Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Steering Wheel Vibration????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Vibration????

Well, its bugging the absolute hell out of me. From 55-75 the car vibrates pretty bad. Now i thought for sure it was the EMT's so i wanted to get rid of them anyways and put on GSD3's. I had them balanced 4 times by two different people and the vibration is still there. It is not making any noise, nor grinding at all during turns. It tracks straight down the road also. What could it be? There is no play in the wheels(wheel bearings). any suggestions would be awesome. thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bent wheels?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

well they all seem to run true on the balancing machine and all have only needed a small amount of weight and then they balance right out. How else would you know? if it were bent wouldnt you feel it throughout all speeds?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:36 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I used to have an 04 2500 HD EX-Cab.... I had a lady back into me and fortunately hit ONLY my left rear tire. I figured everything was okay, she was crying... ashamed and embarrased. I didnt want to make matters worse and there was no visual damage to my truck as she hit me going <5MPH.

At around 45-55... the steering wheel would shake and slight vibration. After 55, rode just like normal.

Took it to the local tire shop, they put the wheel and tire on the balancer-when the wheel would be spinning full speed, the computer could not detect an unbalance... but as soon as it would slow down to stop, the machine would shake and show that it needed "aggressive balancing"! IDK. I paid $50 for them to shoot the wheel with a laser to find the warp and sure enough. On the back side of the rim you could see the warp.

Only detectable under certain parameters.. i was reluctant to pay 500 for a new GM wheel. Just delt with it.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

see the only thing is I had the tires rotated after the second balnace to see if the vibration changed and it is exaclty the same. I would think that it would have changed it it were changed from the front of the car to the back, but it didnt.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same issues with my the set of tires that were on the car when I bought it. I don't think the prior owner ever rotated the wheels.

I had the dealer re-balance them when I had it in for warranty work and it didn't help.

Then I found a local shop with a hunter road force balancing machine and had them re-balance them. There they told me the way the tires were worn was causing the balancing problem and no matter what they did they couldn't get them totally balanced. After that it was better, but not gone.

I put my winter set of wheels/tires on and there was no more vibration. I replaced the summer tires shortly after that and haven't had any more issues.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have about 300 miles on my brand new gsd3's now. already rotated them in case they werent perfectly round. i almost know it has to do with the balance but i just dont wanna start throwing a ton of money at it without having a good suspicion of what it was. i was hoping someone would have something different to look at.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration????