Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Random Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having our annual outdoor pre Thanksgiving dinner. A little cool this year. Got the heaters going outside, its 50 degrees.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Yay for San Diego. I want to auto-x at Qualcomm one of these days.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guitar333
Yay for San Diego. I want to auto-x at Qualcomm one of these days.
You should come on down. There is an event on December 11th. But it looks like I'll be out of town again.

Next years schedule should be out shortly. They are waiting for Qualcomm to give them dates.

http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/
Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by branland
Now that someone else has chimed in…I would also agree that bigger tires will induce understeer. These cars stock already have a lot of understeer, but if you are going for the look and not tracking the car it probably won’t be that big of a deal.

I have a rear strut tower brace and stiffer springs in the rear (600\650). I also run the Hotchis bars front and rear. Lowering the car allowed me to get almost 1.7 degrees of negative camber out of the front. My setup now with the QA1’s, makes the car oversteer at the limit and she rotates a low and high speed. A little to much at high speed for my liking, but it is very predictable and great for autocrossing.

If you are going to go with a bigger tire in the rear, might want to use as smaller diameter front bar (or maybe even the stock one) and do a stiffer rear bar and brace. The spring rates, shocks and how you lower the car front and rear will also have an effect.

On the street a little understeer will make the car more predictable and easier to control near the limit. Although you can induce oversteer by braking earlier and rolling into the throttle. On the track (road course) oversteer is oversteer and understeer is slow. Of course it depends on your driving style. Jenson Button has always been quick in an understeering car, unlike Shumacker, and drivers like Alonso can drive anything.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with Branland. Good advice. Especailly with the sway bars. I do, however, think the V in stock form is pretty neutral and didn't notice any excessive push on my car when it was stock. That may be a driving style issue as well and I never autocrossed.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that most of the oem "staggered" setups have wider wheels to accompany the tire and if they are really geared toward maximum handling, then they would probably also have a "0" offset, so to speak, between the front and rear wheels. In other words, you could run a straight line (0 degree) from the edge of the front tire to the rear tire. They did this on the IROC and also the Syclone (and I'm sure many others; just so happened to have one of each of these), by using different offsets on the front vs. rear wheels and while the tire size was the same on those, you couldn't rotate them

Personally, with such a relatively small tire sidewall (aspect ratio), it's not a good idea to stretch the tire over these narrow wheels. On 4x4's and muscle cars that use tall tires, you can get away with this, cause there's so much sidewall to flex. Not ideal in handling, but great for hooking or airing down for rockcrawling

Now, 275 may work alright, but IMO he has some truth in what he's saying, in theory, but day to day, I doubt it's gonna be an issue. But I agree about tire guys and many other 'experts', where they don't seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to anything beyond a cookie cutter honda application or something computer tells them, if that makes sense. There are some good ones out there, but not typical, in my experiences...

Quick Reply: Random Questions