Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

rear diff (surprise!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear diff (surprise!)

yeah big news another diff is going right? well mine (stock 05) clunked extra good the other day. it still runs, but if u turn off all noise (heat music blahblah) inside and start to move, theres a nasty lil grinding noise. i did a lil searching and i read somethin bout Luke. i dont suppose there is a recall for these lol but if not whats a good bet and wont break the bank entirely? one from an 06? or even a newer v like 09 or10? or is there a good aftermarket. i dont need a race car but i def want way better than stock (dont take much) might get a good tune exhaust intake short throw ect soon and do partake in the occasional testosterone check lol
Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Well expect to pay about 7500 for a madman rear end if you want aftermarket. There was one for sale in the classifieds fir 5000 it is a one off custom piece. They the second gen is a little better and there is supposed to be another redesign for the 04-07 v. Luke would know. As for 09 plus so far I don't think anybody has made a solid atempt at if although there was talks of it. Have to replace the gas tank and rear cradle and what not to attempt it.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM

Just going from memory... read this awhile back.

There are like 4 or 5 different diffs / part numbers for the 04 to 07 Vs. The last one is considered the best, which makes sense. If I remember right, it was installed as the warranty replacement from late 07 on. There seems to be no known issue of anyone breaking the newest one.

Luke can get them new for $1700 to $1800... something like that. You can read more about them (part # & pricing) in the resource section of the other forum. Doesn't seem to be an option available right now between the latest GM diff... and the aftermarket $7500 Madman.

If you are looking for a used one, maybe someone here can confirm this, but I don't think there has been an 06 on up diff that has shattered a case like the 04/ 05 might do... but I think some of the earlier 06/ 07 have been known to maybe eventually start to whine if driven hard. I will leave that for those in the know more than I. My knowledge is just what I have read.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

alright so how do i get ahold of luke?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Ask for Luke in Parts. I have talked with him, he is a nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Lindsay Cadillac - Alexandria, VA.
888-894-1729
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I just called him up and I'm lookin just over $1600. What about halfshafts? I'm thinkin of some type of upgrade nothing crazy but something to help with wheelhop aren't the hendricks econo models good for the $? Any other tips or ideas to buy to help keep the new one safer (besides drive nice cuz let's face it that just won't b happening haha)
Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
Thanks guys I just called him up and I'm lookin just over $1600. What about halfshafts? I'm thinkin of some type of upgrade nothing crazy but something to help with wheelhop aren't the hendricks econo models good for the $? Any other tips or ideas to buy to help keep the new one safer (besides drive nice cuz let's face it that just won't b happening haha)

if you really wanna buy some good parts to help with the diff issues what about the g-force and multiple others that offer axles. they say the one axle being alrger than the opposite side helps greatly with wheelhop which is what mostly breaks the diff from the start. the good axles will run you prolly bout 1500-2k just for axles and the lil extra parts you will need plus a new diff
Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luke has taken care of me every time I've called for tech help or for the best prices. He also won't try to sell you something you don't need.

Quick Reply: rear diff (surprise!)