Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deedubb
I used this: http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/a...tch/index.html

Note, I don't have XM service.

Best part is, It cost me like $7 with parts from Radio Shack.
I did this for my droid and it works great. I soldered the wires and it only took 30 minutes to install.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I think ill go that route. If the quality is better by cutting the wires, id rather do that and just hook them back up later if needed.

Anyone else have any issues with quality when you just soldered them together?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by egypt123
Ok, went down at lunch and took photos.

Photo1 - Portrait mode (funky camera angle makes the device look crooked, but it's perfectly straight in person).
Photo 2 - Landscape mode. Yes, that my home DishTV feed streaming to my iPhone using a TV tuner card and an IRBlaster in my home PC and the Orb iPhone app.
Photo 3 - Landscape mode passenger view.
Photo 4 - Portrait mode passenger view, which shows the Velcro I used to secure it. I need to trim the Velcro some.

This does get in the way a bit of the passenger side A/C controls, but not so bad you can't get to them. Another disadvantage is it blocks access to the CD player (no big deal to me since I listen to the tunes on my iPhone) and you can't close the ashtray compartment. Again, no big deal to me since having the functionality of tunes, charging, and phone being available far out weigh closing the bin for me.
I like that. My only fear is the quality not being as good as id like. Ive had bad luck with fm transmitters...
Old 04-09-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I like that. My only fear is the quality not being as good as id like. Ive had bad luck with fm transmitters...
It's certainly not perfect, but it's ok for my tastes. I figured for $20 it can't for hurt to try it. I just got tired of having a cable plugged into the audio, a cable for the power, and then fumbling around for the phone whenever I wanted to change music, etc...

Actually, before I got the FM transmitter device, I was thinking about tapping in a USB power outlet to the front power connection and then using an Apple composite cable and tapping the Apple audio connections into my current XM audio feed. This way it would be one cable that would provide audio and power to/from the iPhone.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yay! I just got mine today and I like it!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by egypt123
You can jailbreak the iPhone 3GS if it has firmware version 3.1.2 or below. There is currently no GOOD jailbreak for 3.1.3 (don't believe what you read that it is possible, it's not - currently. At least until the DevTeam comes out with one). If you bought your iPhone or had it replaced within the last few months, it's highly likely you got one with the new bootloader which makes it virtually impossible to jailbreak (at this time). So;

iPhone 3G/3GS with firmware 3.1.2 = Yes
iPhone 3G/3GS with firmware 3.1.3 = No

Clarification: When I say it's not possible to jailbreak 3.1.3 or the new bootloader, it is, but it's a tethered jailbreak. This means you need to re-jailbreak it every time the phones reboots, which is a MAJOR PIA! The phone will boot into DFU mode and will not work until you re-jailbreak it. If your phone reboots or you need to restart it when your away from a computer (to re-jailbreak it), you're screwed. If you have 3.1.3 DO NOT jailbreak it! If you're on 3.1.2, stay there, do not upgrade to 3.1.3!!

As for hooking up my iPhone to the stereo, I did the hardwire XM routine at first and it works just fine. However, I recently bought the device in the picture below on fleabay for $20 and it works great! I know people don't like the FM transmitter, but this has one of the best transmitters I've ever heard and I do not hear any difference from this to the hardwire connection (no static, sound quality is just as good). In addition, it holds my phone, gives me great access to use my hands to select the music. or make/answer calls etc., charges the phone, and even works through my stereo when I get a call. I have to turn down the car stereo volume a bit so the caller doesn't get echo, but if I do that, it works just fine.

The thing did want to fall to the side due to the weight of the phone, but I fixed that with a small piece of velcro taped on the back of the device stalk and the other piece on my console. It's secure and doesn't get in the way at all of the A/C controls, etc. If anyone wants, I can take a picture of what it looks like in the car. Saved me a bunch of hassle and I didn't need to buy a Bluetooth solution (I just can't justify spending $250 on a Bluetooth solution for the amount of calls I do in the car).
Your right about 3.1.3 not being able to be jailbroken, but the firmware has nothing to do with the tethering. Thats in the serial number. I forgot which ones require tethering, but its all after a specific serial. Mine was 3.0 when I bought it (32gig 3GS) and I had to do a tethered jailbreak. Its not that bad though. I think in 6 months the battery has only died maybe twice and I've only had to reboot it about a half a dozen times for something other than installing stuff, which I would only do with a computer beside me anyway.
As for jailbreaking, BlackRa1n is the BEST. Hook it up, click, and its done...

Quick Reply: Official iPhone thread for V owners and anyone else with good info!!!