Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bolt pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt pattern

I am a noob.. I know this. but why did they have to put a 6 lug on the CTS-V? Why not just use Vette Hubs and bolt patterns? Been looking up wheel options for the CTS-V and there arent many...

Im thinking painted stockers(winter) and black team dynamics(favorite wheel ever) in the summer.

I know I dont have my CTS-V yet. But just researching while I can.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LegacyGTBiggie
I am a noob.. I know this. but why did they have to put a 6 lug on the CTS-V? Why not just use Vette Hubs and bolt patterns? Been looking up wheel options for the CTS-V and there arent many...

Im thinking painted stockers(winter) and black team dynamics(favorite wheel ever) in the summer.

I know I dont have my CTS-V yet. But just researching while I can.
I'm not sure I have the answer to your initial question, but based on a guess, I would say that with the torque ours cars make + the extra weight over what a Corvette weighs, GM probably felt the extra lug bolt was needed because of safety concerns.

The TD wheels are nice, but in case you didn't know, they don't make a center wheel cap to fit those wheels because they are really primarily a racing wheel and not really intended to be used on the street (although they can be). If you can have wheel caps custom made, or live without one (which, IMO, would look crappy on the street), then go for it.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

guess id have to get soem made then. I had pro race 1s on my old SpecV SER. And i loved them. Was so sad to sell those after totalling the car.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

The 6 lug doesn't make much sense to me when the V2 makes way more power and is heavier with 5 lugs. Not sure what they were thinking.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Must have been a cheaper parts bin part to pull from... Not sure what GM products use this bolt pattern... But there has to be a money type reason why they didnt just use the Vette peices.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tweeter, your car looks friggin siiick man (in your signature).
Old 11-01-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
The 6 lug doesn't make much sense to me when the V2 makes way more power and is heavier with 5 lugs.
Note that the V2 uses 14mm wheel studs, which I've never heard of on a passenger car.

With that said, I still don't know what the deal was with the 6-lug pattern. There have been big baller BMWs, Bentleys, RRs, etc for years with in many cases significantly heavier curb weights and huge power and torque surviving with 5-lug hubs.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

hey tweeter.. Wanna sell me your rims when I get my car?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I heard/read somewhere the hubs or something were from a Trailblazer SS?

I don't think it has to do with the torque/weight, but initially I was wondering if had to do with the runflats?

I've been curious on the real reason they did it though, so if we find out 100%, I'd sure like to know!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

hey tweeter.. Wanna sell me your rims when I get my car?
Sorry man, I love them to much to part with them.

As an aside, I posted awhile back on the cadillacforums that my current wheels (CCW SP600s - pictured in sig) actually weigh a grand total of 30 lbs less than the stock wheels, and I even upsized them all around (0.5" wider and 1" taller in front, and 1.5" wider and 1" taller in rear over the stock size). The benefits of forged aluminum wheels are numerous.

I would be very curious to see how light the TD wheels are. At 18"x9" they are only 0.5" wider than stock, so I bet they are way lighter.

BTW, thanks ferny...maybe someday I'll have my car almost as low as yours, its a badass look!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

I know my old 17x7 TD Pro Race1s were like 16-17lbs. SO I would assume a 18x9 is near 20lbs a wheel.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

I was wrong 24.2lbs per wheel.
http://www.teamilluminata.com/Shop/T...amDynamics.htm
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cadillac did it with the STSV wheels as well, 6 lugs. I dont mind my black powdercoated stockers but of course id love to be able to throw a set of deep dish wheels on it(even without 6 lugs i couldnt due to the brakes).
Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've wondered this as well...As have a TON of others that I've seen express their frustrations on limited wheels choices, and like itsslow said the room you have to allow for brakes throw another monkey wrench in the shopping for customizable rims. I'd like to pick the brain or lack thereof of the engineers on the original V project....Maybe the head engineer was planning on going into a custom wheel biz
Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I've wondered this as well...As have a TON of others that I've seen express their frustrations on limited wheels choices, and like itsslow said the room you have to allow for brakes throw another monkey wrench in the shopping for customizable rims. I'd like to pick the brain or lack thereof of the engineers on the original V project....Maybe the head engineer was planning on going into a custom wheel biz
LOL thats funny........that engineer probably desgined all three pain in the asses for a reason. Maybe he even had a plan to do custom rear ends along with those custom wheels and put the POS diff in it haha

1. 6 lug
2. big brakes
3. trailing arms

^^^ All 3 are killers for sick custom wheels IMO.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

It is just annoying. I wanna get two sets. winter/summer and then one set of rears for the track... Do the Vs do well with DRs in the back?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is just annoying. I wanna get two sets. winter/summer and then one set of rears for the track... Do the Vs do well with DRs in the back?
yes...just cant fit a very big tire back there
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

what are the biggest sizes you can go with and with what offsets? Anyone know?

I wanna go atleast 265 if im gonna be bolted/cammed/tuned.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

265 will be fine, but go 275 or 285. i have seen a couple guys with 285 street radials. i dont think you can get much bigger then that. but on the stock rims, 275 is the widest i have seen.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

what are the biggest sizes you can go with and with what offsets? Anyone know?

I wanna go atleast 265 if im gonna be bolted/cammed/tuned.
I've run 285s for years in the rear, and I'm currently running 295 r-comps, which are so square and wide that they are comparable to running 305 street tires, and I have no problems. But, I am not slammed in the rear either.

Your earlier question about drag radials...don't even think about drag racing this car until you upgrade the rear end and axles. They are notorious for breaking (diff exploding) at the track under high grip, high power clutch dumps. Now if you drive the car how it was meant to be driven, on the roadcourse, and don't try to launch it, then the rearend will last forever.

Also, drag radials will negatively impact the handling characteristics of a V to the point where it won't feel right any more. A heavy, high HP car + soft sidewalled drag radials does not make a good combination.

Just my two cents...In case you didn't notice it from my sig, I am a big roadcourse guy so I am definitely biased in my opinion on what is the most fun way to use a V.

Quick Reply: Bolt pattern