Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Faint whining sound from under the hood....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Faint whining sound from under the hood....?

I've had this faint whining sound from under the hood since I bought the car. It's hardly noticable but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this same sound on their V or if anyone knows what causes it? It sounds as if it could be a noisy power steering pump or maybe one of the pulley bearings that's about to go bad. It's hard to hear it unless u are parked beside something idling with the windows down where it can echo back to you while sitting in the drivers seat or if youre standing outside of the car by the hood.

Either way, I'm sure it's nothing major as it hasnt gotten any louder or caused any problems but if I can throw a little grease on something or replace whatever it is if it's cheap, I'll be a happy camper.

Anyone else hear this faint whining type sound I'm describing? I suppose it could also maybe be belt related so don't rule that out.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

No. But IMHO if you can't hear it unless the sound waves are bouncing back to you off things then it isn't all that important.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I've had this faint whining sound from under the hood since I bought the car. It's hardly noticable but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this same sound on their V or if anyone knows what causes it? It sounds as if it could be a noisy power steering pump or maybe one of the pulley bearings that's about to go bad. It's hard to hear it unless u are parked beside something idling with the windows down where it can echo back to you while sitting in the drivers seat or if youre standing outside of the car by the hood.

Either way, I'm sure it's nothing major as it hasnt gotten any louder or caused any problems but if I can throw a little grease on something or replace whatever it is if it's cheap, I'll be a happy camper.

Anyone else hear this faint whining type sound I'm describing? I suppose it could also maybe be belt related so don't rule that out.
I do have a very slight whining sound at times too. The first time I noticed it I was doing donuts and best I could figure it kinda ran my p/s pump dry. Stopped and so did the sound. I added just a tad of ps fluid and all is well.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Cancer... Yeah, you're right. I just figured if someone knew what was causing it, I could fix it just because I'm **** about things being perfect... Lol

Bama... It prob is something to do with the power steering. It sounds like that sort of noise to me anyway. My power steering works fine though. Maybe I'll double check the fluid just to be sure that's not the cause of it.

I was hoping someone else experienced this so I'd have a def answer as to the root of the sound. I suppose if I get bored one day, I can take it to my buddy at the dealer and have him throw the chassis ears on it.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Cancer... Yeah, you're right. I just figured if someone knew what was causing it, I could fix it just because I'm **** about things being perfect... Lol

Bama... It prob is something to do with the power steering. It sounds like that sort of noise to me anyway. My power steering works fine though. Maybe I'll double check the fluid just to be sure that's not the cause of it.

I was hoping someone else experienced this so I'd have a def answer as to the root of the sound. I suppose if I get bored one day, I can take it to my buddy at the dealer and have him throw the chassis ears on it.
I've never had an issue with my steering not working or acting up at all...just the occasional whine...sometimes it gets me a lil worried then it's not there at all. I do keep a check on it regular out of paranioa.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I was hoping this would be a maggie thread
Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Deedubb... I wish it was bro! Lol

Bama... Sounds just like my car. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse. Looks like the powersteering pumps are only $50 on eBay anyway so not a big deal if it ever does fail.

Quick Reply: Faint whining sound from under the hood....?