Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

anyone attempt dropping the oil pan without motor removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone attempt dropping the oil pan without motor removal?

As the title states.
Just wondering if anyone knows if the oil pan on a 2005 cts-v can be dropped and removed without motor removal.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i highly doubt iotll come out with the motor in.. and even if u do wiggle it out.. trying to get it to seal when u install it will be a nightmare
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The seal is riveted to the pan, it will stay in place. However, I don't think you can get the pan out from over the crossmember because there is only about 1/2" of clearance from the inside of the bottom of the pan to the oil pickup tube. You would have to at least raise the motor. That's easy enough by just unbolting the mount brakets from the block.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The seal is riveted to the pan, it will stay in place. However, I don't think you can get the pan out from over the crossmember because there is only about 1/2" of clearance from the inside of the bottom of the pan to the oil pickup tube. You would have to at least raise the motor. That's easy enough by just unbolting the mount brakets from the block.

Thought about that... but is raising the motor enough? - I should have stated that in the beginning.
I guess no one has attempted this...
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you may be able to get away with just raising it about 1".
Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I think you may be able to get away with just raising it about 1".

The pan will drop enough to clear the pickup and or windage tray...?

Have have done this before?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down no way

Ther is a way but it will not be fun i can tell you that MUCH well what i did was that i put the car on 4 stans and i got an engine hoist and put a strap and whent from header to header you have to undo the motor mounts and i put a hidrolik jack under the front drivetrain and take off yhe 6 bolts that hold the front drivetrain and lower it as much as you need to work if this helps but you need more help you can PM me and ill give you my cell so you can call me may god be with you lol
Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im pretty sure you have to seperate the motor from the cradle... so you would have to have a cherry picker to hold the motor from the top while you removed the cradle. Of course while the car is up on 4 jack stands.

With the cradle out of the way it would be pretty easy. Id make sure to put a couple jack stands under the motor/trans too just to take some stress off the cherry picker. Just make sure the motor doesnt move too much as you can break stuff off the back of the intake if it hits the body.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 ctsv oil pan pull without motor

Originally Posted by vmapper
As the title states.
Just wondering if anyone knows if the oil pan on a 2005 cts-v can be dropped and removed without motor removal.
I'm doing it currently you have to bring the whole subframe down and my trick to keeping the motoe suspended is leaving the mounts on ans using jack stands to keep them up while everyrhing is hooked up (this job sucks)

Quick Reply: anyone attempt dropping the oil pan without motor removal?