Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What are the major differences and improvements of CTSV's from 05-07

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer
Is there any differences between the 07's and 08's? I haven't really seen any 08's for sale, but I figured i'd ask in case I find one. I would love to get my hands on an 09 or 10 with the supercharged engine, but that's a bit expensive for my taste right now.
You cant go wrong with a 2007. There were no CTS-Vs made in model year 2008. They started back up in 2009. A used 2009 will run you high $40k range. If that is in your budget then forget about a 2007.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
No V was made in 08, but if you find one buy it lol jk. but seriously no V in 08......and yes to play a DVD you pop out the NAV disc out put in a DVD it will play and if you look on cadillacfaq.com it will show you how to play the movie while your moving.
Right on! I'm sure there is a way to bypass or unlock it, there always is. I did that with my flipup in the truck, for a while I used a switch to trick it into thinking the parking brake was on then i found an unlock code to remove that completely.

I was wondering why I couldnt find any 08's now i know why. I cant really find any 09's used either, but they are just too new and not too many people are trading them off yet I guess.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whisler151
You cant go wrong with a 2007. There were no CTS-Vs made in model year 2008. They started back up in 2009. A used 2009 will run you high $40k range. If that is in your budget then forget about a 2007.
Yeah high 40's are out of my range that I want to spend at this point. I just want a decent car in the mid 20's at this point, so the 07 CTSV is a great option. I was really considering a C6, but this CTSV has really won me over. Now I need to go find one, test drive it and really fall in love.... or hate it, which i doubt i will.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I just bought an 06 black on black about a month ago. Been drooling over these cars since they first came out! This is the first high performance vehicle I've owned and it is freaking sick. I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off. It's a daily driver and there is not a day that goes by that someon don't ask how I made my Cadillac sound like so mean. And if u get lucky like me and get the opportunity to buy one pre modded do it. Some people can't drop a grand on a set of kooks headers everyday.. Good luck with the hunt. These things are fun!!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 AM

When I drove the V for the first time, I swore that the shifter was worn out... and I told the salesman that it needed to be taken into the back and fixed.

Then I researched more, and found out that was normal... the shifter is mushy.

One of the first mods you might want to consider is the upgraded shifter bushings from Luke at Lindsey Cadillac... and while you are in there... you may want to get a short shifter kit, or modify the stock one.

There is a ton of helpful info (comparisons for model years, know issues and fixes, etc.) over at cadillacfaq.com

Most people feel that the stock exhaust is pretty good, and so if you want to save some money on mods... headers first seem to be the ticket to more power. Exhaust is pretty much just if you want it to sound better.

Also... the intake seems to also be pretty efficient on the V (with an efficient filter), so you could probably skip the CAI for a while also. From what I am reading, a Cat Back and the CAI are adding about 5 hp each (or so).

The motor mounts are a weak link. They don't last long under lots of harder acceleration - but that is what is fun in driving the V. The Diff bushing is also a big weak link!!

One of the mods you may want to plan for early on, is getting the poly motor mounts and diff bushing. The poly also tightens up the drive train, and people are liking that benefit. The stiffer poly also adds vibration, that is the down side. Creative Steel makes poly mounts/ bushing in 3 different stiffness, so that helps when you are deciding. (leave the trans mount - stiffening it up seems to add ALLOT of vibration, and it seems to last just fine stock).

I have been looking at allot of 05 Vs - and I am not seeing allot of them that have the newer Diff replaced into them... but then again I am looking at low mileage and adult driven Vs. There is a way to tell by the part number on the diff, and if you search for it, you can get a list of those part numbers and the year they were used. The very last one used as a replacement seems to be the very best of all of them (that makes sense) A new diff is around $1,700 from Lindsey (not installed).

I would also run the vin through carfax, and if you can, the dealer for the list of warranty work done on it. There is a car with the listed warranty work done on it, at another forum, that clearly was beat on - 3 diffs and Lots of brake work, all before 50k miles.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by manycars; 02-16-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Launching!

If your interior looks to be light gray, you probably have the light gray interior instead of the tan. Interior color options are Black, Light Gray or Tan.

Exterior options are:

2004-05: Stealth Gray, Black Raven, Light Platinum, Redline
2006-07: Thunder Grey, Black Raven, Light Platinum, Infared

Good to know. I thought the interior was black or tan.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my LS6 but given the chance I'd take the 06-07, one for steering wheel radio controls, and XM traffic actually works on them...04-05 has xm traffic, but it doesn't work...only other reason is at least with the 06-07 you know you have the new diff...but fyi my catback ls6 V beat my friends headers ls2 V...but it is a drivers race...they're extremely close speed wise....if your all about having the rare motor, go for the 04-05...I love mine, but really love steering wheel radio controls
Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nikon
I love my LS6 but given the chance I'd take the 06-07, one for steering wheel radio controls, and XM traffic actually works on them...04-05 has xm traffic, but it doesn't work...only other reason is at least with the 06-07 you know you have the new diff...but fyi my catback ls6 V beat my friends headers ls2 V...but it is a drivers race...they're extremely close speed wise....if your all about having the rare motor, go for the 04-05...I love mine, but really love steering wheel radio controls
Yeah thats what im shooting for is a nice low milage 07, there are a few around its a matter of picking the right one and then haggling down the price a bit.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikon
I remember those videos . In our Vs the launch is crucial. Did you and (Chris?) do any from a roll?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer
wow really? the LS2 is a piece of crap? do the 08's come with an ls3 like the c6's?

I wonder why the ls6's are better than the ls2's i always was under the impression that the ls2 improved on the ls6's. Mann this is interesting, now im having second thoughts about getting this 07. I wish it was closer so I could test drive it.
The car's modification future would be the deciding factor for me. Left with minor mods, I'd take the LS6, but with major changes planned, I'd take the LS2.

The LS2 has the larger (4" vs 3.898") bore which unshrouds the valves when compared to the LS6. This allows for a wider choice of heads, including the L92/LS3 heads.

The LS2 fuel rails will also work with the factory intakes for the L76/LS3 heads (and the new LSXR 102 manifold, pn 146102) as will the LS2's 90mm TB. These, combined with the L92/LS3 heads and the correct cam will produce outstanding performance at a very reasonable cost.

The LS2 case will also allow dry sleeves for a 4.125 bore if more displacement in the your future.

Last edited by scatillac; 02-17-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Teching In

If your interior looks to be light gray, you probably have the light gray interior instead of the tan. Interior color options are Black, Light Gray or Tan.

Exterior options are:

2004-05: Stealth Gray, Black Raven, Light Platinum, Redline
2006-07: Thunder Grey, Black Raven, Light Platinum, Infared

I was under the impression that 04 V's only came in black or silver, I havent found any other color listing for the first year group V's, in 05 they have the expanded color line
Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04 cts-V
I was under the impression that 04 V's only came in black or silver, I havent found any other color listing for the first year group V's, in 05 they have the expanded color line
You may be on to something. I didn't get into the V scene till 2007 so I didn't pay much attention to the 04s. It does look like 04 was Black and Silver only, and 05 the opened it up.

Good call.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Teching In

no worries, the more info the better
Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember those videos . In our Vs the launch is crucial. Did you and (Chris?) do any from a roll?
Ya it's the only time he could beat me...even with the blower I smoked him off the line....I did beat him with the headers, but I was talking about a black Ls2 V, Chris had an ls6...most people just can't figure out how to drive

lolz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enTjcey4S_Q
Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by scatillac
The car's modification future would be the deciding factor for me. Left with minor mods, I'd take the LS6, but with major changes planned, I'd take the LS2.

The LS2 has the larger (4" vs 3.898") bore which unshrouds the valves when compared to the LS6. This allows a for wider choice of heads, including the L92/LS3 heads.

The LS2 fuel rails will also work with the factory intakes for the L76/LS3 heads (and the new LSXR 102 manifold, pn 146102) as will the LS2's 90mm TB. These, combined with the L92/LS3 heads and the correct cam will produce outstanding performance at a very reasonable cost.

The LS2 case will also allow dry sleeves for a 4.125 bore if more displacement in the your future.
Hummmm... I was so going with an 04 or 05 LS6 - until I read this.

Approximately how much would it cost to do those mods to an LS2?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by manycars
Hummmm... I was so going with an 04 or 05 LS6 - until I read this.

My shop will do the full cam swap for $1450 and the ported heads for $1400 (installed). I'd go ahead and port the TB and intake. TB will run you another $150 and intake manifold ported will run $250.

Most shops should be able to do this for under $3500. With those mods mated with my cam I would be in the 460rwhp arena easy.

LS2 FTW!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manycars
If you're referencing a price for L92/LS3 heads and intake swap, you can get an idea of the parts price from a sponsoring vendor. Since most of the stuff required is GM OEM, I'd suggest the Scoggin-Dickey website.

By using the FAST LSXR 102 intake, you will drive the price up when compared to the GM LS3 manifold, but the cost will be offset by the GM L92/LS3 head price. If you were to stick with the stock LS3 manifold, you'd still have an excellent package.

For a performance indicator with the stock LS3 heads & manifold, do a search on the G8 Pontiacs that Patrick G has been doing. A cammed G8 motor, that's basically what you'd end up with, and those are pretty stout.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i'm totally sold on the 07 you guys! Now its just a matter of finding the right car and going and getting it!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all this talk about how great the LS2 is and how much better it is then the LS6 make me wanna

can we change the title of the thread to "Why a truck motor is better"
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
all this talk about how great the LS2 is and how much better it is then the LS6 make me wanna

can we change the title of the thread to "Why a truck motor is better"
hahaha sure! I think having an LS6 would be cool, considering that was made for the z06 ( if im not mistaken ), but i'm just going with newer personally, i'm sure there are pros and cons for both engines. It all comes down to a newer vehicle for me, i'd rather have an 07 vs an 05 and if i could turn it into an ls3 or something along the lines of the new CTSV performance then so be it. I just plan on daily driving this and not making it too gonzo like my WS6 was, but I do plan on stabbing a cam in it and doing some headers and maybe some head work. So... it should be pretty fun for a caddy.

Quick Reply: What are the major differences and improvements of CTSV's from 05-07