Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

built my own engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default built my own engine mount

here is the ripped up drivers mount, common issue

didnt think it should cost 450 to fix the problem, so i fixed for free.
the bushing is one i had laying around, its an a-arm bushing and sleeve. welded junk to the top and bottom to fashioned it into same type of thing as the fancy ones made for the gto's and vette's

mounted to factory mount crap

installed

little bit more vibration, car feels better driving around in general and i THINK it may have improved the wheelhop??
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great.
When are you going to go into business making everyone else parts. You make me jealous.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
here is the ripped up drivers mount, common issue

didnt think it should cost 450 to fix the problem, so i fixed for free.
the bushing is one i had laying around, its an a-arm bushing and sleeve. welded junk to the top and bottom to fashioned it into same type of thing as the fancy ones made for the gto's and vette's

mounted to factory mount crap

installed

little bit more vibration, car feels better driving around in general and i THINK it may have improved the wheelhop??
NICE Dude! I was going to say, I bet it vibrates more.....I bet it does control some of the Torque Force which would help some of the wheel-hop! Didn't you create your own spacers for the rear shock? What do you do?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome. I like it better than mine.
Attached Thumbnails built my own engine mount-mount-1.jpg  
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motor Mounts

I really like your solution but have currently incorporated the 60's drag-tech (very low-buck and quick) method to limit engine travel with a piece of cable. It's slack enough to allow some engine movement during normal operation but quickly tightens up under load thereby saving the engine mount.

Your mount is far superior to the UUC mounts in load capacity (and durability in their current design/manufacturing version) and should be an easier install since they are two-piece.

There are shock and spring-eye brackets (and bushings) available from Jeg's and Speedway that would simplify fabrication for those of us who are interested in duplicating your efforts.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep, thanks

now that i have a used one in hand finally i can go about making something more proper... still doing some research on a real nice but affordable bushing to use, i think the poly is a bit tighter than necessary on this lux. vehicle but i'm sure it will also break in over time.

here's revision A model:

Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

here's a urethane one, i figure you can do these for 30 bux each or so

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Teching In

are you making these mounts to sell??
or do you have dimensions that you can post?
need new ones but mine are so bad not sure of there
original size
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Mighty!

You should have definitely improved wheel hop with the new mounts. Many of the wheel hop issues are typically exaggerated because the engine/trans assembly reach a natural frequency as they are suspended (via soft mounts) to the vehicle body. A quick and dirty way to solve the issue is to hard mount the parts to the vehicle, or get stiffer mounts (at the cost of more NVH).

I have my UUCs in a box, ready to install. I can't wait to see the differences!

Keep up the awesome work!

Adrian
Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to say, motor mounts do nothing for wheel hop in this car. A FWD yes. Our caddy, no : (

I still have hop even with all of my stuff.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Raven,

You are incorrect. Motor mounts have a LOT to do with hop. You can note that I did not say it eliminates mounts. But it does alleviate the issue some.

I worked in the automotive industry and was involved with this type of testing on RWD cars with a very similar setup to what we have. The engine/transmission act as a suspended mass damper that excited itself when it reaches a natural frequency. I don't know what you did to your car (UUC, or other), but if you would solid mount your engine and trans to your vehicle, you would substantially reduce hop. The remaining wheel hop would be then caused by suspension/tires. We don't solid mount to the body because it would be extremely annoying to drive.

The same concept applies in FWD form, except the natural frequency is reached at a different point.

Trust me...
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

i am not looking to sell any mouts for production, i do have the original mount that i fabricated off the car and if somebody wants to make an offer for it go for it.

i made the mount above out of urethane from grainger and have replaced the first style i made with it.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

How much you want? Shoot me a PM
Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by amfmlittle
Hey Raven,

You are incorrect. Motor mounts have a LOT to do with hop. You can note that I did not say it eliminates mounts. But it does alleviate the issue some.

I worked in the automotive industry and was involved with this type of testing on RWD cars with a very similar setup to what we have. The engine/transmission act as a suspended mass damper that excited itself when it reaches a natural frequency. I don't know what you did to your car (UUC, or other), but if you would solid mount your engine and trans to your vehicle, you would substantially reduce hop. The remaining wheel hop would be then caused by suspension/tires. We don't solid mount to the body because it would be extremely annoying to drive.

The same concept applies in FWD form, except the natural frequency is reached at a different point.

Trust me...

I never said they dont help on other cars, I said better mounts do not help on this car. AT ALL!!! I have them. I should know. I dont really give a **** what you have tested, I doubt you have ever tested a V. I try to help a person out....... see for yourself. I tried to tell you but I guess you will learn soon enough.

Mods are in my sig but I guess if you had a hard time understanding what I wrote the first time then you probably didn't understand whats in my sig.

Last edited by raven154; 05-07-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

MM

How do you like your new design? Less vibs than the previous I assume?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

waddayah say you make a batch of these mighty mounts for the
forums members. say, 2 dozen units?? i or aj will be your best friend.

c'mon, do the right thing, and stop doing all the wrong ones.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

the first style had vibration at low rpm, otherwise was totally fine.

i have yet to have the car touch the ground with the new mount, been waiting on wheels to get powdercoated for 3 weeks!

top v there is a guy on caddyforums that appears to have copied my design and is selling them soon i guess. check that out.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

roger that. and thanks...for what i have no idea?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Raven,

Pull your head out of your ***. If you have a problem being corrected, go see a psychiatrist. I wasn't trying to insult you, so get over youself and grow the hell up.

Although I, myself, didn't test the V, we had a V with all these aftermarket mounts. That's number one. Numero dos, whether I worked on the V or not makes zero difference. The car I worked on was a direct competitor and was set up the same way.

If you could do some sort of data capture on your system, instead of giving me a 'feeler' test, I will step down on this one. In the mean time, your statements make no sense because you don't know what you're talking about.

Finally, I DID read your sig. You made sure you wrote every detail in large, black, bold letters. My statements about improvements had nothing to do with what work you have done, or what my plans are for my car. I was supporting Mighty's awesome inventions, as he deserves.

Adrian

Quick Reply: built my own engine mount