Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help me - E55 or CTSV

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

You guys bring up amazing points, exactly what I needed. Still really confused, the V (06) I had picked out is sold.

Damn it. What to do, what to do. I may just listen to her bitch for a year and just grab another LS3 C6...
Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wny not get rid of the SRT8 for an E55 AND pick up another C6 LS3? just wondering.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Banned

If you are thinking about keeping the SRT-8 and getting another C6, that that $$$ and get a V2. You will have a 4 door that is nicer than the SRT and faster than the C6.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

The rarity of the V with the production numbers never gets old explaining to friends. These cars could very well be the Grand Nationals of this decade with a bottoming of depreciation and slight appreciation of value as the years go by. Most people on these forums have fathers that had a real smokin car from the 50s or 60s(my father: '70 'Cuda AAR!) that would be worth a fortune today if they still had it. Luckily, IMO, we have the knowledge that the CTS-V could be the one that got away before letting it get away. Definetely keepin mine for the long haul barring disaster.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Wny not get rid of the SRT8 for an E55 AND pick up another C6 LS3? just wondering.

Originally Posted by Josh@PremierAutosports
If you are thinking about keeping the SRT-8 and getting another C6, that that $$$ and get a V2. You will have a 4 door that is nicer than the SRT and faster than the C6.
I sold the C6 to get a brand new 2010 Eqiunox for her, she was driving the SRT8 before that and she loves it but she fell in love with the suv. I would have to trade the SRT8 in on the CTSV, E55 or C6, I can't afford all 3.

If V2 is the 2009+, then yea, that is an option in the future when they get into the $45K range.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

some V2s are starting to drop into the 40s now. it wot be much longer before we start seeing that get on the market for 45 and less
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crowned Customs
Lingenfelter CIA, Kooks LT, Kooks high flow cats, Corsa catback, Fidanza Twin disk. It was actually me, a charger srt8 and a slammed e55 and we all got about even and hit it. I was just driving my car home from OR (just bought it 9 hours before) The charger pulled for a sec and then the E and I walked away and then I eventually I pulled on the E. Who knows he might have started backing off the faster we got but it seemed like he couldn't hang.
you must have run the non boosted e55. those mods arent getting you to beat the supercharged one.

if you are looking for a fast V list then you are more into performance then many here. you would feel rather slow in a V if you are looking for 120+ trap speeds.

for all the talk of road racing why isnt there a fast V list for road racing tracks and peoples times on there? or even drag stips and their times?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
you must have run the non boosted e55. those mods arent getting you to beat the supercharged one.

if you are looking for a fast V list then you are more into performance then many here. you would feel rather slow in a V if you are looking for 120+ trap speeds.

for all the talk of road racing why isnt there a fast V list for road racing tracks and peoples times on there? or even drag stips and their times?
You see my view 100% my friend.

I was a little bored (cough, cough..) with my 490rwhp 08 C6 so YES, I am a performance guy. My SRT8 would run a high 12 @ 111-112 I'm sure and it bores me to tears but I LOVE nailing it off the line. This would be a problem with a V, obviously. I could mod the SRT8 and get it to trap 125 (blower cam/Vortech) but I still don't like the car.

I really thought there was a V fast list, I guess not. The E55 is a strong car, very strong. From a roll it was brutal when I drove it and it was totally stock. I think it would take some form of F/I to beat one with a V or atleast a larger shortblock with a great H/C set up.

Does anybody in the V section trap 120-125?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
You see my view 100% my friend.

I was a little bored (cough, cough..) with my 490rwhp 08 C6 so YES, I am a performance guy. My SRT8 would run a high 12 @ 111-112 I'm sure and it bores me to tears but I LOVE nailing it off the line. This would be a problem with a V, obviously. I could mod the SRT8 and get it to trap 125 (blower cam/Vortech) but I still don't like the car.

I really thought there was a V fast list, I guess not. The E55 is a strong car, very strong. From a roll it was brutal when I drove it and it was totally stock. I think it would take some form of F/I to beat one with a V or atleast a larger shortblock with a great H/C set up.

Does anybody in the V section trap 120-125?
i understand your view because i am a performance guy with a vehicle which has a performance handicap. so personally i couldnt recommend this vehicle to someone if they are looking to do some street or strip racing. i would say though with gforce making this kit if it holds up to people treating it like a drunk red headed prom date then this car would have a new found appeal.

there are some cars here that would trap 120+ but the amount of mods some of them have would make other lsx guys hide their wallets.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

I was a little disappointed that of the 3 cars I was remotely considering (SRT-8, G8 GXP and CTS-V) the CTS-V seems to have the lowest average trap speeds. It may be the bad launches or it may be the heavy flywheel, but I'd expect the V1 to easily match the trap speeds of the GXPs, and they seem to be a few mph behind. Somehow, in the magazine tests, the V1s were pulling as high as 109mph. They seem to dyno a little lower than they ought to, as well. I wonder if the 400hp rating is with, or without the 45lb flywheel attached.

That said, the V1 is the most appealing overall car to me, so I bought one, and for a great price, too.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

E55 e55 e55 e55 e55 e55.

Eeeeeeeeee fffiiifftyyyyy fffiiiveeeee!!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by HPFreak
E55 e55 e55 e55 e55 e55.

Eeeeeeeeee fffiiifftyyyyy fffiiiveeeee!!!!

I'm leaning that way. I was hoping to find some gold nugget of truth about the CTSV that would blow me away.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kevm14
I was a little disappointed that of the 3 cars I was remotely considering (SRT-8, G8 GXP and CTS-V) the CTS-V seems to have the lowest average trap speeds. It may be the bad launches or it may be the heavy flywheel, but I'd expect the V1 to easily match the trap speeds of the GXPs, and they seem to be a few mph behind. Somehow, in the magazine tests, the V1s were pulling as high as 109mph. They seem to dyno a little lower than they ought to, as well. I wonder if the 400hp rating is with, or without the 45lb flywheel attached.

That said, the V1 is the most appealing overall car to me, so I bought one, and for a great price, too.
these are 3 of the cars i was looking at too (along with 05/06 GTOs).

i think the trap times will have to do with that the V is not a drag car, and was never designed to be that way. i have not intention of using this car a drag strip car. i may take it down every once in a while, but it wont be on a regular basis (maybe every 4 to 6 months). i want a car with a lot of comfort, power, and good bang for the buck. and i decided V was the way to go.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

I'm leaning that way. I was hoping to find some gold nugget of truth about the CTSV that would blow me away.
If you aren't already sold on the appearance or the way it handles (try one with the FG2 shocks) then I'm not sure we're going to have much to say. If your driving consists of flooring the gas, then slowing down, then the V1 is NOT your best choice. At least for appearance I think the E55 looks pretty boring, personally. I can't believe you aren't finding some way to end up in a V2 CTS-V. That's what I would be doing. Those cars have it all.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Mitch said it best, the V isn't really a stop light car although it isn't bad. It is a much better handling car than an E55. I traded a C6 Z51 for our 07 CTSV in '08. I love the car but it is a bit slower in a straight line than an E55 and the interior in the E55 is gonna be better. I do love the fact I can work on the V though and it is a fairly rare car. I am sure I would love to have an E55 until it needed to be repaired. I liek them both. I don't miss my C6 though as I have a modded C5.

Oh, congrats on the girl! We are expecting a girl any day now as well!

Derek
Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

wat about a g8 gxp or gt?
but if its just between the e55 and v i'd take the e55 over it every day just for the fact u can do digs and its boosted stock.
a local here does 10.87@133 with Custom PC tune, ASP 180mm pulley, 82mm renntech tb, renntech airbox, Code 3 HE, Floored Fabbed Long tubes, and DR's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TLZ3wdbWcM
Old 08-29-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't touch an E55 unless it had a warranty.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or E63 or 2010 V.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
If you're willing to drop 60K on an '05 E55, why not consider an '09/'10 CTS-V?

I'm sure you can find a used one for less than 60K and the performance is much, much closer to that of the E55.

Duude a used 05 e55 is no where near 60k i've seen newer e63's for like 40k!! So you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've personally been considering these cars myself. MB is way better on the luxury side they drive way better IMO, but as people have said the CTSV mod nicer thats for sure and the Maintenance on the Benz will make you broke!

I'm not kidding either we have an 04 e500 4matic wagon and its a bad *** car, but damm if we didnt have the extended warranty it would have made us go broke from the airride suspension going out and a ton of other krazy **** that cost some serious cash.

Service is usually around 500 bux to 1500 when they popup. So just keep that in mind.

I'm personally on the fence still myself, since I havent found a nice CTSV that i'd pull the trigger yet and there is an 05 e55 down the street that is right around $29k with 40k miles on it. So who knows what I will do.... I really think I'm going to hold out for the V, just since I know ls1 and ls2's and we can mod the **** out of them!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by apexman
Mitch said it best, the V isn't really a stop light car although it isn't bad. It is a much better handling car than an E55. I traded a C6 Z51 for our 07 CTSV in '08. I love the car but it is a bit slower in a straight line than an E55 and the interior in the E55 is gonna be better. I do love the fact I can work on the V though and it is a fairly rare car. I am sure I would love to have an E55 until it needed to be repaired. I liek them both. I don't miss my C6 though as I have a modded C5.

Oh, congrats on the girl! We are expecting a girl any day now as well!

Derek
Congrats on the little girl man, they are amazing, no joke! Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
wat about a g8 gxp or gt?
but if its just between the e55 and v i'd take the e55 over it every day just for the fact u can do digs and its boosted stock.
a local here does 10.87@133 with Custom PC tune, ASP 180mm pulley, 82mm renntech tb, renntech airbox, Code 3 HE, Floored Fabbed Long tubes, and DR's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TLZ3wdbWcM
One amazing reason. It would take some good mods on a 2009 V to turn 133 traps.

Originally Posted by whisler151
I wouldn't touch an E55 unless it had a warranty.
My ONLY area of concern, excellent point.

Originally Posted by scatillac
or E63 or 2010 V.
The E63 is the same performance as the E55 (+/-) according to the MBboards and Dragtimes.com NOT to mention the modability does not compare, the E55 is capable of monstrous mods where the E63 (NA) is not.

I would take the 09 V but at $50K, I could have (2) E55's for the price of the V, though it may be worth it.

Quick Reply: Help me - E55 or CTSV