Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stability Control!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability Control!?

I live in central texas where there is a lot of country back roads. Not the smoothest roads in the world... and in texas, the majority of the roads slope off to each side for water run off. Not a 'steep' grade, but maybe about 5-10 degrees.

There is a few i really like to open the V up on. Twice on the same road at about 95-100 while increasing speed, the car has had a SUDDEN pull to the left and then an immediate correction! And its not me. The road is straight, long and pretty much deserted. There is one little bump (patch of asphalt) in the road that i avoid, ease on the left side of the road a bit and my right wheels are about 8-10 inches from the center "hump" in the road. Right about this time is when the car just has a mind of its own and its nearly put me in a ditch twice now.

I cannot disable Stab. or go into comp. mode due to three of my four TMPS sensors not reporting. These will be removed when i get new tires.

Is it stability control sensing the \lean from the grade of the road and over-steering as if i was in a turn at a track
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some people have had to replace the yaw or steering position sensors when they had the stability system kick in while driving straight. If they malfunction the car can suddenly pull to the left or right.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

T!

I just replaced my steering angle/position sensor. It cost less than $250 at the dealer and it fixed the same problem on my V. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the G meter for funny readings (yaw sensor)

I had the same problem on a straight road and it scared the crap out of me when the wheel was jerked out of my hands.

To check the SWPS, monitor with TECH II and bang on the steering column and look for funny readings.

The yaw sensor is easier to replace, but costs around $200.

Located at rear of center console.

This was the cause of my problem.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Gives me a starting point. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Stability Control!?