Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Omega Thermistor to help fight heatsoak/IAT readings

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Omega Thermistor to help fight heatsoak/IAT readings

i have seen a few threads on different forums, mainly GTO ones about this. Read a little on teh caddy forums and it seems like a great mod, especially for the maggied cars. Who here has done this? Any consensus on how much of the cage to remove?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this mod? any more details??
Old 08-04-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I started this mod, but after cutting the cage out and soldering in the new thermistor I was uncomfortable installing it in the maggie because it looked like it could fall right out and run through the engine.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Launching!

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10279 write-up
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...up-your-6.html some photos showing the inside of the s/c with the sensor installed
510, so it wasn't snug after reinstalling the thermistor? i read it is much smaller, so do you think leaving the full cage would keep it from possible coming out?
i plan on doing this as soon as i get the parts, it seems very beneficial yet i don't see many posts on it
Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I was a little part of that thread. It wasn't that the housing wasn't snug...it is the thickness of the wires coming from the thermistor that made me uncomfortable. They are damn near the thickness of a human hair and after soldering and working with them, it felt like they could bend and break with the turbulence of the air in the maggie lower manifold. I wasn't quite comfortable enough sticking that thing down into my maggie.

Last edited by CTSV_510; 08-04-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Launching!

ok, that makes sense, anyone else take the risk? results?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Just add meth...
Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Yeah I was a little part of that thread. It wasn't that the housing wasn't snug...it is the thickness of the wires coming from the thermistor that made me uncomfortable. They are damn near the thickness of a human hair and after soldering and working with them, it felt like they could bend and break with the turbulence of the air in the maggie lower manifold. I wasn't quite comfortable enough sticking that thing down into my maggie.
It looks like two separate deals: A remote mount of the sensor and a replacement of the resistor/thermistor. Were you planning on mounting yours inside the intake tract? I'd assume post boost. It would probably be good anywhere near the air cleaner in a NA set-up.

What is the difference in the sensor. I know a thermistor is a backwards resistor (resistance goes down as temperature goes up). Does it read the intake air as cooler than it actually is, or is it just faster reading than the OE sensor? Is the OE sensor a thermistor or a resistor?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maggies have a spot in them post rotors where the IAT sensor goes to get the most accurate reading of intake air temps.

The omega sensors read faster than the stock one so it is more accurate to show temperature changes.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Launching!

well i'm not saying meth isn't a good option, but this mod would allow you to get faster more accurate readings, so no one has tried this? the GTO uses the adapter harness but we only need to do the sensor modification as we would not need to relocate the IAT
Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

I have the sensor sitting on my workbench, in the "to do" pile. Would I need to tweak the tune after installing it?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Launching!

i wouldn't think so as it would just give you more accurate readings, not affect your current tune, but since i haven't done it yet i can't say
Old 08-06-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wmskateteam
i wouldn't think so as it would just give you more accurate readings, not affect your current tune, but since i haven't done it yet i can't say
I was thinking along the same lines.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Teching In

It won't fight heat soak, just provide another temp monitoring point. Maybe useful in tuning the car to the edge a bit more.

The factory LSJ motors in the cobalt has a MAP/Temp sensor. It's kinda fun to watch, sit in traffic temp goes up, get on the gas lightly temp goes down. Do a couple hard pulls to 100+ mph temp goes up.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I did it and cut the cage. I guess it's about a year now with no problems. Temps change as soon as you give it gas. The stocker would barely budge.
Now this is just a thought. But my temps are a bit cooler now. Either the stock senor itself suffered from heat soak, or more likely, the hot air got stuck in the sensor, showing higher temps. The stock sensor has the thermistor in the housing, under the cage. Since the open part (cage) is facing down, I believe it could form a pocket of hot air giving off a false reading. I cut the cage, and made the new thermistor longer so it's in the airflow.
I rarely see my IAT get to the 140s. This is only if I'm in traffic. Then as soon I start moving, and the car is sucking in more air, the temp drops 15* in less than 5 seconds. It'll keep dropping if I can sustain highway speeds. This is all in the summer time.

Cheap, easy mod. I highly recommend it. Although at first, I was also worried about the damn thing falling off.

Tony

PS as for meth, I'm a big fan. But it won't do much with a Maggie if your just cruising around.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Where are you guys getting this Omega Thermistor part# 44005???

So far I've tried autozone, O'reillys, and the stealership. Trying to get this done tonight or tomorrow before I head out to SNL for the cam and tune. HELP PLEASE. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nlpy8b
Where are you guys getting this Omega Thermistor part# 44005???

So far I've tried autozone, O'reillys, and the stealership. Trying to get this done tonight or tomorrow before I head out to SNL for the cam and tune. HELP PLEASE. Thanks.
Don't think you can source it locally.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/44000_THERMIS_ELEMENTS.html

Just do it when you get your car back. It won't change any of the tune but rather make it more responsive. I.E. you do a hard run and the IAT's get into the 140's and thus pull timing and power. With the stock thermosister you will hold that temp longer than you will with the Omega thermosister.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
Don't think you can source it locally.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/44000_THERMIS_ELEMENTS.html

Just do it when you get your car back. It won't change any of the tune but rather make it more responsive. I.E. you do a hard run and the IAT's get into the 140's and thus pull timing and power. With the stock thermosister you will hold that temp longer than you will with the Omega thermosister.

I don't know much of anything about tuning, but I guess I was figuring that if the stock unit took longer to get the temps to drop...then the tuner would pull more timing and tune more conservatively than if the sensors indicated cooler temps right??
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nlpy8b
I don't know much of anything about tuning, but I guess I was figuring that if the stock unit took longer to get the temps to drop...then the tuner would pull more timing and tune more conservatively than if the sensors indicated cooler temps right??
Nah if he is worth anything he will allow things to cool down AND temporarily raise up the safety measures that come in when the IAT's get to high. (Pulled timing, extra fuel).
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the chance to do this to my car and the difference is minimal. iats sit right where they did before and change slightly faster.. but nothing real crazy about this mod.. it did give me something to do since were buried in 3ft of snow ;(

Quick Reply: Omega Thermistor to help fight heatsoak/IAT readings