Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

first time driving gen 1 CTS-V....disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first time driving gen 1 CTS-V....disappointed

Guys, I am not bashing anyone's particular car here, but I have always had a spot in my heart for a CTS-V, and the local Caddy dealer had a red 05 with 11K miles on it. It handled pretty well, but the tires were noisey (I understand that can be fixed) but the trans and rear end seemed to clunk no matter how I shifted it. Obviously powershifting it made some noises, but even granny shifting around 2500-3000 made all kinds of noises.

The interior was pretty nice, except for the cheap plastic buttons on the radio that had all paint chipping off, like most GM radios now. But at least it was a different look and the NAV and gauge cluster were really cool.

I guess all I am saying is, I thought for sure that this was going to be my next car, but I was somewhat disappointed. I guess I will have to look at a G8 GXP now instead....but I fear that won't be much better.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

little price difference dont you think? almost 40k for the gxp when you can get an awesome V for 25k, even with a maggie......the tranny is a bit noisy at times but not as much as you make it sound. The EMT's suck that came factory since there is no spare tire. I swapped mine off an wala it was quiet again. if you buy the right V from a dealer or private owned you should have enough time on the factory warranty to replace the nav system and buttons.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cts-v is one of the hardest cars to learn to drive...thats all thats needed in your case, is more time behind the driver seat. Mine cluncked and wasnt very smooth on shifts....After 3 to 6 months, I was able to drive the car with zero issues. Tell the dealer that most likely the differential carrier bushing (and possibly the differential) and maybe the motor mounts need to be replaced.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

I will agree that a V is very hard to drive smooth and without clunks. A first test drive might turn someone off to the car. I thought my 77 Porsche 911 was a challenge to drive smooth. And when I say SMOOTH, I mean taking a gal on a first date dont give her whiplash while shifting smooth!

If you want to just leasurly flop a shifter thru gears get a cobalt or something but if you want a rewarding driving experience buy a V.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Last time I checked a V was an upgrade in comfort from an F-bod...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Meh, V sucks buy a type rrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

I like memory heated seats and nav! I dont mind the buttons because they are an easy fix. I also love a car that challenges me everytime I drive it! I would have gotten an Auto over my V if I wanted an easy ride.. I love my car more then any other car I have ever owned or driven!!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the OP,
Looks like the V is not for you. Based on your $40+K budget there are many other cars better than an '05 V. Of course, if you bought the V, and spent that surplus $15K on mods, you would have a car that would turn heads all day long, and bitch-slap that Pontiac from one red light to the next without breaking a sweat. The V aint perfect, but on this Forum, it is The King of the LSx World!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
cts-v is one of the hardest cars to learn to drive...thats all thats needed in your case, is more time behind the driver seat. Mine cluncked and wasnt very smooth on shifts....After 3 to 6 months, I was able to drive the car with zero issues. Tell the dealer that most likely the differential carrier bushing (and possibly the differential) and maybe the motor mounts need to be replaced.
Agreed, I've had my car for about 3 months now and driving around with me you won't feel or hear one clunk. At the beginning, the clutch took some getting used to.

Anyone that I let drive my car has clunked the drivetrain around quite a bit and commented on how it's a difficult car to drive smooth.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
You are totally correct, had my car for almost 2 months now and almost no clunk from the transmission (except when I give it some power ). Not really going for smoothness when driving fast.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onebadcad
To the OP,
Looks like the V is not for you. Based on your $40+K budget there are many other cars better than an '05 V. Of course, if you bought the V, and spent that surplus $15K on mods, you would have a car that would turn heads all day long, and bitch-slap that Pontiac from one red light to the next without breaking a sweat. The V aint perfect, but on this Forum, it is The King of the LSx World!!!
nicely put! now when you plan on putting up some vids of your ride for us?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
nicely put! now when you plan on putting up some vids of your ride for us?
The V is usually in storage, but I can work on a few vids for 'me boyz'. Do not expect to see any lead-foot launches, as I have already paid the price once.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone that I let drive my car has clunked the drivetrain around quite a bit and commented on how it's a difficult car to drive smooth.
Yep, I just had someone test drive my car over the weekend. And man I was cringing the way he drove it....i felt like I was in a dump truck. The minute I got back behind the wheel...smooth sailing ZERO clunks....People just need more time under their belts to drive this car well.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

im glad we finally admit this is a hard car to drive smoothly. i thought it was just me
Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The V is usually in storage, but I can work on a few vids for 'me boyz'. Do not expect to see any lead-foot launches, as I have already paid the price once.
despite the lesson learned, i have to say it is time for you to grace us with high resolution pics of your avatar.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tony tone
despite the lesson learned, i have to say it is time for you to grace us with high resolution pics of your avatar.
They are my next-door neighbors, both flight attendents, both divorced and they cannot re-marry due to their alimony agreements. Only home on weekends, my wife wants to complain to the HOA President about their nude sunbathing, but I explained to her they both have a skin condition for which nudity is the only cure. Next time I am over there playing drinking games I will get you a few candid pics.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

They are my next-door neighbors, both flight attendents, both divorced and they cannot re-marry due to their alimony agreements. Only home on weekends, my wife wants to complain to the HOA President about their nude sunbathing, but I explained to her they both have a skin condition for which nudity is the only cure. Next time I am over there playing drinking games I will get you a few candid pics.

so full of $hit! funny, worth dreaming about... but again full of $hit! If you are not... i think you should host a V meet at your house. I love drinking games.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I had a new differential put in, the clunking stopped and the V was a different car to drive. Much, much smoother.

Of course, a month later the clunking returned...

The V is definitely harder to drive (at first) than a lot of other cars.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -T-
so full of $hit! funny, worth dreaming about... but again full of $hit! If you are not... i think you should host a V meet at your house. I love drinking games.
I would have to say thats the best damn thing I've heard all day! +10 for the V meet at badcads pad! Oh and if the neighbors are out of town then you have to supply the asian twins
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove two 'beaters' in college, a Honda with no clutch and an Olds Cutlass with a slipping tranny. Driving the V is not easy, but I had good training. I have an advantage over most Vs, as almost never put the car in first gear, 2nd gear starts are fine due to the TQ.

Quick Reply: first time driving gen 1 CTS-V....disappointed