Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Another Diff bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
well i dont want to sound to crazy by saying my rear is bullet proof but i have a 2006 V and i drive it HARD like launching banging gears drifting you name it. and all ive ever replaced on the car was the rear diff bushing, but i do keep in mind that its only a matter of time :/.
I drive the same way man, its only a metter of time.

Plus my cam, headers and spec stage 3 must put more stress on the diff as well ....

I plan on fabbing up a cage and just try to distribute the stress from the pinion around the diff...
It will bolt around the diff it self not to the cradle like the BMR pinion brace.

I dont plan on making it bulletproof but I think its the best thing I can do that wont cost me a arm and a leg .

The one pictured is for the vette and bolts the trans and diff together, mine will just bolt to diffrent areas of the diff with some steel ..

(Mine wont be as fancy either)
Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I've made 9 passes at the track on my car this summer and have been itching now that track nights are 40 degrees instead of 90 degrees. I just dont want to push my luck...I might pick up a spare diff then hit the track again so if I go on a Friday I can be back on the road by Monday.

I didn't know the V2 rear (3rd gen diff) bolted up to our rear. I know they got rid of the wheelhop issue with the V2, but what did they specifically do to the diff this time?
The third gen diff is not what comes in the V2 cts-v. Its a bit confussing, but its just the third gen of diffs for the V1(1st gen) cts-v lol. The v2 diff wont just bolt into our cars
Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I think the best thing we can do for our diffs is to try and minimize wheelhop. That is usually the killer of any rearend. Its like taking a jackhammer to it. I have added the cradle bushings and the front diff bushing and am going to order a hendrix halfshaft as soon as possible.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

I figured when he said redesigned in 08, that was the one that made it into the V2. It sounds like the most cost effective thing would be the 08 rear, good axles and maybe a kars kit for support.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Banned

Just to update everyone on what skull meant by V3 rear..

Its not a rear from a 08-09 V.

Its just the 06-07 diff with some more design changes. ( no one knows how good it is yet since its still fairly new but I guess none have broken yet )
Old 12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

Any one on here know about cryo treating ?

I have only heard about it, dont know much but from what Ive gathered it has to do with strengthening metals.

The pricing looks fair, I wonder If we would benifit if we did the differential case ?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

..that would involve completely disassembling and rebuilding the diff and I hear that is the biggest PITA..lol.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Just to update everyone on what skull meant by V3 rear..

Its not a rear from a 08-09 V.

Its just the 06-07 diff with some more design changes. ( no one knows how good it is yet since its still fairly new but I guess none have broken yet )
If this is a re-engineered '06/'07 diff, it is still junk!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
..that would involve completely disassembling and rebuilding the diff and I hear that is the biggest PITA..lol.
well since I bought a used diff for cheap , Im going to check out all the gears and guts in my current diff and if its still good Ill buy just the case
( i think they sell it like that )
Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

I think I might need a new driveshaft to
Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch....another 800. sorry bro, where is the shaft damaged?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:56 AM
TECH Regular

I havent had any trouble with my Gen 3 diff, and I drag race my car a lot on nitrous! Try getting one. Trust me, you dont wanna go through this again.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
I havent had any trouble with my Gen 3 diff, and I drag race my car a lot on nitrous! Try getting one. Trust me, you dont wanna go through this again.
Dont have the cash right now, plus now I need to find a drivesaft.

Im going to try to see If I could get a custom aluminum one for for a fair price or Ill find a used one.

800$ is crazy and theres no possible way to fix the coupler either...
Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
Stageup,
Glad you have yet to leave your diff fluid all over the dragstrip. Any vids of you coming out of the hole and red-line slamming shifts all the way done the track. You may be the exception, but most of us are afraid to shift hard, let alone launch, as too many before us, including me, have paid the price for doing it. If this Gen III diff has some more V-owner support I may look into it.
Thanks.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Stageup,
Glad you have yet to leave your diff fluid all over the dragstrip. Any vids of you coming out of the hole and red-line slamming shifts all the way done the track. You may be the exception, but most of us are afraid to shift hard, let alone launch, as too many before us, including me, have paid the price for doing it. If this Gen III diff has some more V-owner support I may look into it.
Thanks.
Id like to see some vids as well, I'll believe the gen 3 fix when I see it, cause some guys says even the 06-07 diff is a beast, but yet no one hits the track slamming gears with them and I have heard of a few break still.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Stageup,
Thanks.
Ive made over 100 passes on mine (3rd gen case) with bolt ons a tune, and a couple on nitrous. I also made a couple passes on a 2nd gen case without any breaking but it got NOISY. I'll try and dig up some videos.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkullV
Ive made over 100 passes on mine (3rd gen case) with bolt ons a tune, and a couple on nitrous. I also made a couple passes on a 2nd gen case without any breaking but it got NOISY. I'll try and dig up some videos.

Nice, were you able to pull of some good 60fts?

I notice not many get good times with the V.
Most looked like they just couldnt get 60 fts right..

Quick Reply: Another Diff bites the dust...