Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clear Bra

Anybody have one of these on their V or any other vehicle? I am thinking about getting one, but am surprised how much $$ it will be and considering if it'll be worth it. Fortunately, the front end does not have chips to speak of and it would be nice to keep it that way. I would more than likely do the bumper/fascia, front part of hood, headlights and front of mirrors. I've been quoted $525-to over $700, wtf?!? From my understanding, you can get a kit for ~$120-150, so that must be a lot of labor!

With that said, do they typically prep the area for you and clean up the headlights? Mine are in decent shape, except the top part, in which I started cleaning up.

I am a DIY'er type of person, but when it comes to this vinyl stuff, I am a little weary about being able to prep it good enough and apply perfectly...the first time, lol.

So, if you have one, would like to hear your thoughts, experiences, pitfalls, whatever...If anybody in the LA-socal area has a good place, would like to know.

Thanks!

John R.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it on my 2004 G35 and my 2007 TBSS.

Liked it on both and on the TBSS it was on the rocker panels which were notorious for rock chips and after a year I had zero.

Both of mine were professionaly installed and I think that would be the way I would go.

Engine I will work on - anything with paint I tend to let the pros handle it.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

I bought a 3M kit off a forum member, and installation cost me $250 at a local Cadillac dealer. The installer said the 3M was stiffer than what he sold, forgot the name, but research indicated it was soft and more prone to suffering from the elements. Just some quick research indicated the 3M bra is the strongest, resists abrasion and chemicals better than the softer, easier to install kits. I thought about installing the kit myself, then realized I would have either done a poor job or destroyed the kit. I strongly recommend having it professionally installed. I am glad I did it, since I was constantly touching up the nicks on the nose of the car.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, guys...sounds like you're happy with it and yeah, was going to go for 3M, as everything they make seems to be gold seriously though, I can't think of a product they make that is not good or amongst the best in that line.

Now it's just a matter of justifying the $$$ and finding a local shop, although most seem to be in garages and stuff (no-low overhead)

Quick Reply: Clear Bra