Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Racinb Brake ET500 initial review

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Racinb Brake ET500 initial review

I had installed a set of RB 2-piece front rotors a few months ago, and kept the stock pads. The RB rotors are significantly lighter, on the order of 4-6 lbs each, can't recall exactly. Just subjective street driving felt like initial bite was a bit improved, and the lighter weight of the rotor translated into a bit more responsive feeling in the steering.

I installed the ET500 pads a couple weeks ago. While I was at it, I cleaned the calipers and hardware, wheel wells, etc. Those stock pads sure leave a lot of debris. The ET500 pads are quite thick, necessitating pushing the caliper pistons in as far as they would go (that's why I wanted to clean everything well). They do not have shims, nor do they appear to recommend using the stock shims. Seems some people have complained about squeaking, only to discover that removing the shims gets rid of the noise. I spent a week or so just putting mileage on the pads via street and highway driving. I wanted to get the pads mated to the rotor surfaces. These are performance street pads, not racing pads, so I wasn't going to just go out and bed them in like a racing pad. Braking felt at least on par with the stock pads, but I didn't really "test" them. After about a week, I could definitely tell the pads were seating themselves on the rotors, so I went through the RB bedding procedure. Took the car home and let it sit overnight.

They DEFINITELY grab better than the stock pads. Cold bite is excellent, and once a smidge of heat gets in them (smidge being just some street mileage) they bite a little harder. Modulation is very controllable, but I have not tested the pads to see their threshold. They stop the car more quickly with much less pedal pressure than the stock pads. The modulation feels like it gets more aggressive with more pedal, meaning it is not perfectly linear, but it is very controllable. The brake pedal feels similar, meaning it's not more firm or spongy with the ET500s, but more aggressive driving may shed some light. One of the aspects I am appreciating the most is the near absence of brake dust. We all know how the stock Ferodo pads dust. After almost 2 weeks of driving with these pads, the wheels barely had a dusting on them. Cleaning the wheels was an absolute snap, and I didn't have to use the rim brush to get inside the wheels like I had to with the stock pads.

These pads dust very little, make no noise, have better initial cold and warm bite, and outstanding modulation and overall performance, at a price that is at least comparable to the HP+. I have not driven HP+ pads on this car, so I can't compare braking performance. However, for street use, the ET500's are more than adequate, and the total lack of dust and noise will make me a repeat customer.

I initially bought the ET500s to use on the street and the occasional HPDE, but I think I'll get a set of ET800s for HPDEs, and leave the ET500s for street duty. I won't have to worry about pad compound/formulation conflicts, and the ET800s are still gentle enough on rotors to drive to and from events. The price is also attractive.

I have no affiliation with RB, just sharing experience.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent writeup! Thanks for sharing. I gotta get me some 2-piece rotors as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

very good write up, i just bought a set and will install them this weekend.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

To the OP: Do you have any pix of the new rotors?

liquidvenom: Let us know what you think, and how much, if any, the steering response and feel is improved by the rotating mass reduction.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Launching!

I have these too, very pleased!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

At higher speeds, the steering change would probably feel more dramatic with the lower inertia of the RB rotors. I drive pretty slow on the street to give a total picture. I needed rotors for the car anyway, so that's went with the 2-piece.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tweeter81
To the OP: Do you have any pix of the new rotors?

liquidvenom: Let us know what you think, and how much, if any, the steering response and feel is improved by the rotating mass reduction.
I only got the pads, i will pick up the rotors after winter.

Quick Reply: Racinb Brake ET500 initial review