Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTSV or SRT8 Charger or Pont G8

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what i meant the G8 with the V8 and all the trimmings. The only thing about the V is that there are so many CTS's out there on the road adn you are right you never see V's. Is the CTSV ride really Caddy smooth?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by grafking
thats what i meant the G8 with the V8 and all the trimmings. The only thing about the V is that there are so many CTS's out there on the road adn you are right you never see V's. Is the CTSV ride really Caddy smooth?
it's a Caddy, did you really just ask that question??? the only way the ride becomes "not so Caddy smooth" is if you lower it w harder springs.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pauls325
i have been hearing that the g8s have touble putting power to the ground
we have trouble putting power to the ground as well, dont forget!!

But I agree V all the way, best luxury/power/performance for the money
Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

it doesn't ride like a DTS if thats the question...it's a 'sports' sedan...and rides like one...stiff yet very comfortable.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01350ta
G8 GXP, LS3, tons of potential.
sorry but 7 grand for 70 horse. different rims and front brembo brakes. i will pass yeah it has a good bottom end but that is all your paying for. the heads are l92/ls3 heads(same thing) and intake is pretty much same thing. so for 7 grand i can put a aps twin kit on the gt and fly.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Not a big fan of the G8, too much cheap plastic feel inside. Plus Obama is making GM drop Pontiac. The V is a no brainer especially if your looking for a 6 speed.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
Not a big fan of the G8, too much cheap plastic feel inside. Plus Obama is making GM drop Pontiac. The V is a no brainer especially if your looking for a 6 speed.
yeah parts for the g8 will be very high since pontiac will be gone. parts are already very high on the gto.. i agree with the cheap feeling in the g8 also. seems like for the same amount of money, the v would be an easy decision
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

^^^ hey guys pretty sure when GM brop performance department. the "V" went also
Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

atleast they will be keeping cadillac though. there wont even be a pontiac
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Go with the V.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I am seeing alot of incorrect information about the G8 in this thread. First is that they don't respond to mods. A tune and LT headers does wonders for these cars and can add +50rwhp. Also don't get caught up in the "low" dyno numbers. The A6 in the G8 (GT and GXP) does not have a 1:1 gear to do a dyno run in. The 4th gear is 1.15:1 and this will cause a lower dyno reading than the same car doing a dyno run in a 1:1 gear. My car with just a CAI, ARH headers (stock muflflers), and a tune put down 355 (SAE) rwhp and has run the time in my sig (a great neg DA day but strong head wind that is the reason for the low mph) and has run 111mph (12.8 et) on a 1400 DA day. I have yet to see a bolt-on Gen 1 CTS-V run a better ET. So RangerRob, I would love to meet up with you at a stop light some day.

Now with all that said, I am a big fan of the CTS-V. When I bought my G8 about a year ago it was a close toss up between it and a used V. I ended up with the G8 because it was new, had more room, I liked the interior styling better even though the V has better creature comforts, and my wife was pushing for the auto. The other reason was that I already have another play car so if I was going to do any playing with this car it was going to be at the dragstrip so I thought the G8 would be the better drag car.

Last edited by racerns; 04-10-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

dude in 2 years when you are tired of the female version of a sports car in the g8 they will be everywhere, there are 6 in my small town and everyone of them is driven by a chick,
then when you want to sell it will be worth about 10-12k
they are already selling them with 10-15k miles at auction for mid teens????

the dodge is not even worth mentioning it is a freakin dodge come on

the v is the best ride safest for your child, fastest, best looking, not cheap decked out in cheap hood, wheels, and interior like the pontiac,

go with the v and dont look back you wont regret it one bit, especially if are a gm man it is the most bang for your buck, but still a mans car, and classy to take your wife to dinner in, then smoke camaros, trans ams, mustangs, g8s, chargers,
Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Red face

Originally Posted by burnin red
dude in 2 years when you are tired of the female version of a sports car in the g8 they will be everywhere, there are 6 in my small town and everyone of them is driven by a chick,
then when you want to sell it will be worth about 10-12k
they are already selling them with 10-15k miles at auction for mid teens????

the dodge is not even worth mentioning it is a freakin dodge come on

the v is the best ride safest for your child, fastest, best looking, not cheap decked out in cheap hood, wheels, and interior like the pontiac,

go with the v and dont look back you wont regret it one bit, especially if are a gm man it is the most bang for your buck, but still a mans car, and classy to take your wife to dinner in, then smoke camaros, trans ams, mustangs, g8s, chargers,
i dont 100% agree with everything your saying, but the auction prices you listed are correct. i had my eye on a couple that went through in the past week. yesterday an '08 gt with all possible options went for 19k. this is with only 9,000 miles!! thats ridiculous. the other went for 15k with 20,000 miles.. there arent many cars that hold there value nowadays, but the g8 is pathetically dropping
Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Launching!

These cars targeted different markets. The V was introduced in 2004 as competition for the M3 and M5. The V is built on the Sigma chassis, it has aluminum upper and lower A-Arms, 4 piston Brembo brakes (F&R) and I believe is weighs less than the G8. As mentioned before it has more creature comforts which is why it cost more.

Total CTS-V production is around 12,000 cars from 2004-2007. They sold that many G8’s in 2008. The low production numbers gives you exclusivity but also makes the V an expensive car to own. All of the aftermarket parts cost more since the manufactures make small runs. Headers and Cats are 1K-1.5K, Front HPS racing pads - $150, Spector rear-end bushings $230, UUC shifter $400, UUC motor mounts - $430, UUC 2-piece slotted front rotors - $850, the list goes on.

A friend of mine has a G8 and it’s a great car. It does seem to have a little more room inside and doesn’t have the same issues with the rear end as the V does. Having said that, people seem to make a big deal of that fact, but my previous car was a 95 Z28 with a STS turbo with a 10-bolt rear. I knew that if I took that car to the drag strip and continually launched it rear hard I would blow up the rear, so I didn’t do that.

So it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you’re looking for a new 4 door performance sedan and your thing is stop light to stop light and drag racing at the track. The G8 is probably the car for you. Any mods that you make will cost less than the V.

I bought the V because at this point, I’m more into autocrossing and entrance and exit ramps. I like the combination of creature comforts and performance. The V is very well balanced and is the only car I’ve owned that I can turn in while braking. I also like the fact that when I valet park the car they part it out front.

Make the decision that fits your budget and driving style.

edit - I Don't know anyone with the Charger.

Last edited by branland; 04-10-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

I own a SRT8 Charger as well as my vette and JGC SRT8 and , as for the Charger, I can say it's an attention getter and an easily mild modded mid 12 second car that doubles as a docile daily driver. With just a cai and tune, the car ran 12.8's all day with 2.1 60fts (sticky tires are on the way for it). Over 35,000 miles and zero issues other than brake pad replacement. I like the G8, but it just doesn't have that "grab" for me...it's kinda blah. The new CTS V is a monster, and would probally be the only 4 door I'd swap the Charger for.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by why me
sorry but 7 grand for 70 horse. different rims and front brembo brakes. i will pass yeah it has a good bottom end but that is all your paying for. the heads are l92/ls3 heads(same thing) and intake is pretty much same thing. so for 7 grand i can put a aps twin kit on the gt and fly.
Dont forget about the manual transmission too. I would pay the price difference for that alone. I personally would not buy a G8 unless it was a manual, so the only option is the GXP. But it will be a few years before you can get those lightly used.

The G8 has more room then the V, and has a very unique sporty look. The V costs more. V's only come in manual (other then the 09's... but i dont think thats what your looking at), if your spouce/sig other ever needs to drive the car, can they drive manual? Just a thought. G8's also have a better warranty.

I wouldnt describe the ride in the V as luxury, it is very nice, but you can definitely tell is sport tuned. Its ment to feel the road, but also very comfortable. Its tough to describe, just something you will have to feel for youself.

G8 or V you wont be dissapointed. I was really close to getting a G8 before but again, no manual. And just for the record the more i drive the V, the more i fall in love. Its an amazing car!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want a car your mom can borrow, get the g8. if you want a fun car that has the sleeper feel and is fun to drive get the v. i have seen more g8's on the road then any other performace car and it makes me sick looking at them. nothing stands out about them at all and i am yet to see one that i am like wow, nice car. EVERY g8 gt looks the exact same(wheels, spoiler).
Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6speed, cadillac prestige, attractive styling, man's car (I recommended the G8 to my little brother), great sound system, navigation, heated seats, fine leather, HIDs, suede, (--list of OEM luxury items goes on and on--), nurburgring worthy suspension & handling tip the scale in favor of the CTS-V.

Good luck & enjoy.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Launching!

just thought i would add this little information. last night i raced my buddy who has a 08 dodge charger srt8 (425hp stock) and he has a cai which claims a 20 hp gain. i have a magnaflow cat back and thats it. i spanked him 3 times! twice from a roll and once from a stop side ways all through first. good times
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

my brother owns an srt-8 charger. imo, its a boring car and is not as fun to drive as the competition. not to mention i whoop his *** EVERY time we run

Quick Reply: CTSV or SRT8 Charger or Pont G8