Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cam install........PITA OMG!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big of a cam did you get if you worried about piston clearance. Because 243 heads have hella room...

good luck with the bolt BTW

Last edited by maxspeed05V; 07-13-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not sure why you are having so much trouble. I did my cam swap in my driveway by myself. I had the cam out in one evening after work in 1.5 hrs tops and back together with springs and all in another 3 hrs the next day. It was much easier then a f-body in my opinion. I did not do headers or motor mounts though.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya, you guys I understand def what your all saying, this should be a simple thing to do, and not really any big deal.....unfortunately with me, I can't do anything to a car without something stupid happening and requiring a **** tons more work done because of it......me and my friends are doing this...where as my last project was a 2006 STI, and because of shotty mechanic work, and just the most unlikely things to happen took a year and a half to complete. I just kind of expect everything to go wrong with my stuff....which is why I ended up deciding to just pull the motor and make sure everything was done with no issues at all........like when it was in the car, and trying to pull the cam out, the last part didn't come out, and was starting to show a hair on the bearing so at that point, I was just like screw it, were pulling it out.

Also we did try the pen magnets on the bolts, just wasn't able to find it lol.

I wasn't able to work on it at all today, so tomorrow me and my friend are going to get together and work on getting a majority of the engine back together.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ I hear ya it's always something.....and IMO sometimes waiting an extra couple weeks to pay to have something done isnt such a bad idea. I've done everything on my car except the cam because I didnt have a clue and if I messed anything up itd be the most costly mistake out of all the parts ive put on. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I think some people are afraid to tear into the motor so they spend more time debating on what to remove than actually performing the mod. It's bolts people. Bolts and gaskets. Just take it off. Empty the rad. And remove it. Pull the water pump, alt bracket bolts, and power steering bracket. Hang it to the side and remove timing cover.

I pulled my heads to have them worked over by a machine shop, so my intake and such were removed. I didn't spend more than 8 hours on tear down and re-assembly and I was by myself.

The one thing I learned from my dad was the most important to me... You will get from your tools the amount you pay for them. Pep boy pullers and wal mart sockets will only cause you problems.

LS cam swap is an LS cam swap.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I understand what your saying completely, and I dont cheap out on my tools, most of mine are craftsmen, and been getting a little bit of gearwrench recently (like them a lot more than the craftsmen), but it always seems like **** goes wrong with me lol....anyways we got the motor back together, and will be putting it in prob on sunday/monday to get everything finished up....

here is a pic I took, after I cleaned up the block a little

Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have loved to take out the pistons and crank, and clean that **** out. If I was in this position I would do a forged
Old 07-17-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Lower compression pistons too, for the boost to come later
Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

now is the time to take out a loanh or call VISA because you couldnt be in a better spot to build that motor. Your really wasting money if you dont lol.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
now is the time to take out a loanh or call VISA because you couldnt be in a better spot to build that motor. Your really wasting money if you dont lol.
trust me, I def understand that, and I wish I had the cash to do it....just dont right now, I did the whole VISA thing on my STI.....originally it was just going to be GT35R kit, and cams....than, well the heads are off, might as well do pistons and rods, well the block is torn apart might as well as sleeve it, well the heads are off, might as well as port and polish them, etc etc, till I had a fully built STI, and a credit card to pay off lol. Dont want to do that again
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

I can understand that. You should talk to the bank and see what kind of a deal they can cut you for interest on a personal loan; even at 10% interest it might be worth it over having to tear everything apart again next time you have the funds and the itch for more power.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldnt do any loans on mods either , **** that.

Myabe port the heads you have thats about it.

So how was pulling the motor compared to a f-body?

Did you drop it with the crossmember or disconnect it from the trans and pull up ?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ITSAV
trust me, I def understand that, and I wish I had the cash to do it....just dont right now, I did the whole VISA thing on my STI.....originally it was just going to be GT35R kit, and cams....than, well the heads are off, might as well do pistons and rods, well the block is torn apart might as well as sleeve it, well the heads are off, might as well as port and polish them, etc etc, till I had a fully built STI, and a credit card to pay off lol. Dont want to do that again
I feel ya it's like a where do I start and where to stop issue....every time we tore into my buddies EVO8 someone would say "if you're that far in you might as well......." and the list went on. I've only done a very limited amount of mods to my DD V and it's def an itch that's hard to scratch enough....good luck with all.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
I wouldnt do any loans on mods either , **** that.

Myabe port the heads you have thats about it.

So how was pulling the motor compared to a f-body?

Did you drop it with the crossmember or disconnect it from the trans and pull up ?
pulling it wasn't too bad, the main problem we had was actually getting it off the belhousing....they seperated perfectly fine all around it, but we just couldnt get the disconnect for the center, spent a lot of time on that....other than that, we lowered the cross-member, just let out the bolts a little basically, other than that, if pulled right out.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Damn it only took me and a friend 8 hours and a 30 pack for a complete heads and cam swap on mine.. good luck to ya
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, was working on reassembling the motor tonight, and we were doing a short throw shifter install as well. we basically ended up just dropping the tranny, and were going to mount it to the motor before we put them in, so that should save us a lot of trouble.

I'm not going to lie, whoever designed this shifter setup is crazy, I have never seen where you actually have to get the shifter from the bottom....which in the end is what made us decide to just pull the tranny out, as the motor was already out, and disconnecting the drive shaft, unhooked the tranny, just had to unhook the wired and it was done lol....planning on dropping the tranny and motor in tomorrow night, and than start her up...I am ready to get this back on the road (my beater car's a/c compressor went out today too, so now I am really ready lol)

here is a couple phone pics

Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

just realized I didnt take any pics of the motor fully assembled lol
Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

This is HILARIOUS! I've never seen such extensive disassembly of a car just to allow the installation of these parts.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjwz28
This is HILARIOUS! I've never seen such extensive disassembly of a car just to allow the installation of these parts.
lol, this **** just always seems to happen with me.....however, I dont really mind it all that much, the thing that sucks is not being able to drive it, but damn I am learning caddi, did a lot of things differently that most other LS based cars.....we were originally planning to have this all done in like 8 hours....but with everything pulled like this, I have basically cleaned most of the motor, and everything....so it should be running pretty damn good when we finish her up tonight...
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah at least everything nobody sees will be really shiny

Quick Reply: Cam install........PITA OMG!!