Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Modified stock shifter and uuc bushings :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified stock shifter and uuc bushings :D

Wow does the combo feel amazing. shifting is alot shorter, about 30% id say.

I extended the bottom of the stock cadillac shifter . Feels awsome , no extra noise like some aftermarket shifters get. This is basicly what TPIS does so i gotta give them gredit for the idea.

I used a piece of schd 40 steel 1/2" black pipe , cut it 1 -1/16 of a inch and had it welded to the bottom of the stock shifter.
You may have touch up the inside of the cut peice with a small round file to get any inperfections out, helps the stock white bushings fit in better.

The UUC bushings are amazing, make the gears just pop right in. No more loose feel . These are a awsome bang for the buck!!

The install wasnt to bad, did it from the top without dropping the driveshaft or exhaust. And didnt remove the center console either.

Drilling the rivets isnt easy but i figured out a good method. What I did was I first tapped in a 5/16 self taping metal screw from the top in the center of the rivet . Then pulled the screws out and used a unibit to go all the way through.

Getting the bushings on takes some trial and error. You gotta hold them closed with a pair of pliers while you force the metal rail over them , its tricky cause they try to open up on you . I did it from the top then from the bottom I made the final adjustments and set the rail in place.

here go some pics .

Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt it so much nicer....makes me run errands for no reason LOL
Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the write-up.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Launching!

I will definitely be doing this, thanks for the before and after pics.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

maxspeed,
When you say sch40 pipe, you mean just black iron gas pipe right? I was in Lowes yesterday and did not see any designator on the tags about sch40 or not.

Should get my bushings today and planning on doing this on Sat
Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by L82gofast
maxspeed,
When you say sch40 pipe, you mean just black iron gas pipe right? I was in Lowes yesterday and did not see any designator on the tags about sch40 or not.

Should get my bushings today and planning on doing this on Sat

yup reg scd 40 1/2" gas pipe.
When you weld it make sure you use a stick welder or argon gas If you use a mig.

It will be stong enough to hold the world.

When i installed i noticed. There is even room to weld it about .25" lower but it will be good enought were I have it to.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
yup reg scd 40 1/2" gas pipe.
When you weld it make sure you use a stick welder or argon gas If you use a mig.

It will be stong enough to hold the world.

When i installed i noticed. There is even room to weld it about .25" lower but it will be good enought were I have it to.
Sweet, I am set. I have a stick welder. Got the bushings today so I am on it this weekend.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I'll be shipping all pieces to you and expect it should be all assembled and back by tomorrow morning for the install

i kid i kid
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

I have a spare one for sale if anyone is interested.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...t-shifter.html
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Nice! I'll be shipping all pieces to you and expect it should be all assembled and back by tomorrow morning for the install

i kid i kid
So many comedians out of work and you are cracking jokes.... for shame...

I got one word for this mod.... SA-WEEET! It feels so much better with the shifter set up like this. When I ordered the bushings I popped for the UUC Vknob also. I really like the heavy Stainless, helps the feel of the shift.

Only issue I came across was the pipe I bought was a bit rough inside so I had to dremel inside it to smooth it out for the bushings.

A tip when installing the poly bushings. Put a zip tie around the bushing next to the large diameter part. Near the back. after you put them on. Then start the bar on them. It keeps the bushings from opening up while you press the bar on. Then cut the zip tie and finish pushing the bar on. I used a pry bar from underneath to push the bar onto the bushings. Using a little pressure alternating sides it went on the bushings with no issue.

Don't hesitate. Do it!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by L82gofast
So many comedians out of work and you are cracking jokes.... for shame...

I got one word for this mod.... SA-WEEET! It feels so much better with the shifter set up like this. When I ordered the bushings I popped for the UUC Vknob also. I really like the heavy Stainless, helps the feel of the shift.

Only issue I came across was the pipe I bought was a bit rough inside so I had to dremel inside it to smooth it out for the bushings.

A tip when installing the poly bushings. Put a zip tie around the bushing next to the large diameter part. Near the back. after you put them on. Then start the bar on them. It keeps the bushings from opening up while you press the bar on. Then cut the zip tie and finish pushing the bar on. I used a pry bar from underneath to push the bar onto the bushings. Using a little pressure alternating sides it went on the bushings with no issue.

Don't hesitate. Do it!

Nice, with this shifter it feels like your driving a totaly diffrent car, no more sloppy cadi feel. Its been a few days since Ive done it and im still suprised each time I get in it.

Quick Reply: Modified stock shifter and uuc bushings :D