Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How many people are running a procharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

procharger>vortech.....just my opinion. i bet all said and done youd be pretty deep in with money. What would be the benefit over a procharger?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Back at Exotic Performance Plus we started with the ProCharger GTO system when we came out with out CTS-V system. Here is the first one we did. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=33

We ended up doing maybe ten or so of the V's with ProChargers. Below are two more of them, with my favorite being the last one.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=38
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29

For those questioning what a stock block can handle, check this Corvette out.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=59

Note that I am not doing ProCharger systems on the CTS-V's, that was something we did at the old shop. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bob,
thanks for the tease!!! can you refer us to anyone that does this transplant?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Good discussion here, I've always loved discussions about boosting and tinkered with boosted engines for most of my life, here's my 1/2 cent.

Centrifugal SCs always drop big HP numbers and are fairly easy on the engine because of the way that they make boost - squared with speed. In other words, they don't make much of any boost for most of the RPM range with quick climb right at the very end of the RPM range which results in great bragging numbers for all the dyno racers out there. They can work pretty well in drag racing with a loose converter that keeps the engine RPM fairly constant (and high) during a pass. Centrifugal SCs have good boost response, but only to the boost level that they can deliver at a particular RPM.

Turbos can make the highest power levels across a reasonable operating range but suffer from response and packaging - especially in aftermarket bolt-on type applications. Biggest benefit from a turbo is the ability to use some of the exhaust heat for drive instead of a belt freeing up a couple extra ponies. The important aspect here is heat - it is the free part, if you can't keep the temp up from the engine to the turbine, then a turbo can quickly become less efficient to drive then a belt driven SC.

Positive displacement SCs offer the best boost response and a nearly flat boost curve across the engine operating range. While this is not the ideal curve if you're looking for bragging rights, it's normally the most fun to drive and fastest. For most people, the Maggies deliver reasonable performance with a very conservative tune - on a 6L engine up to about 500 RWHP the M112 SC is a good match. To go beyond that a bigger and more efficient blower like the TVS is a big help. Corvette ZR1s will lay down nearly 700RWHP with not much more than pulleys, updated SC intake, and tune, the only question is will an R2300 TVS fit on the Maggie manifold and can your CTSV rear handle it…
Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by toohighpsi
Good discussion here, I've always loved discussions about boosting and tinkered with boosted engines for most of my life, here's my 1/2 cent.

Centrifugal SCs always drop big HP numbers and are fairly easy on the engine because of the way that they make boost - squared with speed. In other words, they don't make much of any boost for most of the RPM range with quick climb right at the very end of the RPM range which results in great bragging numbers for all the dyno racers out there. They can work pretty well in drag racing with a loose converter that keeps the engine RPM fairly constant (and high) during a pass. Centrifugal SCs have good boost response, but only to the boost level that they can deliver at a particular RPM.

Turbos can make the highest power levels across a reasonable operating range but suffer from response and packaging - especially in aftermarket bolt-on type applications. Biggest benefit from a turbo is the ability to use some of the exhaust heat for drive instead of a belt freeing up a couple extra ponies. The important aspect here is heat - it is the free part, if you can't keep the temp up from the engine to the turbine, then a turbo can quickly become less efficient to drive then a belt driven SC.

Positive displacement SCs offer the best boost response and a nearly flat boost curve across the engine operating range. While this is not the ideal curve if you're looking for bragging rights, it's normally the most fun to drive and fastest. For most people, the Maggies deliver reasonable performance with a very conservative tune - on a 6L engine up to about 500 RWHP the M112 SC is a good match. To go beyond that a bigger and more efficient blower like the TVS is a big help. Corvette ZR1s will lay down nearly 700RWHP with not much more than pulleys, updated SC intake, and tune, the only question is will an R2300 TVS fit on the Maggie manifold and can your CTSV rear handle it…
Thanks so much for that great input, so the next question....Any one running the big maggie (r2300 TVS) and if so what numbers are you getting?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by z28dogg
bob,
thanks for the tease!!! can you refer us to anyone that does this transplant?
Sorry... No, I don't know anyone who is doing the ProChargers on the V's. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
This be true, my buddy was running 640rwhp on his stock procharged LS1 for over a year as his DD.
347 cui STOCK pistons ? I dont think so sir. did he do his run in 3rd gear? or is lying and has forged pistons.
So LS1 normally around what? 320rwhp, and you double it on ALL STOCK INTERNALS? lol... thats funny
LS1 / LS6 cranks have no problem, its ring lands (#7 the worst) and crap pistons being the weak point, then the stock rods are iffy.

As Bob mentions and shows, stock block LS3 is different, for starters its bigger displacement and power to begin with. But anyone claiming LS1 stock internals can handle this is blowing a lot of smoke up your ***.
Any stock LS1 / 6 pushed hard (over 600rwhp) with FI doesn't last, period.

EPP says it right here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...hortblock.html

And that I beleive and have seen... over and over, anyone going over the 550rwhp mark, is back with a ring land blown, let alone 640. Let me be clear this is not a tuning issue, this is a mechanical failure limit.

Last edited by vmapper; 10-23-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: How many people are running a procharger