Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Terrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the PCM uses injector pulse width * rpm and takes into account O2 sensor fuel trims to compute consumed fuel. When I fuel up I compare that to the fuel used in the DIC and if it's close I just go by computed average MPG.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you change injectors for a H/C swap you can throw the DIC MPG out the window. Way to many variables in the tune for it to be accurate, unless using Greg Banish's data for injectors to keep things in line.

As for the our current gas killing mileage, it does. Our fuels stoich is now around 14.1 instead of 14.7

Logging Fuel trims on a 800 mile trip I was averaging -2 LTFT everywhere, then filled up in NC that had no ethanol in the fuel and trims quickly went to -7LTFT everywhere. Proving you needed less gas than with the E10 fuel were given.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbrown7888
haha, i have that same problem too. Any one runing a tornado in thier intake? The way it seems is the bigger the engine the better the gain.
lol!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the jester 812
i have always wondered about this. i understand what your saying, but, when someone fills their tank, THAT'S where things get VERY inaccurate. you could be off by almost gallon depending if you top off, there was a lot of foam which caused the nozzle to click off, too many factors. i personally think that the DIC is more accurate because it has programmed into it how much fuel our cars use at what throttle level. now it may get off when mods are done that increase or decrease the engine efficiency. this is all just my .02, not meant as an argument
I understand what you're saying and it could be hard to be exact everytime, with regard to when it's actually "filled". I suppose if you always stop at the first 'click', it would be close enough, but yeah sometimes I notice the pump likes to click off prematurely, especially when cold. It's not so bad in the CTS, as it was in my GTO (2006), but I noticed you have to seat the nozzle in just right (more on the GTO) to get it to pump properly and full. Least that's how it is with our commi smog pumps here in CA, lol.

I like to use the electronic cpu reading for a good reference and notice it is relatively accurate when you're doing a steady, long drive. As for mpg logs, I rarely compute them since I hardly fill up, although been in a habit of writing my mileage down for the last 20+ years (why, who knows..one of those habit things, I suppose).

So, yeah, no argument here, just have to try and keep your fill-ups as consistent as possible and guess you could use both methods to get a good ballpark mpg.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

In the last 13,000 miles my '05's never averaged better than 19.8 mpg just this week. 95% highway at 75 mph. Usually it's about 16 average in summer and low 15's in winter.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^damn...on my last long distance roadtrip, Abilene, TX to Tracy, CA (1575 miles). i did 75 to 80 most of the way, with a couple pulls to 120. i went through 7000 feet of elevation change and ran with the A/C on 90% of the time. i was averaging 26.5 mpg there and 26.3 back.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bbrown7888
I did not make this thread to bitch about gas mileage, I bought a V8 muscle car to... have a V8 muscle car, not get good MPG's
im with you, one time my friends wife saw that i was getting 24mpg hwy and said "wow that's horrible, shouldn't you be getting better than that?" her thinking was that it is a car, and in her mind a car is a car is a car. but i said, nope, this car has a 400hp corvette engine in it. 24mpg is damn good in my mind. i traded in my 2008 TBSS for this car, i went from high 13's to low 13's and from 16mpg hwy to 24mpg hwy. I get to row my own gears AND i now drive a caddy. doesnt get much better for me
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the jester 812
im with you, one time my friends wife saw that i was getting 24mpg hwy and said "wow that's horrible, shouldn't you be getting better than that?" her thinking was that it is a car, and in her mind a car is a car is a car. but i said, nope, this car has a 400hp corvette engine in it. 24mpg is damn good in my mind. i traded in my 2008 TBSS for this car, i went from high 13's to low 13's and from 16mpg hwy to 24mpg hwy. I get to row my own gears AND i now drive a caddy. doesnt get much better for me
I feel ya...I do hear people that say "If you've got a car like that you shouldn't have to worry about gas mileage." To an extent that is a valid point, but now these cars going in the mid teens, there are more budget minded drivers than there were when they were all owned by people that payed 50k +.....Now in saying that if MPG's were what I was concerned with "FIRST"...I wouldn't own a 400hp V8 car...I do average about 18.5 city and 24 hwy
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Launching!

You want better mileage? Put 3.07's back in the rear.

Probably pick up a few on the highway. Maybe a bit more top end too.
Of course, it'll suuuuck off the line.

Unless someone wants to be the guinea pig and change out 5th and 6th gear ratios to taller ones? Not me.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JNR_Design

Finally, I almost always shift below 2k if I'm cruising around town and get up to a higher gear as soon as practical and just try to keep it smooth and steady (acceleration); that helps keep the mileage up there. I haven't gauged how many mpg is pure city, but with 1/2 and 1/2 driving (I do ~80 on highway), I'll usually get 18ish...on long drives, I've gotten avg. 23-24 mpg at around 75 mph and as high as 27, but that was a sustained 65 mph.

One last thing is I believe many of these 'save the earth' blends they give us yield less mpg, apples to apples.
Ahh I wish I could shift below 2k, I am always working at keeping the car above 2k, below 2k is when my car makes that damn drone from the exhaust, if I could stop that from happening I'd def be below the 2k all the time lol
Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if you're far from stock, the DIC is still good as an indicator (during long trips on the highway) to keep your mileage up via monitoring for as high a figure as possible. Whether it's accurate or not doesn't really matter, it's the relevance that counts.

With all the fuel and air tables tuned for my combo, it's data is still useless for accurate fuel consumption predictions.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

I changed my oil and installed a K&N air filter. It's gone up to a steady 14.5MPG and the about 85% city driving in about 30 degree weather. K&N air filter is my only mod... if it is even considered one.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

If I'm playing in the city it is below 10mpg. At 60mph I get 30mpg but usually average 15mpg to a tank unless I go on a trip or something. I could tune the car a bit leaner for better gas but like previously stated, I didnt buy this car to get good gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Terrible gas mileage