Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Got my OBX headers today, first impression.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big reg
Check the other guys posts. He has had a problem with everything he installed. This pretty much just sold me on a set. How is the ground clearance with these?
Here's a few pics.. Great ground clearance.

ALSO A VIDEO!!! YEAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXkC7aG52I
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Now we're talkin good stuff vicious can't wait to get my Maggie and obx's put on
Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile obx

Originally Posted by itsslow98
not sure itd be a good idea to do 1 7/8 headers with a turbo setup anyways.
why is that?I have heads that flow app. 330cfm @625 lift....with a rear mounted turbo.....the exhaust valves will stay open a lot longer due to the duration of my new bullet cam...i am not a mechanic nor builder but it seems to make sense to get all that exhaust flowing quicker to the rear turbo....i will ask my builder and check ....thanks for bringing that up, cause u might have a point there ps: i have heard that the stock exhaust system flows very well, so maybe headers are a waste of $$ anyway
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

1-7/8 headers vs 1-3/4 with a turbo will result in delayed spool time due to the velocity of the gases exiting the motor. Your piston is going to push the exhaust out, that increase pressure in the exhaust system helps spool your turbo sooner. Doesn't matter for s/c setups because they are belt driven. Getting gases out as fast as you can makes a more efficient motor, but in reference to turbos.... Whole different theory!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

i installed them on thursday, and everything went smooth, EXCEPT the steering shaft DOES rub against the header. im gonna jack up the car tomorrow and see if i can hammer it a little. i dont feel like taking the header off the car to do it though. and i also didnt see the need for header wrap. i did purchase some DEI cool-tape though and put it in some places just in case.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GREG O.
why is that?I have heads that flow app. 330cfm @625 lift....with a rear mounted turbo.....the exhaust valves will stay open a lot longer due to the duration of my new bullet cam...i am not a mechanic nor builder but it seems to make sense to get all that exhaust flowing quicker to the rear turbo....i will ask my builder and check ....thanks for bringing that up, cause u might have a point there ps: i have heard that the stock exhaust system flows very well, so maybe headers are a waste of $$ anyway
Soooooooo your the guy that bought Mikenices rear-mouned turbo V I see... Question for you then... How much power is it making to he wheels? There was speculation as to how much it made..... And please tell me that your actually racing her?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -T-
1-7/8 headers vs 1-3/4 with a turbo will result in delayed spool time due to the velocity of the gases exiting the motor. Your piston is going to push the exhaust out, that increase pressure in the exhaust system helps spool your turbo sooner. Doesn't matter for s/c setups because they are belt driven. Getting gases out as fast as you can makes a more efficient motor, but in reference to turbos.... Whole different theory!
I think a lot of it has to do with the turbo(s) you select and the placement of the units, more than the primary size (within reason). The turbine wheel already acts as a restriction of sorts and depending on where and how you have your wastegate valve, that too can act as a restriction, etc...Not saying that 1 7/8" is necessarily better than 1 3/4" (which is probably better in *most* applications), but there is much more than just the size of the primary/collector, such as runner lengths, routing, bends and so on...

More important is to keep the gasses as hot as possible and install the turbo as close to the exhaust ports as possible. The heat energy help spin the turbine, in addition to the velocity (which I believe could increase with heat). Partially why manifolds (cast iron) work so well vs. headers, in that regard.

There's a lot to an effecient turbo setup, obviously, and much of it's been covered elsewhere so not gonna bore ya here
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HEaders look nice, seem to sit a tad lower then Kooks but not bad at all.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Launching!

So, Vcious, you had no issues? And Plastus85, your steering shaft is hitting the primary?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell you right now that I'll be ordering my set soon. The price really can't be beat.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Can I put HFC on this header?
If I can does it goes to the resonator spot?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking the steering shaft rubs due to my motor mounts being trashed. UUC mounts on order, should help
Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerlion
Can I put HFC on this header?
If I can does it goes to the resonator spot?
yeah you would just have to have an exhaust shop fab this up for you, really should not be hard.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

I installed these, picked up 24 rwhp with the stock cat-back. The steering shaft seems to rub a little... going to bang it out whenever I get some free time.

It was a BITCH of an install for mine. Not sure why. Everyone else had easy times but mine was ridiculous... took 9 hours... but it did give me a reason to replace both engine mounts too, so that was nifty.

The headers seem to be great quality... the girlfriend got me the right present this year =P

Now at 372 rwhp... Next is cut-outs and our NSSP cam.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by andrewzpsu
I installed these, picked up 24 rwhp with the stock cat-back. The steering shaft seems to rub a little... going to bang it out whenever I get some free time.

It was a BITCH of an install for mine. Not sure why. Everyone else had easy times but mine was ridiculous... took 9 hours... but it did give me a reason to replace both engine mounts too, so that was nifty.

The headers seem to be great quality... the girlfriend got me the right present this year =P

do you have any pics of your exhaust set-up and is it loud with the factory catback? i wanna put some headers on but i dont want my **** all loud. to me, that would defeat the purpose of driving a cadillac. i guess im getting old! lol!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds stock to me. It is VERY quiet. You might here it a little bit at the header area, but at the ehxuast you can't here it at all.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

It sounds stock to me. It is VERY quiet. You might here it a little bit at the header area, but at the ehxuast you can't here it at all.
That's GREAT bang for the buck...I'm glad to see some #'s on what HP these picked up. As far as the difficulty factor, it seems to vary by vehicle.... Surely the headers can't be that different by set.....I know there was a lot different clearance issues before changing my motor mounts.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks and sounds great!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered mine today, will try to install myself and save the $400 they are trying to charge at these shops.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

24 rwhp was that with a tune at the same time...??

Quick Reply: Got my OBX headers today, first impression.....