Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Broke a valve spring *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well this is a coincidence, i just noticed we have the same springs. maybe i have some of the bad batch too
Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a Plan B if you need it: Just wondered if instead of a bad spring, maybe you have an exhaust leak and the header bolts need to be snugged up a bit. Happened to me, but after fifteen minutes with a wrench, mine quieted right down.

Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Teching In

well i'm not seeing any visual signs of an exhaust leak being the common black marks around any hole(s) etc. but i will go play around with snugging up the bolts before doing anything radical

also an exhaust leak almost sounds more like a "sputter" compared to this.. maybe it's just the other sounds due to my exhaust etc that are making this sound different, we'll see.

on one of my old lt1's i had, i replaced the header gaskets while everything was still together... took me FOREVER and i nearly gave up just because leaning over the car into the engine bay like that for so long was killing my back. I am 5-7 and it was still straining 0_0
Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As I think was mentioned before, make sure your oil temps are in operating range. Your coolant system may be getting to temp well before your oil does.

In my experience, exhaust leaks are rarely visible, and can sound like a mechanical tapping depending on the size and location of the leak. I wouldn't rule it completely out.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

further analysis shows it's not a lifter or spring thank goodness. sounds more like a leak either in the cluster for my drivers side long tube (which i heard is either a pain or impossible to fix) or the previous guy might have doubled up on the gaskets.... another discovery was my valve cover gasket has a very small leak and we found a spot where it's slowly dripping on.

Quick Reply: Broke a valve spring *PICS*