Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HPTuners or SCT

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HPTuners or SCT

I'm not sure if SCT even makes something for 06-07 V's or even the details of the HPTuners, but am in the market for a handheld tuner. My friend was telling me about HPTuners yesterday and it sounded like what I'm looking for, and was similar to what I read about the SCT units, also.

Basically, what I want is something that can store custom tunes, keep the oem one and also manipulate items within the program; such as torque management parameters, etc...I know ultimately I'll have to take it to a competent tuner (dyno), but do they have a baseline 'vanilla' performance program built in, for the interim?

Anyhow, wondering which one offers the most flexibility/best price/support, etc. and any input on users of these devices on our V's.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HP Tuners or EFI Live.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I haven't done much research on the SCT, but have been looking at HP Tuners and wow, looks like what I'm looking for! I'll look into that EFI Live, also, though.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW - is there a best place to buy these, or is it one of those "fixed" price things? For instance, I see it for $499 all over the place, but would somebody be selling it for $469, for example, or throw 'extras' into the deal?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The price is fixed. You can often find them used with credits remaining (I got my MVPI Pro for $300 with 6 credits left) or you can often find them at the list price with free shipping. If you are planning on getting into the tuning hobby and not just using this to flash back and forth with someone elses tune for your car I would HIGHLY recommend getting the pro version so that you can log a wideband without having to run it through the EGR pin on the ECU.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, so that's the main difference between the Pro and 'regular' version of the suite. Hmm, wideband would be nice and sounds like you can't add a module or anything down the road to the regular one to have this feature? It's $150 more, but yeah it's hard to justify, as I honestly don't know just how much I'll really tune it...WB O2's are great source of info on datalog though!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use HP tuners for all my tuning. It takes a good skill level to get up to speed. whichever program you choose, you need a wideband are you wont know the effects of the changes
Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks...Yeah, I figure there'll certainly be a learning curve...I got some exposure with my VR-4 (galant), but that is turbo and different animal...

I am curious though, since this has dual exhaust...which one do you put the Wideband on, or does it have two inputs (i.e. one wibeband on either exhaust tube)?

Quick Reply: HPTuners or SCT