Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Aftermarket radiators

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... I think I may need one too! Was also told that I have a slight radiator leak but I can get the dealership that just fixed my car to replace it since it was just replaced about 200 miles ago! ****!!! I keep forgetting to call the insurance adjuster...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scatillac
Darkman,

Do you have any photos of your installation that you could post up?

I'm interested in the fan shroud fitment on the driver's side (especially in the bolt area) as I have minimal clearance there due to a larger MAF and intake tube. The area indicated on the edited copy of your photo shows where the issue is.
I have pictures. They are smaller than the max size indicated in attachment management window, but I am unable to upload them. I get an error message saying that even one picture exceeds the forum quota. (Confusing since I uploaded pictures before).

Last edited by Darkman; 12-16-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Last edited by Darkman; 12-17-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that would never work with an 8 rib kit and a maggie. I had cut on the fans just to get my 8 rib to fit with a stock radiator!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the posting. The last photo in the series tells me what I needed (and was afraid) to know.

Since I no longer have the squeeze tube, I'm history as far as this application is concerned. My tube is 4" and it's very tight on the driver's side upper bolt. I had to relieve the fan boss and use a button socket head bolt to get even minimal clearance on both sides of the tube.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SkullV
He did, he was also the one who got Ron Davis to start making these.
i forgot to put 'anymore'...
Luke does not bother with selling Ron Davis, anymore.

too thick for a procharger anyways.. lots of modding.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

holy thick radiator! Doesn't even look like I could fit a stock maggie intake around that sucker.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

What did you have to re-route to install the crankcase catch can?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lubelizard
What did you have to re-route to install the crankcase catch can?
If your question is directed at me, the answer is nothing. It is an Elite Engineering catch can. It came with an L-shaped bracket which I shortened and bolted to a home made bracket that attaches to an existing bolt on the front of the motor. It was originally installed using the LS6 stock plumbing. There is now another hose in the picture runnning to the air intake tube just upstream of the throttle body. Thas was added when I installed a ported LS2 throttle body using a TPIS 90mm LS6 instake.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 AM

You can check out the following website for aftermarket cheap radiators
Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
Is the Ron Davis any better at cooling then the OEM one? I am honestly looking to improve my cooling abilities however possible.
Yes, 20% better.
I offer Ron Davis radiators and run in my personal car.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

You can optimize the current cooling system by changing the coolant ratio to 75% distilled water and 25% coolant, and add a surfactant like RMI-25. Then look into a different thermostat, and possibly a pressure cap that has a higher pressure rating. The higher pressure and surfactant will reduce hot spots inside the cylinder heads and promote better heat transfer to the coolant mix. Then just make sure all the air going through the nose of the car is ducted into the radiator. I haven't looked at mine yet, but many of the other cars I've owned needed a little help ducting all the air into the radiator.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered one from Radiators.com for $211 SHIPPED (but had to pay tax).
Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Speaking of radiators, I met a guy here in SoCal on another board I am a member of who recently started making radiators. He has an engineering background, and abilities to make radiators, and has a passion for cars. He is in the middle of a 25.3 build Buick Grand National, so that is the first platform he made a rad for. I have one of his radiators in my GN and it is amazing. I got a powdercoated one from him, to which a lot of guys said the coating would be a detriment, but it is working amazingly well. He has made other radiators for other cars like Pony Mustangs, etc and I started asking him about making radiators for the V's. Main reason I asked is I am not really super comfortable with how hot it runs currently, and mine seeps a little between the aluminum core and the plastic end tanks (or top/ bottom tanks in this case). Seems to be a common occurrance.

Even though we are limited on space in the radiator area, he said he is pretty sure he can increase the cooling ability substantially. I sent him my stock V rad, and the aftermarket aluminum one is going through production right now. I will be testing the new rad, and will start a new thread detailing the install and testing I do on it.

I am stoked because I have seen his work on the other rad in my GN, and I love to get a product from a vendor who supports the auto sport, not to mention it will be all aluminum, without crappy plastic end tanks, and will be all AMERICAN made!

I'll be sure to post up a new thread when I do get it, hopefully within the next few weeks.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Is it going to be as crazy thick as the Ron Davis, or thinner to make install and packaging a little more reasonable? I'd like to see it be able to clear the black plastic core cover.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Is it going to be as crazy thick as the Ron Davis, or thinner to make install and packaging a little more reasonable? I'd like to see it be able to clear the black plastic core cover.
He is trying to make it as close to stock as possible fitment-wise, with all the stock stuff going right back on like factory. He said he can gain some width, probably 3/4" (moving towards motor I think) and also improve the cooling capacity. It is going to be tough to accommodate the guys who have stepped up to a supercharger due to the pulley clearance, but we shall see. It was even mentioned about making the "U" channel across the top of it, so you could run your intake tube straight forward, over the rad, and in front of the rad, however you would lose the ability to use the stock hood latch, and would have to use pins. That may come later, but for now he wants to make one close to factory. I cannot wait to see it. The craftsmanship on the GN rad I got from him is amazing, and I expect the same with this one. I will post some pics of the GN rad to show a little. This is the all aluminum one, powdercoated to look like the stocker:

PS, price should be much less than the RD unit.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket radiators-dsc01102.jpg   Aftermarket radiators-dsc01103.jpg   Aftermarket radiators-dsc01108.jpg  
Old 08-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Squid4life
He is trying to make it as close to stock as possible fitment-wise, with all the stock stuff going right back on like factory. He said he can gain some width, probably 3/4" (moving towards motor I think) and also improve the cooling capacity. It is going to be tough to accommodate the guys who have stepped up to a supercharger due to the pulley clearance, but we shall see. It was even mentioned about making the "U" channel across the top of it, so you could run your intake tube straight forward, over the rad, and in front of the rad, however you would lose the ability to use the stock hood latch, and would have to use pins. That may come later, but for now he wants to make one close to factory. I cannot wait to see it. The craftsmanship on the GN rad I got from him is amazing, and I expect the same with this one. I will post some pics of the GN rad to show a little. This is the all aluminum one, powdercoated to look like the stocker:

PS, price should be much less than the RD unit.
I would be intersted in the "U" channel design.

I like the look of flush mount hood pins.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by roswald0511
I would be intersted in the "U" channel design.

I like the look of flush mount hood pins.
I will keep that in mind, and let him know as well. I think the plan would be to offer it in options. Like with the Grand National radiators he makes, he offers one with no coolers (oil/trans fluid), one cooler, or both coolers. I think once we "pedigree" this one here in a few weeks, then he should be able to make the one with the U channel. I never thought I'd need one with the U in it, but after the wife saw another V with the E-Force, she warmed up to the idea of a 'charger. We shall see. I am super excited to get this test unit. I have the other rad in my GN and it is killer. My GN is my daily here in SoCal and I rarely ever even have to turn the fans on it cools so well. Looks sexy too!

I will start another thread when I get the rad in to show the install process, and mods (don't expect any/many) and performance results. Stay tuned!

James
Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Well, as promised here is the radiator Peter from ALRADCO made. These are his pics, and the rad is in the mail to me right now. I will post a ton more pics when I get it here, and will do an install/how to thread with comparisons and details. I think it turned out awesome! I can't wait to see it in person!

After seeing the detail, welds, etc I wondered if he was going to be able to keep it affordable. Like with the Grand National radiators, he is not asking a ton trying to make a ton of money. He is trying to do something good for the hobby and give everyone something we can enjoy. The price???? Under $500! I am sure he could ask more, but he feels there is no reason to rake guys over the coals.

Take a peek, let me know if you have any questions, and stay tuned for the install/comparison thread!!!

James

EDIT: There is a reason for the Red, White, and Blue in the background. Peter's radiators are AMERICAN made!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd appreciate some dimensions once you have the radiator in your possession. I'd also like to see pics of it mounted, in particular the clearance at the top to the intake tube, radiator fans, etc, which seems to be the tighest area.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radiators