Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010 | 10:56 PM

Default What to do???

Just picked up an '07 cts-v w/ 13k miles. The thing is blacked out, wheels and all (flat black too ). It's got kooks headers high flow cats and a magnaflow cat back. I'm in California however and this thing is loud as hell, and very attractive for cops. First question... Got a good deal on a used B&B catback before I even found the car, which seems to be most everyone's favorite to throw on the v's, but I hear it's the loudest out of all which I don't exactly need. Worth switching them out or should I leave it be? Second... any suggestions on quieting this thing down w/o sacrificing performance? And Thirdly... suggestions on hiding headers from view if I have to pop the hood for any coppers???
Old 03-17-2010 | 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

how about putting some small glasspack mufflers(the round ones) after the X? Shouldnt hurt performance but will help quiet ti down, Corsa is the most quiet down low until you get on it.
Old 03-17-2010 | 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Post pics!! Sounds nice man!

!) Leave it alone. Magnaflow is about as quiet as you're going to get man. Corsa is pretty quiet down low but does get pretty loud up top. Magnaflow is rather tame all around especially with cats. As someone else said your best bet may be to weld in some resonators after the X if it is still too loud or go back to a stock catback as they still flow pretty well from what i've seen people claim on here.

3) Sell me your headers and ill hide them under my hood and send you my stockers to keep you outta trouble. lol

And as far as the B&B... you wanna sell it??
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:29 AM

I'll get some pics up as soon as I get it back (dealership's got it for a full inspection and service). And I guess I am going to sell the B&B which I already got a jump on... I posted it for sale on cadillacforums, and someone offered me $600 plus shipping pending a shipping quote. He's all the way in Michigan so it may be costing a pretty penny to ship. I'm still open to offers if you care to beat it, up to you???
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

The good deals are always sooooo far away.
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:45 AM

What to do???-101_0447.jpg
Old 03-18-2010 | 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by murdered07v
And Thirdly... suggestions on hiding headers from view if I have to pop the hood for any coppers???
I may be misunderstanding your poast, but are headers illegal in California, or does the fact that you have headers create another problem, like testing you for emissions laws? Sounds like you may have to leave Cali soon,,,
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Define loud! Bought my 06 as is and from what I seen it's a bandb touring system with bandb headers. The touring setup has a center resonator instead of an x pipe. It's a nice low toned sound but not "loud" IMO. Besides I'm sure there are lambos and other exotics runnin around Cali that aren't quiet by no means when u open them up.
Old 03-18-2010 | 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by onebadcad
I may be misunderstanding your poast, but are headers illegal in California, or does the fact that you have headers create another problem, like testing you for emissions laws? Sounds like you may have to leave Cali soon,,,
It shouldn't have a problem passing the actual smog test, but as far as a visual goes.... that's another story. You're able to get away with shorty headers but as far as I know long tube headers are illegal in CA. Basically any aftermarkets have to be CARB cert (California-Air-Resources-Board approval) and I guess the longs are not. And leaving Cali.... the weather's too nice!
Old 03-18-2010 | 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by D Block
Define loud! Bought my 06 as is and from what I seen it's a bandb touring system with bandb headers. The touring setup has a center resonator instead of an x pipe. It's a nice low toned sound but not "loud" IMO. Besides I'm sure there are lambos and other exotics runnin around Cali that aren't quiet by no means when u open them up.
Loud to the point where I'm lookin around everytime I get on it! I guess if I take it real easy and shift at low rpms I wouldn't be bothered, but if I were to be downshifting aggressively (for lack of a better word) and a cop was behind or nearby... I think I'd be pulled over for sure. I would imagine your set-up to be pretty loud though. You didn't mention high flow cats or straight pipes so maybe stock cats? and I know the resonator quiets it down a bit to. But I'm 22 years old and I like loud so it's not mild in any way. Beats me?!
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Ah man that sucks to be lookin over ur shoulder everytime u drive because of noise. And u have to excuse my close mindedness. I live in a town where every other vehicle is a 4 wheel drive truck with straight pipes from the cats back no mufflers, my view on loud and yours could be slightly different lol. Having headers, my best swag is goin to be somethin pretty close to stock with the exhaust. And I haven't seen any personally but from pics it looks like some c6 vette frc's may hide the headers a little from view from the top side. But if it gets inspected I'm sure they will see the LT's regardless.
Old 03-18-2010 | 01:23 PM
Launching!

Ya what are all you ca guys gonna do when it's time to smog?

If I have to put stockers back on I'm gonna leave em, I'm not paying to switch em every other yeAr!
Old 03-18-2010 | 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I thought there were carb legal LT's for cali...

Pm sent on the catback...
Old 03-20-2010 | 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jweymar
Ya what are all you ca guys gonna do when it's time to smog?

If I have to put stockers back on I'm gonna leave em, I'm not paying to switch em every other yeAr!
thats why i dont even wana bother with headers. i have straight pipes with an x-pipe and i dont think im going to pass smog. hope i do
Old 03-20-2010 | 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ferny
thats why i dont even wana bother with headers. i have straight pipes with an x-pipe and i dont think im going to pass smog. hope i do
LOL! No cats, resonators or muffs? Just straight pipe with an X all the way out to the tip?

If so... SOUND CLIP PLEASE??? lol
Old 03-20-2010 | 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by murdered07v
Are those resonators under the exhaust wraping?
Old 03-20-2010 | 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

no, i still have my stock cats. that would be wicked loud. like a damn nascar! lol
Old 03-20-2010 | 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

oh ok! lol

So what you have would be the equivalent of my cutting my mag muffs off and using straight pipe in their place. I have stock headers, cats no resonators, an X and then the mag muffs...
Old 03-20-2010 | 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
oh ok! lol

So what you have would be the equivalent of my cutting my mag muffs off and using straight pipe in their place. I have stock headers, cats no resonators, an X and then the mag muffs...
any sound clips.

I'm thinking when i get mine i'll do the same as i did to my 07TBSS.

Cut off the resonator and replace the muffler with 2 magnaflows or borla.

not sure yet...

Any ideas. Don't mean to your thread OP.
Old 03-20-2010 | 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by renzos23
any sound clips.

I'm thinking when i get mine i'll do the same as i did to my 07TBSS.

Cut off the resonator and replace the muffler with 2 magnaflows or borla.

not sure yet...

Any ideas. Don't mean to your thread OP.
I dont but honestly, its really quiet. Magnaflow with cats sounds damn near stock which is why i want to change it up.

Benn considering cutting the cats off and going with either Mac mufflers or Spintechs or leave the cats on and cut the muffs to replace with straight pipe like ferny has his...

Youre local in houston. You can come hear it in person if you want. I promise its nothing impressive right now though... lol