Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Aftermarket radiators

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I'd appreciate some dimensions once you have the radiator in your possession. I'd also like to see pics of it mounted, in particular the clearance at the top to the intake tube, radiator fans, etc, which seems to be the tighest area.
Will definitely do that. I did an install thread for the ALRADCO radiator in my Grand National, and I took a bunch of pics from every angle. I will do the same thing with this with all side by side measurements, dimensions, etc. This radiator is supposed to fit just like stock, with little to no modifications. He had my stock rad as a mockup/model during the process, so we hope it is all good to go.

I hope the shipping guys hurry!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also interested in dimensions and install information. I hope it's not as thick as that RD monstrosity.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lubelizard
I am also interested in dimensions and install information. I hope it's not as thick as that RD monstrosity.
No, it won't be that crazy wide. It shouldn't be too awful thicker than stock. I gave him all dimensions, and we discussed which direction it could "grow" by a 1/4 to 3/8". I got a message from him saying it should be delivered Monday, so I should have pics up early next week!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting project. I'm sure lot's of us are interested. How do you intend to compare (measure) cooling capacity over the stock radiator when you report back with the test results? It looks well made BTW.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Interesting project. I'm sure lot's of us are interested. How do you intend to compare (measure) cooling capacity over the stock radiator when you report back with the test results? It looks well made BTW.
Well, it was pretty easy with my Buick, I control the fans manually so did before and after with sitting in the driveway, timing how long it took to get to op temp (160) or higher with the fans off. With the stocker (actually an F Body rad by this time) I could leave the fans off and let it get to about 190, then kick the fan on and see how long it took to cool back to 160. Similar tests with the ALRADCO radiator was different as it took forever to get to higher temps and continued to work really well. When I drive it, I don't even use the fans unless in traffic sitting forever.

I would like to do the same thing with the Cad rad. But, since the fans don't kick on until 224ish, that may be difficult. I guess I could leave the car in the driveway, and let it run to 224 when the fans kick on, and time it. Then, swap radiators and do the same thing.

Also, another measurement which is much simpler, measure the fluid volume of the radiators.

Anyone have any other/better ideas?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Squid4life
Well, it was pretty easy with my Buick, I control the fans manually so did before and after with sitting in the driveway, timing how long it took to get to op temp (160) or higher with the fans off. With the stocker (actually an F Body rad by this time) I could leave the fans off and let it get to about 190, then kick the fan on and see how long it took to cool back to 160. Similar tests with the ALRADCO radiator was different as it took forever to get to higher temps and continued to work really well. When I drive it, I don't even use the fans unless in traffic sitting forever.

I would like to do the same thing with the Cad rad. But, since the fans don't kick on until 224ish, that may be difficult. I guess I could leave the car in the driveway, and let it run to 224 when the fans kick on, and time it. Then, swap radiators and do the same thing.

Also, another measurement which is much simpler, measure the fluid volume of the radiators.

Anyone have any other/better ideas?
I think both are good measurements to start. I suppose you would want the outside temp to be close on the days you test the fan start. Maybe your oil temp may read slightly lower as well. This would be another nice cooling option for the V. Nice job.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
I think both are good measurements to start. I suppose you would want the outside temp to be close on the days you test the fan start. Maybe your oil temp may read slightly lower as well. This would be another nice cooling option for the V. Nice job.
Good point, will definitely take that into account as well. When I did the GN testing, I did it at the exact same time of night, and recorded air inlet temps as well. I guess I will do the stocker measurements one night, noting all temps outside, plus oil, etc. Then, next night do the same thing noting all the temps, etc. I am pretty OCD about details given enough time, so will make sure I pay attention to all that stuff. Thanks again for the input.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Quick update with some pics I took of the rad today. Was a little rushed so they are not the best. Will get better ones during the install process, hopefully tomorrow. I am very impressed with the workmanship on this thing. The welds are really nice, the radiator hose necks are super thick, it is now a two core, vice a single core like the stocker, it is wider, but not overly wide, and the places where you thread a nut into are helicoiled. That will make it nice where you won't spin the threads out the first time you bolt it in and get a little aggressive... He plans to offer it black powder coated as well, if you prefer the semi-stock look.

The one everyone was waiting on:

Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

She's in! New thread below:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...l#post15336303

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radiators