Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS1 Swap into 2003 CTS...is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

on a side note we are getting a 09 CTS-V in at my dealership. Used 4k miles, M6, blah blah blah. $52,999. Had a MSRP of 64k when it was new but somebody had it repo'd on them.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
on a side note we are getting a 09 CTS-V in at my dealership. Used 4k miles, M6, blah blah blah. $52,999. Had a MSRP of 64k when it was new but somebody had it repo'd on them.
Wow, that's a great deal.

So have you decided on the swap?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkullV
Drop a 427lsx in it with a built drivetrain and a straight axle 9" rear. We need a single digit 1/4 CTS!
this...
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default Revive. Can it be done??

I own the 05 cts 3.6, and a complete 05 ls1 drivetrain, what would it taketo swap in? My friend re-programs gm comps,so thats not a prob. By the way, SHE didnt check/change the oil in 6 months....and POOF!!! Rod through the block! And yea, its my ex. (no rude comments,I already said em all!!)

Mike
Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

I would LOVE to see this one done. It's a project that is outside of my skill level...Mainly all the fab work that I'm sure it would require, and I simply don't have the tools. I would imagine it could be done and I think it would be on HELLUVA SLEEPER. My brother had an 02 SS Camaro that came as a LS1 6spd "stripper car"...Manual locks, windows, no ttops etc. He did a 427 swap with a 2spd Powerglide. He actually removed all SS badges and went with a set of V6 Camaro wheels (until track days), and even had a single exit exhaust with cutouts. It was one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, due to the fact that NO ONE knew what just happened when a V6 Camaro just blasted off from a stop light lifting a front wheel about 12" off the ground.
The following users liked this post:
Bobby Ferrell (03-26-2020)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I read somewhere once upon a time that the engine cradle for the V was different from the v6 variants.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is different.

It could definitely be done but it would cost way more than it would be worth.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed that it'll be more trouble and cost than it's worth.
I'd go for something a little more fun like a v8 miata or and old Datsun.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mmmm, an LS powered 280Z or even a 510. Oh snapskees!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

ls-s14 would be nice
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah but that's been done.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:49 AM
Teching In

I'm only reviving this thread to answer some questions definitively so people who google this stuff and read this thread will have answers.

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I would LOVE to see this one done.
It's been done, I'm driving it.

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
Mainly all the fab work that I'm sure it would require...
No fab work required.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I thought I read somewhere once upon a time that the engine cradle for the V was different from the v6 variants.
They are, but if you just get the right motor mounts an LS motor will sit on the V6 cradle, crazy, right?

Originally Posted by SSmokd U
It could definitely be done but it would cost way more than it would be worth.
It can definitely be done, yes, it is however absurdly expensive and unless you get parts on the cheap, do the labor yourself, and have NO allusions about any of it...yeah it can be done. For the cost and effort I'd recommend just buying a V. For the truly mad and adventurous, I'm doing my best to document everything I learn about this car. I'm posting over on cadillacforums.com but I'll probably start up something over here on Ls1tech as well.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
Well I would expect to have to swap engine, tranny, rear-end, and driveshaft. I like to wrench on stuff as it keeps me busy. I swap a t-5 into a 86 monte SS before and for those who dont know they were never offered in a manual to begin with so many custom part were needed. I figure all the parts are readily available because they were made with the ls1. Has it been done?
Go for it man!!! Do t let anyone discourage you! Maybe you’ll be the first! You know, the say buy the “V”. If everyone bought there fast cars there wouldn’t be hot riders like you!!! You keep wrenchin, run what you built! Let them run what they bought!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by itsslow98
im sure it can be done but im not sure how dirt cheap the car will have been when you are finished. i dont think a cts is the best candidate from an ls1 swap as it will never be a race car or live up to its potential due to the rear end. PLus you would probably have to change gears, mess with the tranny, computer etc. i would stick to the stock cts and find another donor car.
Give the guy help/knowledge! He’s a true hot rodder!!! Hey if he’s looking for a better donor car maybe start with a Viper, forget the ls1, maybe put a V12 in it... that’s where every hot rodder would be if we listen to the ney sayer!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by white2001formula
I think it's possible, and if you had a donor engine/tran/rear, I think it'd be a whole lot easier. I wouldn't re-wire, I'd just get a whole new wireing harness. Maybe use a CTS-V Harness?
Do a stand alone harness. Getting it running and rolling and work on comforts later!!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Im sure you could do it. Only problem being it its alot of custom work. If you are pretty decent at fabricating you could do it.

Im pretty sure you COULD NOT just take a ls and T56 and put it in. The K member is specific, and i believe the bell housing is different. The placement of alot of the resivours are different. And you would have to beef up the suspension, the 6cyl comes with a completely different suspension setup then the V's.

Even if you got the CTS for 5 grand... i think you would spend over 10k in parts: Motor, Tranny, K member (aarms, rotors, hubs, calipers), rearend... The problem is there just isnt a big enough market for PARTS let alone aftermarket. Like i cannot find an aftermarket set of a-arms. Factory those are $350 a piece ($120 used), K member is $450 new ($300 used). plus calipers, shocks, rotors.... thats over 2k right there. Parts are very hard to come by. Your never going to see, "Parting out my V, come grab parts!" And when your done... you wouldnt be able to sell it for $15k.

If you do start it, use the cleveland pick apart. They are one of the ONLY ones out there ive found with parts available. Very good people to work with. And become very friendly with your local chevy dealer, so you can get all the diagrams and part numbers. You'll need to borrow someones V vin because they have a VERY VERY hard time finding the right parts in the computer. I dont think i would do it unless i had a V donor...

Good luck man!
Get friendly with all the parts shops local. But, don’t forget to hang around any dirt track, drag strip, racing venues. These guys have sourced heavy duty parts from everywhere! Don’t forget Speedway Motors, Jegs, Summit. Always had luck asking those guys questions!

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap into 2003 CTS...is it possible