Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gutted cats... Done it? Heard it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
I had gutted cats on my B&B headers. With a tune, I still passed MA's OBD-II emissions testing and got a 41hp gain along with a CAI and B&B catback...
Nice man! Do you have a clip of that by any chance? Bet it sounds good!

And around here, inspection guys don't even look under your car. They plug into the port under the dash and the computer reads it all. If you have no cats, they would never know as long as your o2 sensors aren't throwing a code. MIL eliminators or a tune can turn those off though...
Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a clip of that and won't for awhile. I've got a bit of bodywork to be done on it before it's roadworthy again...
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I know somebody who ran gutted cats for a bit. They lost 1-2 tenths at the track when they put new factory cats on, even through a 2.5" x-pipe true dual system, and even after driving with the OEM cats for several thousand miles... It was reasonably loud and sounded super nice with the stock manifolds into the gutted cats into a Bassani 2.5" true dual setup. Well, it was reasonable for him anyways and was quieter than other cars with longtubes and highflow cats or no cats at all with longtubes. Some people told him it actually hurt performance but he noticed a significant butt-dyno difference between stock new and gutted. Gutted had less low-end throttle response but pulled harder up top, stock had better low-end throttle response but less pulling power up top. Pretty much what you'd expect.

Last edited by ZexGX; 03-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Gutted cats... Done it? Heard it?