Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ran a Pontiac G8 GXP - Vid inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
Good run JD! I expected more for the G8, but I'm not forgetting that I'd probably never set up a run from a roll in an auto car. Go from a dig and see if you can reel him in. Get it on video too so we can see the difference in how the cars pull. I'm not really worried about the traction issue, I just want to see if the v can still pull once you hook. Cause I'm pretty sure you guys will be pretty even.
I would agree with this! The G8 hooked extremely well from a dig. I bet it will take me 3 gears before I can even it up.

I plan on recording this in the daylight...more to come.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
I would agree with this! The G8 hooked extremely well from a dig. I bet it will take me 3 gears before I can even it up.

I plan on recording this in the daylight...more to come.
I def want to see this!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm in the CTS-v forum, but I did say I wish I could've purchased a new cts-v. No need to hate on us G8's LOL We are all still GM not like I got a ricer...

With that said, I have a full pedders suspension kit sitting at the house waiting to go on. Pete at Pedders pulled over 1.03g's in a G8 with the kit on bridgestone tires. Anything can be made to handle. and still come out much cheaper.

The real deciding factor other than money was I don't really like the rear end on the cts-v's and they are smaller. You guys have a much nicer interior though. G8's I think look better, but have cheaper interiors. The extra room is a bonus on the G8's as well my family doesn't have to argue over leg room in the back.

It was all a compromise anyways if I had my way I would've bought a 06 z06, but 2 kids don't fit well in the trunk LOL
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

Im a V owner and like the gxp g8 better, but the GXP just came out when I bought my V and the G8 was about 15K more...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tempest2000
I know I'm in the CTS-v forum, but I did say I wish I could've purchased a new cts-v. No need to hate on us G8's LOL We are all still GM not like I got a ricer...

With that said, I have a full pedders suspension kit sitting at the house waiting to go on. Pete at Pedders pulled over 1.03g's in a G8 with the kit on bridgestone tires. Anything can be made to handle. and still come out much cheaper.

The real deciding factor other than money was I don't really like the rear end on the cts-v's and they are smaller. You guys have a much nicer interior though. G8's I think look better, but have cheaper interiors. The extra room is a bonus on the G8's as well my family doesn't have to argue over leg room in the back.

It was all a compromise anyways if I had my way I would've bought a 06 z06, but 2 kids don't fit well in the trunk LOL

I'm w/ ya there Tempest! Not sure why some of these guys like to get in pissing matches over which is better. I love the G8's. The V's & G8's are both great cars. Havn't got a chance to drive one yet, but I will.

PS: I would have rather bought a Z too, but the lack of a back seat kinda killed that plan.

Last edited by cobra29svt; 03-24-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: suck @ spelling
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stay away from this GXP:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...-39-122-a.html
Old 03-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by onebadcad
wow a 1.68 60ft

You sure that thing doesnt have a AWD conversion ?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice vid!!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Here is an example, if you just want to drag the cars, the Pontiac will always launch better because in stock form Pontiacs always have ridiculously soft springs/shocks and the rear end squats like nobody's business. At least that is how it is with my buddy's 2006 GTO, his car squats and gets a bunch of traction off the line because of all that weight-transfer.
My 05 A4 GTO squatted big time before a launch, but there is no squat on the G8 GXP. Actually wheel hop has been minimal, however Houston Raceway Park is always pretty well prepped. I would guess that I went there about 5 times with stock Goodyear tires and only had wheel hop a couple of times on one night, however the one and only night I went to Lone Star Raceway Park in Sealy, I had wheel hop on every run.

I launch off idle to about 1000 rpm, traction control off. I would say that bone stock, I am about 30% below 2.000 in the 60' times.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tweeter81
I believe the the two cars would be pretty close if they were both modded with the same parts. The V weighing less would almost always give it an advantage, though.

And it really depends on the mods, and what the car will be used for.

Here is an example, if you just want to drag the cars, the Pontiac will always launch better because in stock form Pontiacs always have ridiculously soft springs/shocks and the rear end squats like nobody's business. At least that is how it is with my buddy's 2006 GTO, his car squats and gets a bunch of traction off the line because of all that weight-transfer. He can get much more traction with all-season 245s in the rear than I can with r-compound 295s. My car doesn't squat at all, but I wanted it that way for superior handling. All other things being equal, the better launch for the G8 GXP might give a better E.T. than the CTS-V with a worse launch, but lower curb weight. This is very close.

But, that same suspension really sucks for handling, braking, or high-speed stability (basically every other aspect of a peformance car). Mod for mod, when it comes to suspension/handling stuff, the Pontiac will never compare to a V, the V has a better/more rigid platform to build on, plain and simple. There is a reason why these heavy sedans have the reputation they do for great handling and stability.

***And I will say it again as I have been preaching a lot lately, with the new aftermarket axle developments that have hit the market that kill the wheelhop, you will hardly ever be hearing about diff failures anymore. Basically the one crutch that our cars had can be eliminated with a pair of $500 half-shafts, which is why I have mine on order as we speak.***
PREACH ON BROTHA! V's are strait BEAST from rolls so w/ sum G-force or Hendrix axles its OVER! And they can handle like a Vette! So get SUM! LOL But on the REAL the G8 GXP's are pretty bad *** but you can get V1 for alot cheaper nowa days.. Plus the V's are way more PIMP!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by onebadcad
I'd only worry if I ran him from a dig. From a roll?? I got it covered
Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Run me ..it will be a good race..I'll set u out two I. Your v and clear u by two also..what u say I only run 11s on motor and xxx on the happy juice..
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Teching In

I'm a slow g8 ..wait till I out the single pt76 we can go from a roll for money anytime
Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
I'd only worry if I ran him from a dig. From a roll?? I got it covered
Yeah, they launch hard. From a roll is different.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cobra29svt
I'm w/ ya there Tempest! Not sure why some of these guys like to get in pissing matches over which is better. I love the G8's. The V's & G8's are both great cars. Havn't got a chance to drive one yet, but I will.

PS: I would have rather bought a Z too, but the lack of a back seat kinda killed that plan.
I don't think any of us are hating on the G8 GXPs, I actually really like those cars, but like almost all stock Pontiacs, I am always a little dissapointed by the "performance" suspension. I have never driven a G8 (so I could be completely wrong on this), but after watching about 10 videos last night on youtube of the G8 launch, on a roadcourse, etc. I can unequivocally tell you that the stock suspension doesn't look very good. The body roll is horrible and from what I saw, the cars really do squat on a hard launch - great for a drag car (But then again, why would you want to make a 4000+ lb sedan into a drag car...), not so great for a handling car. They are still badass cars that look amazing, but in my opinion, will never have the mistique that the CTS-V (V1 or V2) has.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
On the tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I test drove a g8 before i bought my 05 V and hated the auto, and the not so luxurious plastic ***** all over the interior. Major turn off for me was no Navigation option. Other then the rear end in the first Gen V, I think tis a way better platform for mods then the g8. Never will a g8 gt outhandle a V and if it werent for the horrible rear, the V would be hard to beat. From a roll same mods, the V will pull a g8 all day long.
I hate to tell you this but the G8 platform will outhandle the Gen 1 V's all day long stock for stock. The G8 Zeta platform is one of the best handling platforms GM has ever offered.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
g8s are already down 4x hp from the factory at the flywheel plus the extra drivetrain loss from the auto. not to mention factory 2.92 rear gears compared to the V's 3.73's.
There are a couple of things here that are bging confused between the G8 GT and the GXP. The GT is a L76 355hp DOD motor, they are auto only and come with 2.92 rear gears. The GXP is a LS3 415hp motor with no DOD, the auto's come with 3.27 rear gears and the manuals come with 3.70's rear gears. The GXP is the better match for the V based on numbers.

It is a very good run, but kind of lop sided in the fact that the OP is putting out almost 40rwhp more than the GXP. I raced a 2005ish CTS-V right after I got my GXP and with the only mod being transmission tunning I did myself. We ran from a 55mph roll and I pulled on him just like the OP did this GXP in the video.

40mph is a really bad spot for a roll race in the GXP as the A6 auto first gear winds out at 28mph and 40mph puts the auto in the low end of second at about 2400rpms.

Good run, both cars are very formidable and great platforms. The CTS-V is a very refined car, the GXP is a high horsepower brute with great handling, great brakes, awesome motor and is not setup as a refined car but as a high performance sedan at the end of the day.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
It is a very good run, but kind of lop sided in the fact that the OP is putting out almost 40rwhp more than the GXP. I raced a 2005ish CTS-V right after I got my GXP and with the only mod being transmission tunning I did myself. We ran from a 55mph roll and I pulled on him just like the OP did this GXP in the video.

40mph is a really bad spot for a roll race in the GXP as the A6 auto first gear winds out at 28mph and 40mph puts the auto in the low end of second at about 2400rpms.
Just to be very clear my original post was not to say the CTS-V1 is a faster car than the GXP, stock for stock or that the CTS V is a better car. I had the advantage with mods and was simply showing the outcome. I really like the GXP but would never choose it over my V...just my opinion.

That said we raced from 20, 40, 45, 50, 55mph and the GXP never won. Not only that I let him hit it first every race, no honking just like the video. I pulled after 3rd gear every time.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't like the red guage/instrument lighting on the pontiacs. to me, thats just plain hideous! but i do like the G8's, they are sweet!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the G8 is ugly as hell...interior and exterior. Plus it's a Pontiac...does that brand even exist anymore? Figures...
Old 03-25-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

**** so many haters in here.

Ultimately the big picture goes like this.

A Pontiac G8 is not a CTS-V.

A Cadillac CTS-V is not a G8.

They are two entirely different cars.

If you want to start comparing cars on the same time line, pick cars that where both produced during the same production cycles. If you're still bickering about which is faster, than you need to go to the import forums.

This guy posted a vid of his run, if you want to state your opinion. Post a vid.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Ran a Pontiac G8 GXP - Vid inside