolt the light housing, stick it in the oven at low temp to melt the glue and pull off the remaning pieces of the broken lens. This might be a good opportunity to make clear lenses - just cut some clear lexan and use that as replacements for both sides

If you don't want to go clear, I just so happen to have my stock lenses sitting in my garage...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Left front turn signal/fog light assembly is $280 on gmpartsdirect.com.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Yeah, it is the clear/amber front turn signal. I am not sure what it was.... I'm thinking it was something similar or it was a golf ball. It completly busted out the clear area of the cover. I have on solid piece that is about 3" in diameter that took the direct hit. I called my local Cadillac dealer this morning and they priced the assembly at $438.81 but I found one on auto body parts.com for $167. I am kinda considering tinting the turn signals, but I am not sure yet. Do I have to take off the bumper to get to the turn signals?

CTS V_510-What would you want for your stock lenses, if I decide to go that route? Clears may be a good look too, did you do clear lenses on yours and do you have pics if so? I would like to see the finished produch before I attempt it myself.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have smoked lenses on mine. I got them from a vendor that has since disappeared:

Check the picture thread sticky in this section of the forum and you'll find some others with clear lenses. They're not that difficult to do and in my opinion look much better than stock. The lexan can be bought for cheap at a local hardware store I think.

I'd send you both my stock ones for $25. I gotta check em out when I get home and make sure they're in decent shape first though.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Those smoked lenses look awesome! I like that look. Is there any vendors out there anymore that carry something like that? I could try out the Lexan, but I would worry a little about the lights sealing us as well as something already sealed up from a company. Also, would the Lexan be as strong against scratches and things like that as an OEM plastic would be? I am going to see what I can come up with over the weekend, but let me know how your stock covers look and depending on what I can come up with and the prices I may have to stick with the stockers for a little bit longer.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
I have smoked lenses on mine. I got them from a vendor that has since disappeared:

Check the picture thread sticky in this section of the forum and you'll find some others with clear lenses. They're not that difficult to do and in my opinion look much better than stock. The lexan can be bought for cheap at a local hardware store I think.

I'd send you both my stock ones for $25. I gotta check em out when I get home and make sure they're in decent shape first though.

Your car looks identical to mine! Looks great!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01BYEOFCR
Those smoked lenses look awesome! I like that look. Is there any vendors out there anymore that carry something like that? I could try out the Lexan, but I would worry a little about the lights sealing us as well as something already sealed up from a company. Also, would the Lexan be as strong against scratches and things like that as an OEM plastic would be? I am going to see what I can come up with over the weekend, but let me know how your stock covers look and depending on what I can come up with and the prices I may have to stick with the stockers for a little bit longer.
Thanks! Unfortunately there are no vendors out there anymore that sell them. As far as sealing the lights up, the lenses I used were pretty easy because they were made with the stock curvature in them. I agree that lexan may be a bit difficult, but many have done it without an issue.

You should consider getting these stockers from me and then spraying a couple coats of nightshades then clear coat to get a smoked look.

Anyway, I checked the lenses out and they're in good shape. One of the 4 tabs is broken off on each one, but it's not a big deal since you'll be gluing them on anyway. The replacment lenses I put on didn't have any tabs at all, so they're definitely not necessary.

I used clear JB weld epoxy to attach them - that stuff worked great.

Let me know if you want these lenses.

Originally Posted by raven154
Your car looks identical to mine! Looks great!
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Teching In

CTSV 510-Thanks for checking out the lenses for me. Right now I am leaning towards doing the STS V clear fog conversion. I found a set on the net for just a little over $200 shipped and I am just waiting on pictures from the plaace before I put my order in. If things fall through and I decide to just stick with the tinted stock lenses I will definatly let you know.
Oh, and I am guessing that I can get to the lenses pretty easliy by undoing the underside of the fender well from the posts that I have found on this. Is this correct?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01BYEOFCR
CTSV 510-Thanks for checking out the lenses for me. Right now I am leaning towards doing the STS V clear fog conversion. I found a set on the net for just a little over $200 shipped and I am just waiting on pictures from the plaace before I put my order in. If things fall through and I decide to just stick with the tinted stock lenses I will definatly let you know.
Oh, and I am guessing that I can get to the lenses pretty easliy by undoing the underside of the fender well from the posts that I have found on this. Is this correct?
OK, cool. Yes, you can get to them through the fender well. There are two or three bolts that you have to undo from the front of the car just above the lenses. You'd never see them unless you were looking, but they're there.

Quick Reply: Lost a running light this morning.