Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

NEED MORE INTEREST: CTS-V1 to CTS-V2 Brake Upgrade (Front Calipers/Rotors/SS Lines)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by aurora40
How, in spirited street driving, could they result in 10' shorter stops from 60mph? I can easily lock up the tires with the stock brakes on the street. More brake won't result in more braking.
Just because you can lock up the brakes doesn't mean that you've maximized braking. Otherwise, we'd all still be rockin' drums or 11" rotors with single-piston calipers.

Originally Posted by aurora40
I don't doubt these are better on the track, but on the street??
I don't know that anyone doing or contemplating the upgrade is doing it for street performance.

Originally Posted by DMM
$1365.00 for the rotors...$700.00 for the V2 calipers, $230.00 for pads, $200.00 (?) for brake lines. I am sure they look great, but don't know how many people can justify $2500.00 on this. Can't you get near 10ft with upgrading to high performance pads? Noisey, yes, but for track days....
I'm upgrading because with 2-piece rotors, cooling ducts, Castrol SRF fluid, and the most aggressive track pads from 3 different manufacturers I was still not confident in the brakes for a 25min track session. And that was with stockish power - when the car gets back on the road (some point this century... ) it'll be up in the 475-500bhp range, so carrying even more speed into the braking zones.

Good street pads are ~$150, and there's no need to change the brake lines. I'm drilling a 6-bolt pattern on OEM V2 rotors, so if I manage to complete that task that's a heckuva lot cheaper than $1365 (although still not what I would call cheap ).

Last edited by AAIIIC; 04-10-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
He knows - he's running them.
You gossiping bitch . I don't know where some of you got the prices, but I already had V1 RB front/rear rotors and pads, and RB extended a loyal customer discount to me for the upgrade of rotors and pads. If a GP were put together for the RB front V2 rotor conversions, and Luke were contacted about a GP for the calipers and hardware, the prices would be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what I've seen in this thread. I'm saying that after selling the V1 RB front rotors, the OEM calipers, pads, and hardware, I have much less than people think in the conversion.

Do what you want. I really don't care, but someone with the time and huevos to contact the vendors and put together GPs is going to get good prices. I've put together GPs for members on different sites, and more often than not we've walked away with big savings and a happy vendor. RB and Luke are definitely reputable vendors.

As AAIIIC stated, the calipers are larger, although little if no difference in weight, the pads on the V2 are enormous compared to the V1, the V2 calipers offer a stiffness the V1s can't match, and the V1 brake lines will work. Just have to drill the spindles for the larger V2 caliper bolts. I've had to relearn to press the brake pedal lighter just driving around town. With the same pad compound, the initial bit is greater, and the first bedding session indicated to me they are gong to suck out my eyeballs until the tires lose grip.

BTW, the last generation GTO crowd is dying to get their hands on V1 calipers. That's where I sold mine, calipers/pads/hardware/bolts/etc.

My total cost after selling off the old parts was far less than $1k....for 6 pot calipers and near 15" 2-piece floating brake rotors, great pads, and hardware. Can't beat it. Uber stopping power, probably no fade, geez, talk about bang for the buck.

Stop being a bunch of contentious ***** and just do it.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Well, this does it for me...i'm sold. The thread should have started with this in the first place...but no, you had to wait until page two.

Seriously though, $1k is not hard to swallow. This was never hinted at and all we have to go on is the prices that have already been listed. How much did you unload your V1 junk for?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you just have the rotors drilled for 6 lug and the spindles re tapped for bigger caliper bolt and everything from a V2 bolts on??
Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

In addition to re-drilling the bolt pattern on the V2 rotor, you also have to get the center bore enlarged. V2 hub bore is a couple/few millimeters smaller. It's aluminum, so not terribly difficult to work on, but I don't have the ability to cleanly enlarge the hole, so I had a machine shop do it.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Others who have owned both cars confirm that the V2 brakes are better, despite them having to haul down a few hundred more pounds. Bigger diameter rotor, significantly thicker rotor, larger pads all adds up to better performance. I look forward to finishing the setup on my car and getting it back on track.

He knows - he's running them.
Lol so? My comment was on the Deposit. Why would you put a deposit on something currently available for sale? What would the deposit be for? To hold your place in line? Oh yea, to wait for a discount? Seriously who would do that? I guess a cheap mf
Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lubelizard
You gossiping bitch . I don't know where some of you got the prices, but I already had V1 RB front/rear rotors and pads, and RB extended a loyal customer discount to me for the upgrade of rotors and pads. If a GP were put together for the RB front V2 rotor conversions, and Luke were contacted about a GP for the calipers and hardware, the prices would be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what I've seen in this thread. I'm saying that after selling the V1 RB front rotors, the OEM calipers, pads, and hardware, I have much less than people think in the conversion.

Do what you want. I really don't care, but someone with the time and huevos to contact the vendors and put together GPs is going to get good prices. I've put together GPs for members on different sites, and more often than not we've walked away with big savings and a happy vendor. RB and Luke are definitely reputable vendors.

As AAIIIC stated, the calipers are larger, although little if no difference in weight, the pads on the V2 are enormous compared to the V1, the V2 calipers offer a stiffness the V1s can't match, and the V1 brake lines will work. Just have to drill the spindles for the larger V2 caliper bolts. I've had to relearn to press the brake pedal lighter just driving around town. With the same pad compound, the initial bit is greater, and the first bedding session indicated to me they are gong to suck out my eyeballs until the tires lose grip.

BTW, the last generation GTO crowd is dying to get their hands on V1 calipers. That's where I sold mine, calipers/pads/hardware/bolts/etc.

My total cost after selling off the old parts was far less than $1k....for 6 pot calipers and near 15" 2-piece floating brake rotors, great pads, and hardware. Can't beat it. Uber stopping power, probably no fade, geez, talk about bang for the buck.

Nobody cares dude. Get over yourself.

Quick Reply: NEED MORE INTEREST: CTS-V1 to CTS-V2 Brake Upgrade (Front Calipers/Rotors/SS Lines)