Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Welp, broke it..haha

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MOneys never causes people to not go fast, I mean the guys dropping 30k on mods from Hennessy for 09Vs when they just spent 65 on the car. The first Gen V was a benchmark in 04 and still since then I have no seen one in the 10s.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsslow98
MOneys never causes people to not go fast, I mean the guys dropping 30k on mods from Hennessy for 09Vs when they just spent 65 on the car. The first Gen V was a benchmark in 04 and still since then I have no seen one in the 10s.
You gotta point all the way around on that one......I couldn't imagine spending that kind of dollars. I've seen A LOT of posts on how to make it faster and more reliable, and A LOT more on how the V wasn't designed to be a drag car. Either way it suits my needs perfectly and I knew when I bought it, it wasn't gonna be a 10 second car. I do enjoy seeing people pushing the envelope and coming up with creative solutions.....As long as everyone knows it's gonna be a constant work in progress...But I guess that's with anything you're making FAST.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^ Good post, it suits my needs to a point, if i had money for another fbody with a stalled auto id be in heaven lol. Unfortunately I feel like im growing out of the V and may need to move on. We shall see........sorry for the hijack OP.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its likely i wont own the car after winter and I do disagree, ive had that diff in the car for almost two years now if it was gonna go itd have gone by now. Itll never see the track again cause it just isnt fun to me knowing itll never launch.

And there is no way in hell id spend 5500 bucks on a built rear. If i wanted a car dedicated to go fast at the track, itll be anm fbody or some kind of swap. The V will never be as fast as they should be even with a built rear. Too damn heavy and im not willing to sacrifice the amenities to make it faster.

Theres a reason why no one has ever seen a V1 go faster then mid 11s in 6 years since they have been out.
Very true about the shitty drag times. People who try to use this car for something that it will never be worth a **** at are basically trying to force a round peg through a square hole...

Now, I personally still have a lot of respect for these cars because I actually care about roadcourse performance (you know, the thing that these cars were built to excel at) and if you do some searching on the internet (SCCA, NASA websites, etc.) you will see some ultra-competitive roadcourse times. These cars are pretty much the kings of their segment (moderately heavy luxury sedans that are now 5-6 years old) when it comes to handling, breaking, and acceleration. I have surprised more than a few people on the track that never thought that a big Cadillac could handle that well.

I have also posted stories and video of me running neck and neck with modified Subie WRXs and STIs, which our cars should really have no business keeping up with cars like that on a tight roadcourse, but they do because they are so well engineered for the lapping the track.

I am not putting down guys that like the 1/4-mile, but I always wondered why anyone would want to spend money to sit in a staging line for hours, mash the gas and shift gears for 13 seconds, and then do that all over again, when you could pay $250 and do a full day of lapping (approx. 4-5 20-30 minute lapping sessions) and experience all performance aspects of the car. There are enough tracks around the county that if you live in the lower 48, you should be within 3-4 hours of a track. And let me tell you, it is so worth it.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea your right on with the road course thing. Closest track to me is about 2 hrs(summit point) and VIR is 8. Ive always wanted to try it but truly i just cant afford it with maintenance to attend an event. Mainly because I cant do it half assed if im gonna do it im gonna do it right(new pads, fluids, tires etc).

I just got a beater for the winter so its no longer my daily driver which was another concern but at this point its sitting till spring and i can figure out if its gonna stick around.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

Yea your right on with the road course thing. Closest track to me is about 2 hrs(summit point) and VIR is 8. Ive always wanted to try it but truly i just cant afford it with maintenance to attend an event. Mainly because I cant do it half assed if im gonna do it im gonna do it right(new pads, fluids, tires etc).

I just got a beater for the winter so its no longer my daily driver which was another concern but at this point its sitting till spring and i can figure out if its gonna stick around.
i don't think u would have too much fun out here on the roadcourse with such little power. u'd be out of the juice within a half a lap..lol
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Thar she is...the new one is being a pain in the *** too..arg

Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GREG O.
i don't think u would have too much fun out here on the roadcourse with such little power. u'd be out of the juice within a half a lap..lol
Hey, if I recall you didnt put down a whole lot more then me on motor and your car is not running at the moment lol.
Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Thar she is...the new one is being a pain in the *** too..arg

Damn, that sucks. Nothing is ever easy thats for sure.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

I always thought I'd break it at the track, not on the street playing around.

Taking it all apart and back together is a 1hr thing, but I just cant get the axle to snap in place. Once it lines up with the splines correctly, it only goes in about 1/4" or so which is when the splines meet the snap ring. I'm gonna go pick up some grease today (was just using gear oil before) and try again after some Christmas shopping.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have you used a hammer? Bang that bastard in there thats what i did and havent had a problem, just be sure to thread the spindle nut onto the end just enough to cover the end of the reads and hit it in there. It should only take a couple hits to seat the axle in the diff.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Nope, this is my first IRS car and I wasnt sure how fragile the cv's were so I was trying to push it in w/o putting pressure on the cv's. But if I can just bottom out the cv's and hammer from the outside with the nut on it, then ill do that.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Resident

So yeah, I lined up the axle and pushed from the axle itself and it went in easily..lol. I cant believe I spent a few hours trying to get it in w/o putting any pressure on the cv's. It took about 2 seconds this way and the car was back together in well under an hour. I've never owned an IRS car and of the 10 or 12 cars I've owned one was fwd and the rest were solid rears...either fbodys or trucks.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Good post, it suits my needs to a point, if i had money for another fbody with a stalled auto id be in heaven lol. Unfortunately I feel like im growing out of the V and may need to move on. We shall see........sorry for the hijack OP.
so your thinking of selling now to huh??

Ive been keeping an eye out for more vids against the new 5.0.
Looking forward to seeing some track runs from the 9" guys aswell

I miss my v alittle, But your points in the thread are exactly why I sold.
Im thinking of going the f-body route aswell, just keeping an eye out for that dream deal for now.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'm the opposite. I've had several fbodys and went to the caddy and don't think I'd ever go back unless I wanted to make an all out drag car.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I'm the opposite. I've had several fbodys and went to the caddy and don't think I'd ever go back unless I wanted to make an all out drag car.
Being a big guy i had twice as much room in the drivers seatr of my SS as i do in the V.

They are two way different cars though. I did repeatedly go mid 11s with the mods in my sig on 100 shot.......on a stock 10 bolt rear with 4.10s. Stock manifolds and all. I thought that was pretty impressive since right now with 500rwhp i couldnt go 11s but maybe once then id be replacing the diff.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I hate that my setup would go 11's in an fbody with drag radials, but I still love the V. I don't mind having to make more power to go faster Its fun.

Quick Reply: Welp, broke it..haha