Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help me - E55 or CTSV

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whisler151
i wouldn't touch an e55 unless it had a warranty.
+2

law
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I just read this halarious quote from MBforums.

"...Its 4-doors and understated sheet metal pretend to be nice. It greets other cars while secretly clutching a large-bore handgun behind its back, “How are you today? Great. Lovely weather we’re – BOOM!” Dead car. By the time the faint whine of the supercharger is heard, it’s far too late. On to the next mark."
Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

You live in Florida. You probably have no roads that have curves in them. Just get the E55 and floor it from 60 to 120 all day long if that's what you need to do....
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Congrats on the little girl man, they are amazing, no joke! Thanks for the advice.
Little girls are great. I had two and they were angels.

Then they got *****, grouchy once a month (always in series, never parallel) and then the boys ...

The last one FINALLY got married in May.

I have finally written my last check on my kids. So I'm buying as many toys as I can before grand kids arrive.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So far you seem to be sold on the idea of two things about the V.
1. You are familiar with the lsx platform.
2. Easy and Cheap to mod for performance

V lacks the exterior (according to your preference), interior and stoplight to stoplight performance the E55 has.

E55 is Expensive to mod and or fix.

So far it seems to me you want a Cool car that performs.

Since your wife LOVES her suv over the SRT8 and the srt8 is basically your dd now.
Why not trade the srt8 for a c6 and have a cool fast car while she enjoys her suv.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
So far you seem to be sold on the idea of two things about the V.
1. You are familiar with the lsx platform.
2. Easy and Cheap to mod for performance

V lacks the exterior (according to your preference), interior and stoplight to stoplight performance the E55 has.

E55 is Expensive to mod and or fix.

So far it seems to me you want a Cool car that performs.

Since your wife LOVES her suv over the SRT8 and the srt8 is basically your dd now.
Why not trade the srt8 for a c6 and have a cool fast car while she enjoys her suv.
You are also right on par with my reasoning.

If I can't decide between the 2 (E55 or V) I will be grabbing another 08 LS3 C6 since it is what I know. She does think it's not "practicle" without a backseat and for safety I am willing to consider a sweet 4dr. This option just seems kind of selfish when I say it out loud.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Teching In

FWIW, I'm in a very similar predicament as you. I've got 2 kids under the age of 4 and the wife drives the kids around in a Tahoe. I used to have a 4 seat F-150 and we NEVER had the kids in the truck. 99% of the time in 'my' vehicle was just going back and forth to work. So...I convinced the wife a C5 would be a great 'commuter' car for me (hey, it gets 30mpg on the highway) so I bought a '00 FRC C5. LOVED that car but I ended up finding a slick spot in an S-turn and wrapped it around a tree.
....I'm getting to my point....
My replacement for the C5 was an '05 SSR modded out a bit. I still have that truck but I'm sick of constantly hearing the bickering from the wife about not being able to take the kids anywhere in my vehicle so I've broken down and am looking for a 4-door vehicle. That brought me to the CTS-V gen 1 or an '03/'04 E55. I thinking I'm going to get the V because the maintanance is simple and inexpensive compared to the E55. Plus, I know LS motors fairly well so that's another plus. Plus, I like to buy American when I can. I currently have 3 Chevy's...a '69 427 Vette, '09 Tahoe, and '05 SSR.
I wouldn't plan on drag racing any 4-door sedan so the edge in that department is a moot point. Besides, that's what my 600hp C3 is for.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

buy 2 E55s...let you wife drive one, and you drive the other. and then sell the SUV and SRT-8 and get a Z06
Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by tshort
FWIW, I'm in a very similar predicament as you. I've got 2 kids under the age of 4 and the wife drives the kids around in a Tahoe. I used to have a 4 seat F-150 and we NEVER had the kids in the truck. 99% of the time in 'my' vehicle was just going back and forth to work. So...I convinced the wife a C5 would be a great 'commuter' car for me (hey, it gets 30mpg on the highway) so I bought a '00 FRC C5. LOVED that car but I ended up finding a slick spot in an S-turn and wrapped it around a tree.
....I'm getting to my point....
My replacement for the C5 was an '05 SSR modded out a bit. I still have that truck but I'm sick of constantly hearing the bickering from the wife about not being able to take the kids anywhere in my vehicle so I've broken down and am looking for a 4-door vehicle. That brought me to the CTS-V gen 1 or an '03/'04 E55. I thinking I'm going to get the V because the maintanance is simple and inexpensive compared to the E55. Plus, I know LS motors fairly well so that's another plus. Plus, I like to buy American when I can. I currently have 3 Chevy's...a '69 427 Vette, '09 Tahoe, and '05 SSR.
I wouldn't plan on drag racing any 4-door sedan so the edge in that department is a moot point. Besides, that's what my 600hp C3 is for.
Excellent point of view! I was just on MBforums and I have to admit, if I am being honest, the E55 is NOT pracicle either with the repair and maint. I have been avoiding the nightmare threads but they do exist so I have to be honest. You know how you can talk yourself into something ignoring certain facts and then looking back you want to slap yourself silly..? I think The E55 would be that mistake. Amazing car if you make .... more than I do.

Check out this thread, I don't think you need to register.
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...-reliable.html

The LS2 CTSV is better than the LS6, correct? The 06 also has the better rear..?

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
buy 2 E55s...let you wife drive one, and you drive the other. and then sell the SUV and SRT-8 and get a Z06
Who's loaning all this green dude? Other than that, great idea!

(2) E55's and a C6Z - You've made it man, it's all down hill from here
Old 08-29-2010, 10:02 PM

Actually, she wants me to get a 2010 Camaro if anything. She likes that more than the E55, CTSV and the C6. This thread is going everywhere, but SOME new fathers will get to see where it ends for years to come when they search.

How about this..?

CTSV (06-07) or 10 SS? The Camaro performs better, has back seats and can be launched. I know they weigh about the same though. Hmmm, the CTSV may still be a better choice.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, she wants me to get a 2010 Camaro if anything. She likes that more than the E55, CTSV and the C6. This thread is going everywhere, but SOME new fathers will get to see where it ends for years to come when they search.

How about this..?

CTSV (06-07) or 10 SS? The Camaro performs better, has back seats and can be launched. I know they weigh about the same though. Hmmm, the CTSV may still be a better choice.
thats a tough call...i thought about a Gen 5 Camaro, but i started seeing so many of them on the roads before i headed overseas. so for that reason, i scratched it. and the V just isnt that common.

camaro benefits, LS3 and (like you said) better launch ability. also, a new camaro will be a lot easier to finance. negatives, 2 doors will be a PITA to get a infant in and out of.

if you are will to put of with 2 doors, cant go wrong with a 10 Camaro SS...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

do u want to do digs or rolls thats how u should judge which one u want.
personally out of all ur choices i'd pick a e55 while expensive to repair u cant beat the hp for mods in a boosted car stock. look at the vid i posted with that few of BOLT ONS neither the camaro ss or v would be able to touch it.
or u can get a c63 amg while they are about 45k its a nice new car with warranty
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20359.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMcMQz2Q8-E
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

You should also check out the other forum, cadillacforums, there's some videos out there of V's spanking those new camaros. Personally I can't stand those new camaros they're way too big, ugly and everyone has em! The firebreather one looks sick though!

As for launches, I have an 06 n I've dropped mine at 5k and my diff has been holding up. Just feather the clutch don't dump it and you'll be ok. There is no recorded 2006 or 7 that has actually broken the diff I think some have broken the axles though. I say get the V find a shop that's willing to help you work on it and make one helluva V.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

I sold the C6 to get a brand new 2010 Eqiunox for her, she was driving the SRT8 before that and she loves it but she fell in love with the suv. I would have to trade the SRT8 in on the CTSV, E55 or C6, I can't afford all 3.

If V2 is the 2009+, then yea, that is an option in the future when they get into the $45K range.
they already are in the 45k range cuz I just bought one...

Just have to look out there and tell the dealers that think they can still get 60k for a 2009 they are smoking crack. They will call you back in a month and sell it, I could have gotten 3 for the same price as mine.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Domsz06
they already are in the 45k range cuz I just bought one...

Just have to look out there and tell the dealers that think they can still get 60k for a 2009 they are smoking crack. They will call you back in a month and sell it, I could have gotten 3 for the same price as mine.

Good to know! I only looked on Ebay and they were all $50-56K. She does love those, that would be perfect actually. Trade the SUV and the SRT8 in and work one car, since I have a company truck...

Did you get the A6? I wouldn't want an M6 with a 4200lb car.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Yea the V2 has been at 45k for a bit now, i have seen a few near the lower 40s with a bit higher miles as well.

And i would still say to go for the E55 out of your choices, just get one a CPO one and you will be set.

Or hey since this thread is going everywhere, why not a BMW 335i Sedan? those get into 11s very very easily and you can have them in many flavors, rwd, awd, stick, auto.

I wold get both of those over a V1, and to be honest the 335 is better in every way including handling since it now appears thats why EVERY V owner bought his car for.

Oh and obviously the interior, yea its not really preference that makes people say the E55 has a better one, its the gift of sight and the ability of touch that makes it obvious, same goes for the 335.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevm14
If you aren't already sold on the appearance or the way it handles (try one with the FG2 shocks) then I'm not sure we're going to have much to say. If your driving consists of flooring the gas, then slowing down, then the V1 is NOT your best choice. At least for appearance I think the E55 looks pretty boring, personally. I can't believe you aren't finding some way to end up in a V2 CTS-V. That's what I would be doing. Those cars have it all.
its funny you never really hear the V2 guys come up with excuses why their car cant do something.

Originally Posted by whisler151
I wouldn't touch an E55 unless it had a warranty.
i had my diff replaced under warranty, i feel bad for people who have to eat that bullet out of pocket.

Congrats on the little girl man, they are amazing, no joke! Thanks for the advice.

One amazing reason. It would take some good mods on a 2009 V to turn 133 traps.
i think you would need similar mods to a e55 to make a V2 turn 133. but i might be wrong.

you think of driving a c63? i have really been looking to go that route if this new diff eats dirt on me.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this..?

my wife wants us to pick up a 10ss. we went to test drive one and she has this look in her eyes when ever she sees one now.

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
do u want to do digs or rolls thats how u should judge which one u want.
personally out of all ur choices i'd pick a e55 while expensive to repair u cant beat the hp for mods in a boosted car stock. look at the vid i posted with that few of BOLT ONS neither the camaro ss or v would be able to touch it.
or u can get a c63 amg while they are about 45k its a nice new car with warranty
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20359.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMcMQz2Q8-E
11.2 with bolt ons? damn if they get some boost on that thing its going to move.
Good to know! I only looked on Ebay and they were all $50-56K. She does love those, that would be perfect actually. Trade the SUV and the SRT8 in and work one car, since I have a company truck...

Did you get the A6? I wouldn't want an M6 with a 4200lb car.
I would say you look in this order for cars.
- V2
- c63
- another c6
- 10SS
- V1

based on what you are looking to do with it that seems to be the best and cheapest way to be quick-ish. honestly though you could go alot faster for cheaper with a 10SS and lots of boost and tire on the stock block...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 AM

Shet, I can't even locate a V2 (2009-2011) for anything under $49K on Ebay or the Autotrader, maybe it's a South Florida thing. Zip is 33321, I searched and came up empty.

Never thought of the 335, will look into that too. Thanks-

The advice in this thread is much better than I would have thought
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

that 11.2 wasnt bolt ons for the c63, the bolt on comment was for the e55 that went 10.87. the c63 had ported heads, headers, intake, catback, dr's and tune on 100 iirc

Quick Reply: Help me - E55 or CTSV