Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Modified my linkage and my shifter.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010 | 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Modified my linkage and my shifter.

So as many know you cant realy go too short with the shifter because of the linakge being very close to the driveshaft coupler.

Well check out how I modified my linakge, I dont have a picture of the stocker but for those that have seen our stock linkage in person youll see what I did. I also angled the end of the linkage more to make up for the differance from the short shifter . Keeps things smooth that way.

I also extented the bottom part of my shifter to shorten the throw, After installing I still had about 5/8 of a inch clearance to the drivesaft But I decided not to mess with it anymore and push my luck.

Also to get rid of some of the sloppy shifter feel I added a thin 1/8" rubber gasket to the top part of the fulcrum cover. I noticed that area had alot of play plus my dust boot is shoot.

The shifter still isnt crazy shot as I hoped, But its very smooth and 98% of the sloppiness is gone.

PICS: (sorry for the phone quality)

Old 06-12-2010 | 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice, i wish i had the energy to mess with my car. I ve had hotckis sways in the box in the basement for over 4 months now lol. just tired of wrenching for now. saving the energy for a clutch when its time haha.

is the shifter notchier now, my b&m is no where near as notchy as my brothers cobra and i love his.
Old 06-12-2010 | 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Nice, i wish i had the energy to mess with my car. I ve had hotckis sways in the box in the basement for over 4 months now lol. just tired of wrenching for now. saving the energy for a clutch when its time haha.

is the shifter notchier now, my b&m is no where near as notchy as my brothers cobra and i love his.
its not notchy, But after adding the rubber bushing its alot tighter. Realy nice. feels alot more sporty.

Im running out of energy to, I just did this mod when I had the trans out as I did the clutch. Just never shared it till now.
Old 06-12-2010 | 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good max. I may have to start modding again lol
Old 06-14-2010 | 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maxspeed, hows the side to side play, especially while in gear? how is the end mounted opposite of the handle bolt? a bushing?

i have a b&m and it seems to have more play than i remember..everything seems snug on the base. when in gear it has a ton of side to side play, id say at least an inch or two. i think my linkage bolt is as tight as it gets but maybe not.. i didnt want to overtighten it. this is the pivot of the play but not the only cause. that long black piece geometrically guarantees that it will always have some play..

something like an arm with a bushing mounted on the frame that held he linkage in place softly but still allowed necessary movement would be nice, or a two piece design that pivoted on the frame with some sort of track...

i have access to a lift on the weekends now...all i need now is time, energy, a plasma cutter, a welder...and some aflac insurance
Old 06-15-2010 | 05:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
maxspeed, hows the side to side play, especially while in gear? how is the end mounted opposite of the handle bolt? a bushing?

i have a b&m and it seems to have more play than i remember..everything seems snug on the base. when in gear it has a ton of side to side play, id say at least an inch or two. i think my linkage bolt is as tight as it gets but maybe not.. i didnt want to overtighten it. this is the pivot of the play but not the only cause. that long black piece geometrically guarantees that it will always have some play..

something like an arm with a bushing mounted on the frame that held he linkage in place softly but still allowed necessary movement would be nice, or a two piece design that pivoted on the frame with some sort of track...

i have access to a lift on the weekends now...all i need now is time, energy, a plasma cutter, a welder...and some aflac insurance

I still have some play, always will since we have linakge and not a shifter right out the trans. But it was bad before, Now its minimal. Try installing the rubber gasket like I did . That keeps at least that part tight.
I also have uuc bushings that I installed a long time ago.

Quick Reply: Modified my linkage and my shifter.