Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Comp 1.72 Ultra Gold rockers in LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Comp 1.72 Ultra Gold rockers in LS2?

LS2 CTS-V. I'm interested in optimizing the engine in the car, but don't want to do a cam. The Comp Cams Ultra Golds have a 1.72 rocker ratio, so I don't think that would cause valve guide wear, but is there a performance increase going from the OEM LS2 rocker to a fully rollerized lightweight rocker with a slightly higher ratio?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting posting....
Im curious what you find out about this too...
I have 2004 LS6 stock motor...

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com
Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

only real purpose of roller rockers is to reduce friction and valve train noise..other than that there really isnt too much of a HP gain..
Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the effect of a higher rocker ratio on hp/tq, here's some info from PatrickG....a pretty credible guy.

This is going from a 1.7 to a 1.85 rocker. Generally, a .1 ratio increase will produce measurable results.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-results.html
Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

I've read the LS2 valvetrain doesn't like the aggressive rocker ratios, the valve guides wear out too quicky. That's why I was contemplating the validity of the 1.72 rockers. Considering the OP in that thread saw about 10rwhp gain with a .15 increase in rocker ratio, I doubt a .02 would have enough of an effect to warrant the price tag.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lubelizard
I've read the LS2 valvetrain doesn't like the aggressive rocker ratios, the valve guides wear out too quicky.
Side thrust (and the accompanying wear), that's what the roller tips alleviate.

There's no real design difference in any of the GenIII/IV valvetrains except for the L92/LS3 series heads (and the LS7 heads), which have an offset intake rocker.

LS7s (same layout geometry) have a rocker ratio of 1.8 without a roller tip and they live quite well.

You have to pay attention to the pushrod length when altering the rocker ratio or cam specs, something that's quite often overlooked.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scatillac
Side thrust (and the accompanying wear), that's what the roller tips alleviate.

There's no real design difference in any of the GenIII/IV valvetrains except for the L92/LS3 series heads (and the LS7 heads), which have an offset intake rocker.

LS7s (same layout geometry) have a rocker ratio of 1.8 without a roller tip and they live quite well.

You have to pay attention to the pushrod length when altering the rocker ratio or cam specs, something that's quite often overlooked.

I run the 1:8 Crane gold rollers and I love them. The are actually 1:8.2 with the accelerated lift design and I couldn't be happier. I had the 1.7 when I was NA and when I went to the smaller cam for the blower, I bumped up to the 1.8's. It is the quietest LSx valve train I've ever heard.

Quick Reply: Comp 1.72 Ultra Gold rockers in LS2?