Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Yea I get that. And I actually used it in the past. But I'm not really sure about the recall stuff. I was hoping they would have the parts before I installed my cam, but its looking like they won't. Oh well.
Just a heads up, my dealer said my 05 has 3 recalls. The key thingy, the fuel pump and something obdii related. Hopefully it's not a reflash (I didn't bother with details yet) but you might want to check before you get a tune. It would be a shame for them to overwrite it with a reflash.

It's not listed on Cadillacs website for my vin so it may be a false alarm but worth noting IMO.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isis
Just a heads up, my dealer said my 05 has 3 recalls. The key thingy, the fuel pump and something obdii related. Hopefully it's not a reflash (I didn't bother with details yet) but you might want to check before you get a tune. It would be a shame for them to overwrite it with a reflash.

It's not listed on Cadillacs website for my vin so it may be a false alarm but worth noting IMO.
I have HPtuners so I can just reflash over whatever they decide what needs to be on there. Thanks for the heads up though. I think I'm going to wait on the cam until after the fuel pump recall. I don't want to get it installed and then find out the pump can get enough fuel in there.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have HPtuners so I can just reflash over whatever they decide what needs to be on there. Thanks for the heads up though. I think I'm going to wait on the cam until after the fuel pump recall. I don't want to get it installed and then find out the pump can get enough fuel in there.
Did you mean can't? Also, the fuel pump module recall has nothing to do with performance. The fuel pumps themselves flow just fine. The harness burns up and it has no correlation with how hard you are pushing the pump. Unless that's not what you meant, then carry on.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez

Did you mean can't? Also, the fuel pump module recall has nothing to do with performance. The fuel pumps themselves flow just fine. The harness burns up and it has no correlation with how hard you are pushing the pump. Unless that's not what you meant, then carry on.
You mean about the tune? I can write over whatever they want to put on my computer. I don't care if they load a stock tune or not, it only takes a few seconds.

The issue is, when the car is cold, I have an issue where it feels like the fuel cuts out if I let off the pedal for a sec, the whole car bucks real bad. A lot worse than the standard parade clunk. It hasn't done it when its hot yet. I don't want to get the cam in there, have to run more fuel, then have the issue get worse.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is, when the car is cold, I have an issue where it feels like the fuel cuts out if I let off the pedal for a sec,
Check your DFCO in the tune. It sounds like it is coming in when you don't want it to or it is too aggressive for you. The cold weather may be causing errors in the cylinder airmass estimation. If so, there are other things to fix as well. This would most likely show up if you are running in SD (or SD is active when this happens in a blended tune).
Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have it too. I was concerned that I might have to burn 2 more credits if they change something in the ecu that identifies it? Like hptuners won't recognize that it's the same car?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sssnake

Check your DFCO in the tune. It sounds like it is coming in when you don't want it to or it is too aggressive for you. The cold weather may be causing errors in the cylinder airmass estimation. If so, there are other things to fix as well. This would most likely show up if you are running in SD (or SD is active when this happens in a blended tune).
I'm not tuned right now its stock still.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by isis
I have it too. I was concerned that I might have to burn 2 more credits if they change something in the ecu that identifies it? Like hptuners won't recognize that it's the same car?
They'd have to change the vin... And even then I believe you can just go in the VATS and change it in the tune to match it. I doubt they would do any tuning updates to a 10 year old car (in my case)

The recall includes the pump right? Their explanation on the web says fuel pump "module"... That should include the whole bucket and fuel pump etc etc right?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Understood but are you completely unmodified? If not, your cylinder airmass estimate provided by the SD portion of the stock tune could be off. The Cyl Air enable disable for DFCO is pretty small so a small error could cause the issue. Even if you only have a small leak in the intake this could cause the DFCO to enable incorrectly.

Either way I would set up my scanner so that the status bit for DFCO is logged so that you can rule it out. It is just too easy to ignore and could save you a lot of hassle.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sssnake

Understood but are you completely unmodified? If not, your cylinder airmass estimate provided by the SD portion of the stock tune could be off. The Cyl Air enable disable for DFCO is pretty small so a small error could cause the issue. Even if you only have a small leak in the intake this could cause the DFCO to enable incorrectly.

Either way I would set up my scanner so that the status bit for DFCO is logged so that you can rule it out. It is just too easy to ignore and could save you a lot of hassle.
I got headers, but that's it. It doesn't do it all the time. Its usually just one big thump, and then its all normal after, and its usually normal before. I dunno what it is. But other than the one time after every startup, its normal. And "cold" weather is all relative. I'm in Southern California. Cold here is 50°
Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Well this is just lovely :/ I got a recall letter on my 04 V and I have 149k miles on it. Looks like I will just cut the "door" install a new Walbro 450 e85 pump with new connectors and a hot wire kit. No way am I going to worry about this issue with my little girl in the car.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring back this thread... What do you guys think the chances are of GM / dealer actually performing this recall later down the road? It sounds like they are blowing it off. I'm getting the same B.S and they wont replace my fuel pump assembly.

Should i hang in there for a bit? Or do we need to actually talk to some bean counters at the NHTSA. This is total crap that GM can actually get away with letting people drive with leaking fuel tanks and melting fuel pumps...
Old 12-31-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you figure in the time to do this repair without cutting a trap door then multiply that by the shop rate and then on to the cars effected you start talking big money even for GM. This is why I am skeptical it will ever get resolved. My suggestion is to purchase the connector I linked earlier and do it yourself.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

My 2nd letter came in the mail today, Recall is a go, parts are available. Estimated time for completion is 2.5hrs - 4hrs 50min. Torn between getting in early or waiting to see how it goes for someone else first.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
My 2nd letter came in the mail today, Recall is a go, parts are available. Estimated time for completion is 2.5hrs - 4hrs 50min. Torn between getting in early or waiting to see how it goes for someone else first.
Got my second letter today also. With that time allowed do you think they are dropping the tank or just cutting a hole in the floor. I'm gonna stop in my local caddy dealer and ask a bunch of questions. Plus I don't need some jackass drivin my car around and tearing it up. Maybe they just give us the kit and I'll put it in myself and they can pay me to do it.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
With that time allowed do you think they are dropping the tank or just cutting a hole in the floor.
Dunno, but per Darkman on CF:
"The standard flat rate allowance for changing the fuel pump is 4.6 hours. The dealer's labor allowance for warranty replacement is 3.0 hours. Labor rates, of course, vary by area. The fuel pump (part number 21997423) has a MSRP of $493.65."
Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Hopefully someone will go and post about it. I haven't received any notification yet.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Got my letter as well, Half tempted to just go get the parts and do it my self. Not sure if I want some tech touching my CF drive shaft.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
Got my second letter today also. With that time allowed do you think they are dropping the tank or just cutting a hole in the floor. I'm gonna stop in my local caddy dealer and ask a bunch of questions. Plus I don't need some jackass drivin my car around and tearing it up. Maybe they just give us the kit and I'll put it in myself and they can pay me to do it.
I don't see GM telling their techs to cut a hole in the floor for 2 reasons...

First, the liability associated with fuel leaking into the passenger compartment during a roll over event, two, its not an easy cut and they for sure would be buying a few gas tanks.

That being said, I would bet the recall procedure doesn't tell the mechanic they can't cut a hole in the floor so I would bet some mechanics will. If they do so they will be personally accepting any liabilities associated with doing so because GM specified how they want it done.

After spending 5 years in a GM dealership turning wrenches and writing service, scheduling work and writing warranty, this is how I see this repair going....

The service writer will give the job to their least experienced tech because it requires no diagnosis and it will keep them busy. The tech will try hard to meet the time constraint but won't ever really get there so what they will do is cut corners by not torquing fasteners and doing generally sloppy hurry up work...but it won't really matter to most people because their cars are 10 years old and they'll never know the difference because they aren't pushing their cars anyway.

Based on that, this is my plan of attack...

Wait until the fuel pump fails. I already have an inspection hole in my floor that I cut before this recall was announced so I could inspect the harness. If my fuel pump fails, I'll take the rear seat out, take it to the dealership and invite the tech to put the fuel pump in thorough the top.

I also have a friend of a friend working at a caddy dealer and I may try to take him a junkyard fuel bucket and simply swap the parts out for future use but until mine fails, I'm not touching it.

Disclaimer...this by means is to be considered advice just my perspective. What works for me shouldn't influence your actions regarding this potentially dangerous flaw.

Last edited by ls1247; 03-17-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

The dealer did mine last spring. They dropped the rear cradle to get to the gas tank. It was a 4 hrs job as stated in the letter. No hole cutting.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!